2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

piece of crap

Old 02-05-2004, 06:41 PM
frustratedfx4owner
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry piece of crap

I recently bought a 2004 FX4 SCREW ....and Beleive me I got screwed ....the truck has 3000 miles on it anf now it is in the shop with no idea how long it will be there...the second week I owned the truck i noticed that something felt like it was slipping .ie transmission or rear diff ...beings i have to use my truck everyday for my only mode of transport ...i made a mental note that i needed to get into the shop to check it out...I commute approx 60 miles round trip each day ...well 3 weeks ago i was leaving work and I noticed the truck was running rough and shifting erratickly ...then I noticed that one of the lights on the instrument panel was on ( it was a yellow wrench) so i didnt know what this meant ...so I called the dealer on my cell and told them what was going on ..they had no clue ..didnt even know what the light meant,,,but told me to get the truck down there asap..so i did.I took the truck in the next morning and they worked on it for a couple of hours and said they had it fixed but it could happen again..well it did happen again.about a week later..they are telling me know that the computer is shot and there is a 2 week delivery for a new computer...I am just wandering if anyone else is having this problem

Old 02-05-2004, 07:02 PM
jcreality
Senior User
frustrated....

I'm not going to try to overcome your frustration....but if it's 'only' the computer, which can be replaced......you'll be very happy once it's replaced.

Just to clarify that wrench....what "they (probably) didn't know what it meant" was they KNEW it was the indicator that something in your overall truck needed service, but could not tell exactly what it is while you were on the road, until you brought it in for inspection. This is the exact reason that your warranty is a very good thing. Chances are, there are things that can go wrong when there are hundreds+ of moving/working parts in your truck.
Sounds like they have a grasp of this "challenge" and will get you taken care of. I just hope it's a smooth, and finalizing fix when the computer finally arrives.
I HOPE they gave you a loaner in the meantime?
Please keep us posted on the process, and whether or not the replacement solved the issue.

Sorry for the challenge you face.....it's gotta bite, bad.

Old 02-06-2004, 09:24 AM
sprintcarcrazy
Senior User
If they gave you a loaner, then I would hang in there. I would be ****ed too, but things do break some times, it stinks when it happens to you.

Hopefully, they will get it up and running soon and you will have many miles of problem free operation.

If you keep having problems, request a different vehicle and if that doesn't happen, go to the Ford Arbitration Board.

I had to do that on my Expedition, now Ford is the proud owner of it as of tomorrow.

18000 miles, full refund, reimbursed sales tax plus add ons I had made.

Old 02-06-2004, 11:29 AM
Superbru
Senior User
Re: piece of crap

Originally posted by frustratedfx4owner
I recently bought a 2004 FX4 SCREW ....and Beleive me I got screwed ....the truck has 3000 miles on it anf now it is in the shop with no idea how long it will be there...the second week I owned the truck i noticed that something felt like it was slipping .ie transmission or rear diff ...beings i have to use my truck everyday for my only mode of transport ...i made a mental note that i needed to get into the shop to check it out...I commute approx 60 miles round trip each day ...well 3 weeks ago i was leaving work and I noticed the truck was running rough and shifting erratickly ...then I noticed that one of the lights on the instrument panel was on ( it was a yellow wrench) so i didnt know what this meant ...so I called the dealer on my cell and told them what was going on ..they had no clue ..didnt even know what the light meant,,,but told me to get the truck down there asap..so i did.I took the truck in the next morning and they worked on it for a couple of hours and said they had it fixed but it could happen again..well it did happen again.about a week later..they are telling me know that the computer is shot and there is a 2 week delivery for a new computer...I am just wandering if anyone else is having this problem
Hold on, Dude!
I have 39 years in electronics, and if there is one thing I've learned, it's that most of the time if electronics are going to fail , they will do so in the first 90 days.
I know it's frustrating to buy a brand new truck, and have problems right away, but the dealer will take care of the problem. One thing is, if the problem is the computer, it's an easy and permanent fix.

So, hang in there and good luck!

Old 02-06-2004, 02:54 PM
nippers
New User
My computer was faulty in my 2004 Screw when I picked it up. It took them awhile to determine that was it but once it was replaced things have been ok since.

Old 02-09-2004, 02:29 PM
plsirois
New User
I actually came to this web-site looking for someone who had this same problem. My 04 F-150 XLT went into "limp-home" mode last week at 3000 miles. (The yellow wrench) The dealership replaced a camshaft positioning sensor and the problem reoccured 12 hours later. After a dead end visit to the dealership again, they left what they called a flight simulator in the truck that I was supposed to activate when the problem occurred again, because they couldn't after 100 miles of road test...figures. Well, the same day the wrench came back on and I was driving on 4 cylinders again. The dealership just called and said they have no idea what is going on and they are on the phone with Ford engineers as I write this. I'll let you know what they find out.

- Paul

Old 02-09-2004, 05:32 PM
candc
New User
Angry I feel your pain.......

I, also just joined this board in hopes of finding others who may be having this problem. I have been dealing with the "wrench" light for three weeks. It also will eventually turn on your service engine soon light. I have been to my dealer twice. 1st time they said reflash PCM. I took the truck home and it happened again. Now they say Ford enginneers are working on it and that they don't know what to do. The frustrating part about this is the indefinite time period that could take them to fix it. I am just as mad as you guys. I bought a new truck to have reliable transportation and I don't have it.

Old 02-09-2004, 07:12 PM
frustratedfx4owner
Freshman User
My truck is still in the shop ...the dealership told me that the computer has to be replaced,and they are waitng on the part from Ford ....delivery 2-16-04 I hope ...This just really ****es me off

Old 02-10-2004, 07:00 AM
Coloradorob
New User
Yes, I had the exact same problem at 3700 miles. They did all that computer crap to mine too. It didn't work. After 3 weeks they figured it out. It was the throttle body. They changed it two weeks ago and no problems since. During the whole mess I was shown an internal product support memo from Ford to the service dept. ststing they knew of this issue but did not have a fix at that time.

Old 02-10-2004, 09:29 AM
TWellmann
Senior User
So far I've only experienced 'minor' electrical problems. My auto headlamp sensor was bad and now my outside temp sensor is bad (I know it's not 50 degrees outside!).

I've also experienced some problems with my reverse sensors. Sometimes when I'm backing up they either don't work or are always on with a constant beep. At first time it happened I just figured it was because they were frosty or iced up from being washed but it's happened 3 times so far.

I think I may have a front end alignment problem as well. I've got 3000 miles on my truck and the outsides of the front tires are showing some wear...That shouldn't be happening.

Needless to say I've got an apt. with my dealer tomorrow to have these things looked at again.

Old 02-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Steelheader14
Senior User
I don't think it is a piece of crap...that is what the warranty is for. The dealer should give you a loaner from their rental dept., and they should have ordered that computer after your first visit. You might want to look at a another dealer next time for repairs.

Old 02-10-2004, 04:40 PM
frustratedfx4owner
Freshman User
well the dealer called today and said the truck will be ready tomorrow afternoon .....i will post details of what they repaired or tried too ....thanks for all the input

Old 02-12-2004, 07:15 AM
plsirois
New User
The throttle body seems to be the answer to the problem, according to Ford, they are replacing mine today, after 9 days out of service in the first six weeks. Let's see if the fix sticks!

- Paul

Old 02-12-2004, 08:20 AM
frustratedfx4owner
Freshman User
i picked my truck up this morning and seems to be OK ....they replaced the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) and the Clutch pack in the rear-end ...I will keep everyone updated if it holds up

Tyson

Old 02-12-2004, 02:36 PM
jcreality
Senior User
Thanx for the updates Tyson! Hope it is trouble-free for you from here on out!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: piece of crap