Camshaft Sensor/Synchronizer Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:38 AM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob's F-250
It is confirmed my bearings are toast. I ordered a long block from National Parts and now begin the task of moving all the stuff (Oil Pan, Flywheel, Timing chain cover, Water Pump, Lower & Upper Intake manifolds, Valve Covers, CPS assembly, Alternator, AC compressor, Power steering pump)from the old block to the new one.
Sorry to hear that. There used to be an electric pre-luber available. I can't find them any more. Seems something like that could save the engine in this case if it was set up to come on and set an alarm if oil pressure drops too low.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Bob's F-250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most definitely or some kind of audible alarm telling you to get your foot off the gas and shut er down.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:10 AM
ford sport
New User
i have a 2001 ford explorer sport trac 4.0l sohc were is the camshaft posistion sensor the computer told me code po340 please help

Old 08-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Bob's F-250
New User
CPS location

Go to page 3 of this thread and there is a good pic of location. I believe it shows for a 3.0 but maybe the 4.0 is close to the same place. Hope this helps.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:58 PM
Dcarlson
New User
ford

P1039 – Vehicle Speed Signal Missing or Improper that could be the problem with your expedition!

Old 09-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Dcarlson
New User
Originally Posted by plrogers11
I have a '98 Ford Expedition 4wd with check engine light code P1309. My mechanic replaced the cam sensor and reset the computer, but the code came back. Both mechanic and I agree, the engine is running strong and we don't hear any noises. Mechanic suggested taking it to the dealer.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Misfire Detection Monitor not enabled this maybe the problem! or not

Old 09-26-2011, 09:17 PM
Dcarlson
New User
Originally Posted by ford sport
i have a 2001 ford explorer sport trac 4.0l sohc were is the camshaft posistion sensor the computer told me code po340 please help
Code # po340 Camshaft position sensor is maybe right if you have any more problems just google it what kind of automobile you have and what engine and then type in the code!

Old 09-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Dcarlson
New User
I rebuilt a 2000 f150 4.2l v6 i put it together with everything else, Getting a weak spark it has a crank shaft sencor, a distributer box, and a synchronizer which is pretty much a distributer is it because the timings a little off on the synchronizer because im getting a weak spark from the spark plugs? Also the new fuel pump doesnt pumps when i crank the engine over?

Old 03-04-2012, 10:43 PM
findparts
New User
Originally Posted by animal_friendly
Rockledge,

Thank you for your posts on this CMP/synchronizer problem. I was able to fix this problem and get that engine code off my '95 Ranger (after driving 100 miles) because of this thread and your responses. It makes me proud to own a Ford p/u!

PS. I couldn't find that synchronize alignment tool, but was able to bend an aluminum can tab and wedge it in the new one to keep it from moving.

Cheers!
Yep,,,This post did help out a lot...I timed my 1995 Ford Windstar 3.8 after replacing the motor.
But after doing some searching I did find the correct tool for my 1995 3.8lt. camshaft synchronizing tool.
Go to www.autorepairmanuals.biz and look for what your needing...Think its a great site..

Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 PM
findparts
New User
Originally Posted by Dcarlson
Code # po340 Camshaft position sensor is maybe right if you have any more problems just google it what kind of automobile you have and what engine and then type in the code!

Go to www.autorepairmanuals.biz They have about anything your looking for to make repairs...I did...

Old 03-04-2012, 10:52 PM
findparts
New User
I rebuilt a 2000 f150 4.2l v6 i put it together with everything else, Getting a weak spark it has a crank shaft sencor, a distributer box, and a synchronizer which is pretty much a distributer is it because the timings a little off on the synchronizer because im getting a weak spark from the spark plugs? Also the new fuel pump doesnt pumps when i crank the engine over?
Go to your local Auto Parts Store...Look through their manuals for this issue...If you set you #1 cyl correctly and put the sensor in its correct position. You should have it correct. The camshaft sensor play a roll in dispensing fuel to the injectors correctly...If you need the small tool to set it. First ask at the Auto Parts Shops around you..If they don't have what you need. Go to www.autorepaidmanuals.biz and look for your tool there. They have a lot to choose from for auto repairs...I find the pretty cheep for today's prices of everything else..

Old 03-04-2012, 11:01 PM
findparts
New User
P1039 – Vehicle Speed Signal Missing or Improper that could be the problem with your expedition!

Did you check to see if your speed sensor is working...Check to see where yours is located and its not that hard to replace...
For a few bucks take it to an Auto Shop and ask them to hook their code reader to it. Will tell you a lot and where to start looking to make correct repairs...Save you a lot of time and maybe some dollars in the long run...

Old 03-13-2012, 01:35 PM
ado2b1
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
B4000

This has been an incredibly informative read, and I'm glad to see it's still alive. My quick question: Can the cam synchronizer fail but leave the sensor intact where the ECM does not display any codes?

In reading through the entire thread over a couple of days there seemed to be a couple of posts that indicated this was possible, but nothing was ever confirmed. To quickly summarize my problem/vehicle: 1999 B4000, sometimes runs fine, occasionally cranks and cranks but won't start. Next day it will start fine (next hour for that matter). Fuel and computer problems have been eliminated. Reading through the post it seems like I've finally found the ticket, and am ordering the stuff today. However, if anyone has any additional input, I'm all ears. I know this is the 3.0 board but this is the most comprehensive thread I've read on this.

Thanks to all the previous posters who have battled and solved problems for the rest of us.

OGRE1

Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Rymur
New User
I have a 2003 ford ranger, it has a squeak my idler and tensioner pulleys were no good so I changed them and put a new belt on it later on the next day the squeak came back pulled belt off did a quick dry start squeak still present started poking around near back of engine squeak coming from cam position sensor/ syncronizer bearings haven't verified the fix since I haven't pulled it apart

Old 04-17-2012, 10:38 AM
ado2b1
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dredging up old posts with an update

Just to give an update on my particular post. It ended up being a crankshaft position sensor failure. No codes but I decided to attempt to start after replacing the CPK before getting into the cam synch replacement, and boom. Less than two revolutions and it fired right up. Its been running flawlessly for several days (fingers crossed). Also, tossed a new tensioner pulley on and completely eliminated all squeaking from the engine. Its like a brand new truck. Most importantly, the wife is happy again.

OGRE1

Quick Reply: Camshaft Sensor/Synchronizer Replacement