Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Cummins set to take the lead?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 10:25 PM
rancherman84
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the IH 806 came out about the same time as the 4020,has about the same hp etc.we have two of them with over 10,000 hrs on them and get used every day.we have all red equipment and i work for a red dealer,bleed red to.

Old 02-20-2004, 10:42 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Uh-oh, one of THEM........a whole 'nother debate is about to get started here......better stop while we're ahead before this thread gets killed.

We did have a IH 464 but it burned up the engine at 4500 hours, replaced it with a JD 5205. Granddaddy was seeing "red" when he found out how much it would cost to fix it as well as transport it to and from that dealer. That justified the switch to green even more.

20 years ago, there was a IH dealer, a Ford/New Holland dealer, a Massey Ferguson dealer, an Allis-Chalmers dealer, and the JD dealer in the next town. All of them went out of business by 1989 except the John Deere dealer. In fact, that JD dealer is thriving to this day. In a world where the big ag mfg. co's have been shrinking, John Deere has been the only one able to expand.

The Power Tech line is a very good line of engines. They are used in tractors, combines, and industrial applications as well. I have been impressed with their sheer capability. I saw a JD 9420 at the tractor pull hook up to the sled with all the weights they could find on it (around 100,000 pounds), and that tractor still was able to UPshift through the gears and if it won't for the 300 foot marker, he woulda gone clean on through the woods.

For relevance to this thread, last farm trade show I went to, the biggest Cummins powered tractor (Versatile brand I think) there was a N14 which only had about 220 horsepower, same physical size as the 9000 series John Deere. That Versatile tractor was very cheap looking, body was made out of metal as thin as you would find on a Murray lawnmower. The largest John Deere there was a 9520 with a 425 horsepower Power Tech engine. It was displayed with a pay scraper pan.

Last edited by MW95F250; 02-20-2004 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:45 AM
cumminsalltheway
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont know what your smokin but the cummins is #1 in torque and horsepower and if ford is the best why dont the compare them on the commercials

Old 02-26-2004, 11:50 AM
cheapfeel
Junior User
Commercials are a bunch of Bull****. Companys are just trying to make a dime by comparing one against the other. When in all reality...does 20 more horsepower really make or break which vehicle you buy??

Also if you bought a diesel truck, and figure you need more power, and now your kicking yourself for not buying the "other" truck which did have that extra horsepower, then go put a chip in your truck and be done with it...

Old 02-26-2004, 06:07 PM
AAFD
Junior User
Originally posted by cumminsalltheway
i dont know what your smokin but the cummins is #1 in torque and horsepower and if ford is the best why dont the compare them on the commercials
Yes, the CTD has more Torque but both have 325 HP, the ford has a better 5 speed auto.

KC

Old 02-26-2004, 06:23 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally posted by cheapfeel
Commercials are a bunch of Bull****. Companys are just trying to make a dime by comparing one against the other. When in all reality...does 20 more horsepower really make or break which vehicle you buy??

EXACTLY. That's why we bought Dodge this time even before the upgrade to 600 lb./ft. Because it's the price, dependablility, fuel economy, and longevity that really counts. No one could feel the 5 lb./ft. of extra torque the PSD had last year, but they felt that financial hit they took when it was in the shop frequently. I'm glad someone else realizes that commercials are like politicians...they rarely tell the truth.

Old 02-26-2004, 07:45 PM
emxmagnum
Senior User
hey all, i gotta question???

everyone on here is always talkin about all the trouble ford has with the new 6.0. i know of quite a few people that bought em. the only one that had any trouble bought his the month they came out. his fuel pump went shot at 6000 miles, but nothing since. and no one else i know has any trouble. its like anything else, no matter how much testing you do, theres bound to be bugs. even years later for that matter. gm just recalled about 600,000 vehicles. and dodge, ford, and chevy all have about the same number of defects per vehicle...its bound to happen. mass production is not like cuttin grass...there are alot of people involved. just give ford time, and quit being so unreasonable. even the "almighty cummins" has trouble. when they intoduced the HO a couple years back, they were lightin up all over the place, catchin on fire before the first oil change. whether or not any truck is any better than any other truck is up to the person....and i hope that bit about case iH collaborating on the new cummins is true...i know a diehard john deere/dodge fan that'll love that!!!

Old 02-26-2004, 08:03 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
The only changes that might happen to the Dodge would be the change to a Mercedes diesel or a Detroit Diesel.

At which point, Ford would either pick up the Cummins, or get John Deere to make an engine, because I think the Ford/IH relationship soured over the F-150 V-6 diesel deal that fell through. It would be great if Cat would make a pickup diesel, but that is highly unlikely.

I have heard that GM will be dropping the Duramax around '07 or '08, but right now thats just hearsay. I think its because Isuzu bought themselves back from GM, because of what GM did to their car lines, so that leads me to think the GM/Isuzu relationship may be souring as well.

By the way there is a Duramax I-6 in the C-7500 and C-8500, it's a 7.8L I-6 with the same technology in the V-8 Duramax in it.

Old 02-26-2004, 09:13 PM
oppy
Laughing Gas
When did DC buy Detroit Diesel? I thought they were a GM division. Shows how much I know, eh?

Old 02-26-2004, 09:14 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
I think they've had Detroit since the Freightliner purchase. That's the best I can tell you.

In reference to pickup diesels, the 6.2L Chevy and the 6.5L had some things from Detroit Diesels on them, but I'm not sure what they are.

Old 02-26-2004, 09:56 PM
MJD
Elder User
I think that the 6.2 is a Detroit engine and the 6.5 was designed by Detroit for GM. I am not sure if I am right on that or not. I think that DC bought Detroit about 4 years ago. They had owned part of it before that.

Old 02-26-2004, 11:21 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The 6.0L problems are just propaganda. Very few trucks actually had a problem. International Harvester was hot testing 20% of the engines and never had a serious problem. Most of the "problems" are being spread around by people that don't own them.

Old 02-27-2004, 02:10 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Originally posted by cumminsalltheway
Yeah, they are #1 in torque again now that Ford sent them back to the drawing board with the PSD. Nothing like a redesign one year after your major competitor to put you back on top.

Anyway, back in the real world here, I heard that the IH 6 cylinder diesel that was originally thought to be going to the F-150s ended up on a drawing board for the Hummer H2? I haven't heard that in a while, but can someone validate that for me?

Old 02-27-2004, 07:03 PM
Cummins 600
Freshman User
Originally posted by FordLariat
Yeah, they are #1 in torque again now that Ford sent them back to the drawing board with the PSD. Nothing like a redesign one year after your major competitor to put you back on top.

Anyway, back in the real world here, I heard that the IH 6 cylinder diesel that was originally thought to be going to the F-150s ended up on a drawing board for the Hummer H2? I haven't heard that in a while, but can someone validate that for me?
And Duramax sent everybody back to the drawing board. Whats your point? It's called innovation and competition.

Old 02-28-2004, 01:40 AM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the duramax told everyone you couldn't put alloy heads on a cast iron block.

Quick Reply: Cummins set to take the lead?