Oil Pressure problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 02:43 PM
jeepmauler
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oil Pressure problems

Motor: New to me ,'70 429, bored .030 over,"cam" and under 10K on the rebuild ,so I'm told.Finally get install completed into tow rig and find the distributor is a tooth off, I fix it. Last night I'm runnin the truck around my neighborhood trying to get the timing,"just right" With the cam that is in it, the timing light is useless.I'm running it "hard" in the primaries,stopping every so often to make timing changes.....

The PROBLEM: ...........all of a sudden I get a "stuck" lifter at the back,pass. side of the motor,kitty corner from the oil pump.I look at the oil pressure guage instantly notice that the pressure is lower than I've ever seen it.
I drive it around a little more to see if the lifter will pump back up,it doesn't.Nose it back into the garage and the FRONT MAINSEAL is pouring oil out

Oil pump be bad? I have fresh 10w30 in the motor,maybe go to straight 50w? Pull the pan and investigate? Any help would great TIA.

..................**THREE DAYS LATER**......................

I have replaced the oil pump,the filter,switched to a mechanical guage that I know works,"purged the oil gallery"

I have 'FLOW' but NO real pressure. At 3K it makes around 25 psi at the most...... Is the bottom toast?

I checked out the bottom of the motor when I had the pan off and it had obviously been gone through "recently" There was .020 written on the crank,I'm assuming crank turned twenty under.Real clean like the block was tanked etc. What next? TIA

Old 02-09-2004, 05:55 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just curiosity, but since you mentioned the crank was .020 under, do you know if the rebuilder used the correct sized bearings on the rods and mains? If he didn't, you have a massive oil leak on the crank. I have seen so called "experts" use the wrong clearances in the past, now I don't always trust experts unless they have a money back guarantee. I prefer to do it myself if I know how.

Not sure why the front main seal is pouring oil unless you had no pressure and cooked the seal. If that is the case you probably also cooked the rear seal, dang.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson