1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Fuel pump relay

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 06:08 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel pump relay

Theres a 6 wire connector & single wire connector that plugs into an EEC-4 code scanner. If I ground that single wire connector will it energize the fuel pump relay with the key in the run position?

Old 02-06-2004, 06:11 PM
TowinBob
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think so, but i'm not sure. I can't remember what the single wire is for. With a diagnostic computer like an OTC you can go into special options and toggle the fuel pump on and off.
Bob

Old 02-06-2004, 06:23 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Thanks Bob, theres a guy in the Aerostar forum with a no start/no fuel pump that I was trying to help out. From looking at the wiring diagram it "appears" that that single wire is spliced midway between the ECA & the FP relay. But it sez something about "used during vehicle assembly" thats got me wondering. Sounds like that OTC diagnostic computer would be kind of handy to have around.

Old 02-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I know I can ground the EEC Fuel Pump Test Pin on my '94 SHO ( which of course is also EEC-IV) and run the pump. Here's a writeup on how it's done:

http://www.superhighoutput.com/tech_view.php?id=5

Old 02-06-2004, 07:26 PM
87 XLT
Postmaster
Rockledge, that link you provided is exactly what I was looking for. Somehow grounding that single wire did'nt "feel" right. I'll refer the guy at the Aerostar forum over to this thread. Thanks a bunch.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:54 PM
chucknc
Junior User
Howdy Y'all,
Coming over from Aerostar forum via invite from 87XLT, I'm happy to be among other Blue Ovalies. Thanks, Rockledge, for very informative link. I'll post my results in hopes it will help others.
Thanks,
Chuck

Old 02-07-2004, 06:46 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Glad to try and help out ...let us know how it goes.

Old 02-07-2004, 04:17 PM
chucknc
Junior User
OK, I grounded self test connector and the relay clicks but the fuel pump doesn't run. The pump is just over a year old so I don't think that is the problem. Ignition switch, module, and coil are all new. Got a code 96, fuel pump circuit open, battery to PCM. Any Ideas? By the way, it's an '89 Aerostar 3.0l.
Thanks for your help,
Chuck

Old 02-07-2004, 04:51 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the inertia switch. If it has been tripped, it will keep the fuel pump from getting power....

Old 02-07-2004, 05:43 PM
chucknc
Junior User
Thanks Bob,
The inertia switch hasn't been tripped but it may still be my problem. I'm going to pull it and check it with an ohmeter. I want to jump it and apply power to the fuel pump but I'm not sure of the best way to do that. Any ideas?

Old 02-07-2004, 05:57 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
Originally posted by chucknc
Thanks Bob,
The inertia switch hasn't been tripped but it may still be my problem. I'm going to pull it and check it with an ohmeter. I want to jump it and apply power to the fuel pump but I'm not sure of the best way to do that. Any ideas?
All you should have to do is measure for 12V going to the inertia switch, and the 12V coming out of it, that goes to the fuel pump.
You can do this while activating the fuel pump with the jumper
Rocklege told you about...

Good luck neighbor!!!!

Old 02-07-2004, 07:32 PM
chucknc
Junior User
Right!If I have 12 volts across inertia switch wires that pretty much leads me to the fuel pump or perhaps faulty wires between. If I don't have voltage, then it's wires between fuel pump relay and inertia switch. When I do the jumper on self test connector, the FPR clicks but no hum from fuel pump. I'm guessing the FPR is fine due to the clicking. So, I hope I'm whittling it down. Do you think I'm on the right track? Thanks for your help.
Chuck in High Point

Old 02-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Bob Ayers
Postmaster
WOAH!!!

How are you measuring the "12V across the inertia switch"? If you
are probing the wire going to the intertia switch and the wire coming out of the inertia switch (going to the fuel pump) and
measure 12V, the inertia switch is BAD!! To verify this, ground one of your meter leads, and measure the the same wires on the
inertia switch. If you do this, and measure 12V on each wire, the
inertia switch is ok.....I hope this isn't too confusing...

Old 02-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Sounds like your on the right track. Keep in mind that if you don't have power to the inertia switch it could be farther upstream than the wiring between the relay and inertia switch. I think the 87s used a fusable link to provide the power to the relay for the FP, the clicking relay only means its being closed but doesn't mean you have power going through it.

Old 02-07-2004, 08:39 PM
chucknc
Junior User
Hey ya'll,
Bob, I haven't put a voltmeter on the inertia switch yet. Thanks for advice on correct procedure. Ken, thanks for the input. About this fusible link, according to Haynes, it's between the starter and FPR. Any idea where it is physically?

Quick Reply: Fuel pump relay