Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.
View Poll Results: what should i do buy the dodge or keep looking
buy the dodge
33.33%
keep looking
66.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

got levers for the tranfer case

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 05:42 PM
4wheelinbroncos
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got levers for the tranfer case

what is with all the push button 4wd on the new trucks? i have been looking at buying a super duty with a power stroke and a lever for the transfer case and manual locking hubs no delership that ive been to has anything like that and told me i wont find a new one like that i would have to buy an old one but i want a new one. cant they make a truck with just basic stuff but i did find a dodge with that stuff but hay at least it aint no chebby i really dont have anything agenced dodges but i like fords better. i would rather have a ford. should i buy the dodge or keep looking for the ford

Old 02-14-2004, 06:59 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Why don't you order it? You will get it for invoice, plus the rebates.

There is a user here, that specializes in finding vehicles.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the dodge, as long as you get a manual tranny.

Old 02-14-2004, 08:25 PM
Fordman65
Senior User
I've got a 98 ford with a maual transfer case - yet automatic hubs. I'm sure I could buy manual hubs at least in the aftermarket - I"m sure if you do your homework you can find the setup you're looking for, although you might have to hit the aftermarket for the hubs.

Old 02-14-2004, 09:59 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Fordman65
arn't the hubs on those trucks auto & manual?

Old 02-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Fordman65
Senior User
Well, I guess I'm not very educated on the newer automatic 4x4 systems so I'm not going to claim that I REALLY know what I"m talking about, but I don't have a dial on my hubs to lock it in or anything, the hubs just lock a second after I engage my transfer case - and disengage after I take the transfer case out of 4wd. I'm pretty sure the transfer case is purely a mechanical linkage with a switch in the lever that activates a vacum system of some sort to engage the hubs? If anyone can educate me on this feel free. I guess I havn't had any problems with my system so far so I havn't felt the need to look it over in the service manual or monkey with it. Sometimes its a little annoying though that I have to wait a moment for the hubs to catch, but I can deal with that. My 65 is much more simple - full time hubs and a manual T-case. VERY basic!

P.S. if you look in my gallery you can see my T-case lever.

-Aaron

Last edited by Fordman65; 02-14-2004 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:11 PM
couleeman
Posting Guru
I am pretty sure you can order the manual hubs and lever in the Superduty. You will never find one at the dealer as it is an item that for the most part, nobody wants.

Old 02-15-2004, 11:55 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im pretty sure they're all auto hubs, even if there manual...with that said, i mean they're always enguaged and the lock out is just in case the auto fails...dont know if its true but it seems really stupid on Fords part...

Old 02-16-2004, 12:00 AM
Fordman65
Senior User
huh? lost me on that one....

Old 02-16-2004, 06:35 PM
ck5.4
New User
I've got a 2000 F-250 with manual hubs and manual shifter. Don't know about the brand new ones but I'm sure you won't just stumble on one sitting on a lot. My suggestion is to at least inquire about ordering it or get with a dealer you want to work with and tell him exactly what you want and let him/her do the work. They are able to find trucks all over if they want to. I agree with you wanting levers but I woudln't go buy a dodge over it.

2000 F-250 XLT SuperCab, 5.4, 5 spd, 4X4

Old 02-16-2004, 08:29 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I looked at a 2003 that had both a manual t-case, and hubs.... It's hard to see that the hubs are manual unless you look real close....

Old 02-16-2004, 09:31 PM
MJD
Elder User
Originally posted by couleeman
I am pretty sure you can order the manual hubs and lever in the Superduty. You will never find one at the dealer as it is an item that for the most part, nobody wants.
I think that quite a few people would prefer the lever, but dealerships order mostly electric junk, so people buy that. I think that dealerships do this so they will make a little more money on the sale, as well as possible repair costs.

I have noticed that most Dodge dealerships supply most of their pickups with levers. I know of one dealership that has two single cab Superduties with electric t-cases that have not been sold in at least six months. Putting electric junk in a pickup that will probably be used for work is not a smart idea.

Old 02-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Steelheader14
Senior User
I don't think Dodge or GM offer true manual locking hubs and a part time transfer case. They may have a lever, but the hubs are automatic.

My 03 F250 works just like my 78 Bronco...and I like it that way. And btw...I had to order mine, it's a very easy process and you do get good deals.

Old 02-17-2004, 04:34 PM
MJD
Elder User
Hubs do not exist on new Chevys and Dodges. Dodge frontends cannot be unlocked. In other words, the frontend spins all of the time. The used to have a center axle disconnect, but it caused some problems. The Chevy uses a center axle disconnect system. CAD is more reliable than the auto hubs that Ford seems to favor, but it is also very problematic. The lockout hubs that manual t-case SDs come with is by far the best system out there, followed by the new Dodge's.

Dodge and Chevy both DO offer a lever shift t-case, but of any brand including Ford, Dodge seems to be the best about equipping pickups with a lever t-case.

Old 02-17-2004, 10:39 PM
bigdieseldav
Senior User
Originally posted by Fordman65
Well, I guess I'm not very educated on the newer automatic 4x4 systems so I'm not going to claim that I REALLY know what I"m talking about, but I don't have a dial on my hubs to lock it in or anything, the hubs just lock a second after I engage my transfer case - and disengage after I take the transfer case out of 4wd. I'm pretty sure the transfer case is purely a mechanical linkage with a switch in the lever that activates a vacum system of some sort to engage the hubs? If anyone can educate me on this feel free. I guess I havn't had any problems with my system so far so I havn't felt the need to look it over in the service manual or monkey with it. Sometimes its a little annoying though that I have to wait a moment for the hubs to catch, but I can deal with that. My 65 is much more simple - full time hubs and a manual T-case. VERY basic!

P.S. if you look in my gallery you can see my T-case lever.

-Aaron

Fordman65,

the reason you don't have a dial on your hubs is cause you have a half ton, if i read your sig correctly. The f250's and 350's with the straight axle have the auto/lock dials on the hubs. then of course the dial or lever is optional....

Old 02-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Fordman65
Senior User
Originally posted by bigdieseldav
Fordman65,

the reason you don't have a dial on your hubs is cause you have a half ton, if i read your sig correctly. The f250's and 350's with the straight axle have the auto/lock dials on the hubs. then of course the dial or lever is optional....
True - it may not even be an option on the half tons now - but my uncle had an 87 F150 half ton that had the auto/lock dials on the axle. - so they were availible on the half ton before.