Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Goodyear Military OZ tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 09:38 PM
jd250r
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodyear Military OZ tires

Has anyone tried the 37x12.5r16.5 Goodyear Military oz tires? How do they do in mud and snow? I can pick a set up really cheap that are in great shape. How would they compare to Swamper Radials or SSR's? Mileage out of tires?

Old 02-03-2004, 03:59 PM
KPMariner05
Senior User
Last i checked these tires as far as the military use of them is only a 36 not a 37 and yes it is what they use on the hummers. I also used to have a set of these on my F-250 before I went to the 38's and they are AWESOME tires. I am not sure if you are talking about a diff tire in the 37, but if they have the same tread pattern you will not be dissappointed. Send me a PM or siomething and I will send you a picture of what my tires looked like. They are a bias ply tire but they are great on the road, they are not too too noisy, and they are hell offroad. i've had them wheelin in sand, mud, snow, rocks, and rivers - they are awesome everywere. I wish i still had a set I would be somehow making them fit on my Bronco......

Good Luck

Old 02-03-2004, 05:31 PM
jd250r
New User
The latest ones are 37x12.5 Radial Goodyears. What kind of 38's did you go to? I also have thought about 37x12.5 SSR's and 38x14.5 or 15.5 TSL radials. I want something good in mud and snow but somewhat road worthy as I drive it 100 miles a day to school every once and awhile(3-4 a month). I can get 5 of the Goodyears for the same price as 2 Swampers. Here a what they look like http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2....s=GOOD&cat=TIR

Old 02-03-2004, 06:35 PM
KPMariner05
Senior User
The ones in that link are not military tires - i dont care what they tell you in the ad...those are not the kind of tires that we run on our hummers at all. Ours are significantly diferent so I cant tell you how those would react to anything. The tires i had are 36" tires that came directly off a military hummer and were put on my 79 F-250 with no lift. Once I lifted it 4" I went to 38's and I am running a set of 38 inch fun country's right now....nothing compared to the 36's I had....I would like to go back to them if I could. They are awesome. Check my gallery here shortly I am going to try and post a pic of the tires I had for you.

Old 02-03-2004, 06:51 PM
KPMariner05
Senior User
Gallery is up - those are the 36" Moiltray OZ tires i was telling you about.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:59 PM
Domenico
Senior User
jd250r, I had the the military tires you asking about, yes the are 37x12.5/16.5 and they are radial tires.
The word military is cast into the side wall, the only visual difference from the link picture is that the military issue tires are directional (the 2 out tread patterns face the same way the center tread is facing.
If I remember correctly the are rated @ 3700lbs per tire at 80 psi (or somthing close to that).
They wrere just awsome tires on road and off road, (now I'm not a fan of wide tires but I got a super deal on them and I never did regret buying them.
As for the use on the hum v I have seen both types used hopes this helps......
Regards, Domenico....

Old 02-04-2004, 01:33 AM
KPMariner05
Senior User
Domenico -
You have seen the tires that are pictured in that link on MILITARY hummers??? I spent 5 years in the service and not once did I see that style of tire in a 37" on any HumVee I came across. The tires that are on my truck (see gallery-Black 79 F-250 Supercab) are take offs from one of the hummers that got new shoes. They are also 36's. They were mean tires that were good all around for anything and everything they came across.....
If you can get you hands on a set of them I would say go for it, but the 37's in that link dont look like much of a tire in my opinion.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:35 PM
jd250r
New User
Domenico- The ones I can buy say military oz on the side. How do you think they would do in mud? I trying to picture what they would look like on my truck. Im thinking only 12.5" might be a little narrow for that tall of tire.

KPMariner05- Do you have any striaght on close up pictures of your truck with the 36's? Do they look too narrow for the truck?

Old 02-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Domenico
Senior User
I have seen them on hum vees up here western canada and I'm sure they were on the hum vees used in desert storm, (it was a while back thow)
Just check the max weight rating on the tires (should be around the 3700lbs range per tire single load) yes mine were also stamped military oz.
Now I have heard they make a cheaper version of that tire all thow I have never seen one in that size. I wish I was better at this pc stuff, I had 16"x20" poster made of my old truck that hangs in my boy's bed room, 1988 f-350 7" suspension lift and a 2" body lift, color matched factory 16.5x10 steel wheels with ford dog dish hub caps and the oz tires, looks real sweet but I don't know how to get on the screen.
I didn't think they were to narrow, and they worked very well in the mud, the best thing about those tires was I could load my 8.5' camper on and it would corner just awsome (over all hight with camper was 11').
I am now running the michelin XR 9.00/16x37" on my signature truck (another military issue tire) now these are narrow tires but thats the way I like them, like I said before I got a great deal for the oz tires and had to go for it.
Regards, Domenico....

Old 02-05-2004, 02:37 AM
KPMariner05
Senior User
There is no way that they used that tire that you are talking about in Desert Storm or Iraqui Freedom.....you would be stuck quicker than a suzuki samurai in 15 inch mud. Sorry son, and I dont want to be a jerk but you have no idea what you are talking about. I have not ever seen them on any military vehicles period, but I know there is alot out there I havent seen so I was thinking that they may have been used on street type applications domestically for MP's and the like but there is not a chance in hell that those tires went into combat...they are just not suited for it - period. I have a couple other pictures of my truck on the 36" tires but I cant post any more than what I have in the gallery so you will have to contact me through my profile by e-mail or whatever.....they are awesome tires, plenty wide enough and very stable. If you can get your hands on a set like mine I would highly suggest it - they are well worth it.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:04 PM
peppy
Postmaster
2 ply radial polyester cord doesnt sound like much to me. No steel? Wheres the puncture resistance and stability?
Awful big tire for no cords to speak of.
I have to agree with KP, those dont ring a bell as being GI tires.
Close maybe, but not quite.

Old 02-05-2004, 10:26 PM
Hillbillydeluxe
Junior User
There is no way that they used that tire that you are talking about in Desert Storm or Iraqui Freedom.....you would be stuck quicker than a suzuki samurai in 15 inch mud.

I hate to burst your bubble but these tires were in fact the original equipment tires for the Hummer when it first came out. These tires were replaced later by another type tread. As far as getting stuck with them, not likely. They were a very good tire. I think the only way you can get the M/T now is if it is the OZ tire. The standard civilian M/T was dis-continued. Of course anytime that Goodyear comes out with something good they discontinue it.....lol.

Old 02-06-2004, 12:25 AM
Domenico
Senior User
Sorry guys, I give up, I suck when it comes to this pc stuff. I spent the last hour trying to post some pics of humvees in military use with oz tires, I just can't get the pictures on the screen, (fustration level is peaked got to stop trying).
Just look up humvee on the internet and dig you will see lots of pictures military/civilian humvees with these tires.
As for the 2 ply radial polyester I agree not much protection, I don't recall the exact spec's the only figure that stands out is the load rating and at 3700lbs plus, the tires I had wern't no 2 ply polyester with that weight rating.
So I'm not going to persue the issue any further.
KPMariner05 whats wrong with samurai's I happen to own two of them! (no offence taken I use them as disposible 4x4s, they are great off road thow)
Regards, Domenico....

Old 02-06-2004, 02:35 AM
KPMariner05
Senior User
On the samurai issue - like I said stuck quicker than one in 15" mud.....they are great small manueverable vehicles but not likely to make it through a mud bog......they just dont have the clearance for bigger tires and they dont have the horsepower to do it.

On the military tires....like I said I can believe that these tires may have been used domestically on MP type road use units but i can tell you straight up that this tire was not used on any military issue anything as far as I have ever seen and CERTAINLY NOT in a deployed humvee - PERIOD. It is not possible, it is not true, and it NEVER happened. There is no disputing that point with me.

Other than that - do what you want as far as tires are concerned but consider the other posts - those tires are weak, they are not capable of taking much sidewall abuse and to me they sound like they are going to be an all around crappy tire.....especially off road. Maybe this is why they are so cheap and certainly why the military does not use these tires.

Old 02-06-2004, 07:59 AM
FireMarshal3311
Senior User
There are quite a few HMMWV's here at Fort Knox with that style of tread pattern, now, they may just be the ones used for the Military Police, or the HMMWV's used on the highway, but they are on there.

The 36" that Mariner has is an awesome tire. I have them on my Jeep CJ-7 and have never had any problem with them. They throw mud like crazy. I will try to get my gallery set up with some pics of them. Don't go with the 37" go with either the 36 or a swamper.

There is a reason they are CHEAP, just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Goodyear Military OZ tires