Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

The new Dodge Commercial

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Shinoda
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem with the Explorer was not really the transmission, though there were a few problematic ones and the problem was simply a weak seal and a bad sensor, which was never expensive to fix. The real problem with Explorers was the transfer case, they would often die after 200,000Km was accumulated on them, like mine did. This obviously only affected 4x4 Explorers and was later rectified in later models.

Old 02-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Ev2Demon
Senior User
Originally posted by Shinoda
Honda uses it in many of their motorcycles, so does Suzuki.

Here's a nice history of the HEMI:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/hemi/ardun.html

And I love your confidence you "know I can't do it" I love a challenge, I also love a biased jack-a$$ who thinks he knows everything and hates to be proven wrong about something he really knows nothing about. You know nothing about the HEMI and you clarify your argument directionally in order to try and justify your initial statement while narrowing your focus in a direction that your initial statement never made.
Biased? Right. Why am I at this sight? I own a Ford. Yep that's right, biased old me owns a Ford, and guess what, I really like it. it's a great truck. I could care less who makes a product. I buy what best siuts my needs. I'd say you are the biased one. Seems that Ford can do no wrong in you're eyes.

As for knowing nothing about the Hemi, you really don't know who you are talking to. I've rebuilt more Hemi's than you've seen in person. I have a 426 sitting in my garage ready to go into my 68 Dart SS clone. I know exactly what a Hemi is. Honda's pent roof and 4 valve motors are no more Hemi's than the new 5.7 is.

And how are the Explorer transmissions irrelevant? You act like Dodges are junk because your dad had a trans problem in his truck. Ford had just as many troubles with Explorer transmissions as Dodge did with their trucks. The fact of the matter is that all manufacturers have troubles at one point or another. Seems totally relevant to the situation to me. I'm sure you can't see that though.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:10 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can see fine thank you. I know all car makers have problems every now and then, but you blow some of them out of proportion. The Dodge trans stuff was a big thing. The 6.0 hasn't reached that status yet, and probably never will since the bugs are in the process of getting fixed now. Also, if you look at a chassis diagram of an older Dodge, you will see that there aint much there! There is only 3 crossmembers on the whole frame, one at the front and 2 at the back and none in the middle. The lift diagram book that we use at the auto shop shows that. I don't base my opinion solely upon the transmission, but the overall package.

Dodge thoughts: The Cummins is good, but I do not prefer it. The chassis set up, mainly on older ones is very scary, especially if you got in a wreck, you'd total the truck cause the frame would get bent.

The transmission problems, of course. If I ever considered a Dodge, it would have to be stick shift.

The new Dodges are just too small for me. I got in a crew cab one and I had it adjusted all the way back and down and still my head hit the roof.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:16 PM
Ev2Demon
Senior User
I agree that on the whole in the past, Fords triucks were much better than Dodges, especially the Heavy Duty ones. That's why I bought a Super Duty, and truth be told, I'd still choose a SD over a Ram 2500-3500 if I were buying a HD truck today.

However, I think Dodge makes a much better truck since the redesign in 2002. I still don't like some things about the HD's obviously, the the 1500's are great trucks. When we were shopping for my wifes truck, we looked at all the fullsize 1/2 4x4's. We settled on the Dodge because it had excellent fit and finish, lots more power, and an attractive price tag.

I drove a 3 valve 5.4 F-150, and while I really liked the interior (nicer with more room) and styling, I was mildly disappointed by the power after all the hype leading up to the new motor. It was a nice truck, but it also listed around $1200 more than a comprably equipped Dodge. We choise the 1500 Quad Cab Hemi 4x4 and have been very happy with it.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:18 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
I still don't understand why Ford stopped at 300hp with the 5.4L. It's like they just dropped the ball with the power.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:24 PM
rockfiv0
Junior User
Re: The new Dodge Commercial

Originally posted by Shinoda
Wow, I just saw the new Dodge RAM commecial, apparently it claims three things that make it better than the new Ford F-150:

1. It has the "HEMI" yippeee
2. It has an infinity Stereo
3. It has 20" Rims

So apparently their truck is better because it has a 20" rims, which seem really practical on a truck, I'm sure a 2-foot Wing and perhaps some racing stripes and some DODGE stickers all over it would make it better too??? I'm sure 20" rims with lo-pro's fair really well offroad, hehe

And of course we all buy a new truck for the Stereo, irregardless of its bland, cheap interior, its apparently "better" because it has a brand-name stereo in it.

And of course the HEMI, the topic of so much controversy, which according to Dodge is better than any other motor in the world, or so it would seem. Of course the fact that Dodge is NOT legendary for its transmission quality never factors in there at all, its all about the HEMI. And even though they have yet to get any sort of award or recognition for this "be all and end all of motors" its better because its the HEMI.

Wow, what a commercial.

Ya know. Your jealousy is just pouring out of your statement. Maybe you should go out and buy one.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Shinoda
Senior User
DOHC Motors are pent-roof and it is often quoted as being a superior design to the HEMI. I could care less if you've worked on a Dodge HEMI, I've worked on a SAAB HEMI which is electronically controlled, being a modern motor of course, does that make me "more experienced" than you? I don't think so but it does give me a more diverse view on things. I am not biased, but you led me to believe you were because you were so dilligently defending the HEMI yet lending no real facts to back your claim. The fact that Dodge has begun using Dual-Ignition on the new HEMI to help with emissions is nice, but Mazda has been using Dual-Ignition for years and I've worked on a Van Blerk tank engine from the 20's with Dual Ignition, so its not a modern design either. The combination of the HEMI and dual Ignition is nice, but Mazda did that too a number of years ago. Dodge isn't relying on any sort of "pioneering" here, what they are doing is marketing a product's nastalgia, not the product itself. You also never really focussed your reply and instead seemed to answer everybody in one post, were you directing your Explorer point at me? As I never said your point about Explorer tranny's was irrelevant, instead I pointed to the transfer case as their true weakness.

I also never ONCE mentioned that Ford was superior in ANY way shape or form, so again, you are misquoting me, all I've argued all along was that the HEMI was overhyped and again, you distorted what I wrote and completely misrepresented my argument and points made. I also love your blind Honda argument, you make no product references at all. How many twin-valve SOHC Honda motorcyles have you had apart? They are not pent roof, the 4-valve heads are. My 81 Suzuki GSX400 had a hemispherical head in it, as do many modern motorcycles. There are numerous hemispherical headed motors on the market but in many cases yes, the pent-roof design with quad-valve heads has proven to be a superior and thus the preferred design over the hemispherical head.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Shinoda
Senior User
I'll get right on that.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:41 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
TIME OUT!!!!!!!!

The irrelevant stuff was pointed at me, but I cleared my statements up.

However, I resolved my differences with Mr. Demon.

The Hemi is in more than just Chrysler vehicles, leave it at that.
It's just a name they picked up on from their old designs used for a marketing ploy.

It's not all about horsepower, its who has the best package deal out the door.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:43 PM
Ev2Demon
Senior User
Sorry if I came across as harsh or one sided. It wasn't my intent

I don't believe I ever diligently defended the Hemi? I simply said Ford staged the comercial knowing full well the Dodge would out run it in real life. If stating factual information is the same as diligently defending something, so be it. I then went on to ask for examples of true Hemi's currently in production. Honestly, I'm still not convinced there are any.I never once said anything about a Hemispherical design being superior, or Dodges motor(s) being the best on the planet either.

Do you have any pics of the SAAB Hemi's chambers or any other current Hemi by any other manufacturer? I'd really like to see them for comparisons sake.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:46 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
I believe I have seen a Honda head one time that was hemispherical, therefore, I concur with Shinoda on his statement regarding the hemi design.

Whether its still in production, I cannot say, because I do not know.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Shinoda
Senior User
I will try to find some, OK? The SAAB was a few years ago, '98 to be exact, but I consider it modern still. My first statement in regards to your statement was that I had not seen the commercial that you are referencing, and things seem to have picked up considerably from there.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:49 PM
Ev2Demon
Senior User
LOL!. I guess that's what happens when a bunch of different people try to convey thoughts through a computer without having the opportunity to talk face to face. It's all good.

Old 02-04-2004, 10:50 PM
Shinoda
Senior User
OK Sorry about getting a bit out of line, looking for that example for ya

Old 02-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Shinoda
Senior User
http://www.competitiveautoparts.com/...IS7-4Thumb.jpg

Can't tell if that is or not, what do you think? Bad pic. Its out of an Isuzu.

Quick Reply: The new Dodge Commercial