Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to add cruise control to non cruise vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 04:09 AM
F3LS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to add cruise control to non cruise vehicle

I have a 94 Full Bronco XL. I want to add the factory cruise to my truck. What is needed to do this swap and has anyone here done it? I would really like some help to help me make my decision...Any thoughts would be appereciated..

Randy

Old 02-03-2004, 05:24 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

If I were you I'd find a COMPLETE donor truck or Bronco and get everything you need from that.

Old 02-03-2004, 08:01 AM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Want to add cruise control to non cruise vehicle

You need the vaccum or electric cruise servo driver (I don't recall which the 94 has, I believe the latter), the snip of wiring harness from that unit to the firewall, the ECM from a cruise-enabled Bronco, the "fancy" horn pad with the controls, the steering wheel ring behind it, the spring contacts for the steering wheel ring, and the wiring that extends down the column.

Obviously, all from the same donor vehicle.

Old 02-03-2004, 01:17 PM
Frizlefrak
Senior User
Does it have to be FACTORY cruise? The aftermarket kits from JC Whitney work very well. I installed aftermarket cruise on my 96 F150 for less than $75, and it has worked well for 8 years now. Took me about 4 hours to install it carefully.

Old 02-03-2004, 07:59 PM
F3LS
New User
Originally posted by Frizlefrak
Does it have to be FACTORY cruise? The aftermarket kits from JC Whitney work very well. I installed aftermarket cruise on my 96 F150 for less than $75, and it has worked well for 8 years now. Took me about 4 hours to install it carefully.
Which kit did you use? Seems like this would be the way to go price wise......

Randy

Old 02-03-2004, 11:58 PM
Frizlefrak
Senior User
The kit was made by a company called Equus, it is Equus model 9000-B. I'm not sure if they are still a supplier to JC Whitney or not, but I do see a model from Audiovox in their 2003 catalogue for $109.95. It says that your Bronco will require a DSS kit which is an additional $9.95, but I believe you could just use the driveshaft magnet pickup instead. This is what I used on my 96 F150.

My kit has worked well for 8 years now. I got a great deal on my truck, but it was an XL and didn't have cruise, which I really wanted. The JC Whitney kit was the way to go.

The installation is pretty straight forward, figure on 4 hours if you take your time and do it carefully.

Good luck

Old 02-04-2004, 01:38 AM
SoCalDesertRider
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was looking at the cruise kits today in the new JCW catalog I got in the mail today. It was confusing because there are so many different kits available.

Old 02-05-2004, 01:09 PM
F3LS
New User
Still hoping someone can suggest a Brand/Model.....I can't seem to find anything of Equus though...SOMEBODY has to have a suggestion! What about you SoCalDesertRider?

Randy

Old 02-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Frizlefrak
Senior User
I don't think Equus supplies them anymore. I would go with the Audiovox model in the 2003 JCW Catalogue. It's the most universal fit that I see, and if you mount it correctly, it will look factory installed. The problem I see with the others is that they all mount on the turn signal stalk, and I think the stalk on your Bronco is too thick to effectively mount those.

The Audiovox piece is flat and could be dash mounted, which is what my Equus does. This is the one I would order if I was doing it again. For $109, I don't think you can go wrong. And Audiovox is an established name with a good reputation.

Whichever aftermarket unit you choose, it's going to be a whole lot simpler and cheaper than trying to add factory cruise. The thought of having to tear the whole column down was enough to scare me away. Plus changing ECM's etc.....too much hassle. Buy the Audiovox unit, and four hours later you will have a nice, neat cruise control unit.

[edit] My wife has the truck today, but when I get a chance I can snap some pics of my setup and post them if you want

Old 02-05-2004, 07:31 PM
SoCalDesertRider
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey that would be great, Frizlefrak. Thanks for the direction. Sometimes when you have too much choice, it can be bewildering... LOL.

Old 02-05-2004, 11:10 PM
Frizlefrak
Senior User
OK, some pics. First is where I mounted the switch on the dash. The audiovox kit in JCW catalogue could be mounted in the same place.

Next, here is where I mounted the servo, on the driver's side fender apron. The throttle cable (not visible) goes to the throttle body, the vacuum line visible on the right goes to a "T" mounted between the brake booster and the intake, and the wiring cluster goes to the cruise "brain" that I mounted under the dash.

Unfortunately, I can't get a good pic of the brain because I hid it in the dash. The last pic is of the magnetic pickup on the driveshaft that senses vehicle speed. I used two hose clamps, because it threw the magnet that originally came with the kit, and I bought a replacement magnet (pack of 6) at Radio Shack for about $2.

Anyhow, the install is pretty straighforward. Mount the switch on the dash, the brain under the dash, and the servo somewhere sturdy under the hood. Use the brake booster line as a source of vacuum. Run the throttle cable to the throttle body. Mount the pickup next to the driveshaft and the magnet on the shaft. Run the wiring from the servo, the pickup, and the switch to the brain. Connect the brake pedal disconnect wires to the brake light switch wiring. Set the adjustment on the cruise brain to where it engages > 35 mph, and you're done. About 4 hours total if you take your time and make it neat.

The first long trip you take you will thank yourself a hundred times over.

Any other ???, just let me know, or if you run into a snag during the install.

Old 02-05-2004, 11:16 PM
tripndrag
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Grant makes a cruise kit to work with the factory stuff. The kit works with the signature series wheels. I bought one and love it. You would have to buy the parts for the column the wiring, the stuff under the hood, the vac. line and switch for the brake pedal. You could get all the stuff at the junkyard, you could even get a wheel there if you don't like the Grant stuff. The Grant kit comes with buttons that mount on the wheel.

Old 02-06-2004, 08:44 PM
robert56
Freshman User
Watch E-Bay. I found a surplus dealer install kit on there a few years ago for less than $50. It used all factory parts, didn't require attaching anything to the driveshaft or anywhere else cause it reads off the factory speed sensor in the axle. Has a stalk that mounts to the steering column that looks just like the turn signal stalk just smaller. Very nice, factory looking and cheaper than a aftermarket kit.

Rob
'94 F-150

Old 02-09-2004, 04:00 AM
F3LS
New User
Question guys....The Audiovox system says it requres a DSS adapter...I know the VSS is a Vehicle Speed Sensor what is the DSS??? Ive been told to stay away from the kits that work with the brackets,magnets,pickups and driveshafts......Im wondering if the Audiovox kit works off the driveshaft from a magnet/sensor or not....

Randy

Old 02-09-2004, 02:14 PM
mavinwy
Senior User
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/brandspl...02-ccs100.html

I just ordered one of these for my '93. It indicates that it is vss compatible as it comes. As mine is 2wd, and only used on road, I am not worried if it is magnetic pickup though.

Jim

Quick Reply: Want to add cruise control to non cruise vehicle