Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Posting Guru

13hondacr250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Propane Injection ???'s

I've got a used diesel that just last night I discovered a disconected propane cyclinder attatched to it. Truck had 28k on it when I got it. Just wondering where the injection would be hooked up to and how much extra wear and tear it puts on the engine? Anything dangerous to watch out for when running propane? I'm going to remove the bottle since I'm not going to use it.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Postmaster

Quadzilla is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Quadzilla is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There are a number of different propane injection systems, but one thing they have in common: the propane is bled into the intake airstream. Unless it was changed, look for a bung that has been capped.
Here's the deal with propane: it's a relatively inexpensive way to add a bunch of power. With power comes risks. Used in moderation, propane can/will increase your rear wheel horsepower by 80hp. If you run it on the edge, you can tweak a little more than 100hp out of it. Too much propane going into the system too soon can damage the engine. It's safer to stay in the 80hp range. Using propane in moderation doesn't add wear and tear. It's the hard, abusive driving that would add wear and tear. I love my system, and would do it again in a second, if I needed to. Here's a word of caution, though. You're dealing with a highly flammable gas, in fairly large quantities, and it's under pressure. With propane, there are no little mistakes.

'13 F-250 Platinum CC SB 4X4 Powerstroke.
'13 Timber Ridge 280RKS
Old 02-10-2004, 05:40 PM
Senior User

JMorton is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you remove the tank, How much do you want for it?? I'm considering installing propane in the future??
97 Crewcab PSD, Wildman chip, DIY-injectors stage 1's, SD Intercooler, 3" DP, 4" straight pipe, DIY exhaust brake, Tymar, Shimmed FPR, Bully Dog propane, Diesel Turbo Lifesaver, Autometer Gauges, B&W hitch, Timbren SES.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:18 AM
Senior User

Bossman7121 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
What does it do to fuel economy if anything? Can you recommend a good kit, or DIY site?

FTE
Old 02-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Posting Guru

13hondacr250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Jmorton, its just a gas grill 4 gallon tank. Nothing special.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Senior User

shendoa is starting off with a positive reputation.
is it under truck in a vertical position? or horisontal = that is refillable from it position without talking it out. if it is horisontal i will buy it from you.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:19 PM
Postmaster

Quadzilla is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Quadzilla is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
What does it do to fuel economy if anything? Can you recommend a good kit, or DIY site?
It depends on whether you use your new power for good or evil. Those that use the propane sparingly report mpg increases of 1-2mpg, primarily on the freeway. Those of us that turn up the flow don't see a real change in the mpg, but have a lot more fun than before.
I've got the Powershot2000 system and that is available through a number of dealers. Rockin-S-Performance is one of them. TYMAR is another.

'13 Timber Ridge 280RKS
Old 02-12-2004, 06:33 PM
Senior User

Bossman7121 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks. Gonna check 'em out. Heard a lot of good so far with the typically spattering of blown engines thrown in.

FTE
Old 02-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Postmaster

The problem with people blowing up their engines results in overdoing it with the propane. They tend to want to turn it up beyond the safe zone, trying to milk every drop of hp out of it. There's a safer way. If/when you get a system, I'll be glad to get you off to a good start, and keep your truck together.

'13 Timber Ridge 280RKS
Old 02-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Postmaster

barebackjake is starting off with a positive reputation.
i run propane injection on my work van 97 GMC 6.5 l Turbo diesel
love it. 20 mpg in a 14' box van that usually is runnin down the road bout 10,000 lbs and ive always got my foot in it. pyrometer it a must and just gotta be careful with it and not go crazy with it and make sure its all top quality fittings and hoses your using. Oil comes out of the motor at 5,000 miles looks like it came out of a gas truck. gonna do it on my 97 PSD soon after i finish putting the intercooler and gauges in it

RIP CHRIS. 03/09/05
Old 02-12-2004, 10:01 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
97, f350, injection, propane