2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing Features - Why I did not buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 12:53 PM
dobbsj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing Features - Why I did not buy

I thought I would buy a 2004 F-150 4x4 Lariet yesterday but did not:

Reasons:
(1) No side airbags - Surely Ford knows how many people will be injured or worse by this.

(2) Where is the tire pressure monitor on the 4x4?

(3) Poor electronics - the Japenese are way ahead on this. Detroit managers just don't get it. For example, what about a good navigation system or build a Ford so it can be added.

(4) No passanger power seats.

I would like to buy American. Why does Titian offer most of these options and Ford does not?

Engineer in Texas

Old 02-01-2004, 01:22 PM
jcreality
Senior User
dobbsj.....
Just so you know
The passenger seat power IS available, and comes standard with the heated seat package. The package ALSO includes memory seating/power pedal memory for 2.
Poor electronics? I don't need a NAV in my truck, so please don't base the validity of a solid truck on such an argument. Dude, there's PLENTY of space on the dash to add an aftermarket setup~~I'm SURE the "Japenese" have invented something to suit your fancy. No offense intended, but I don't understand your riff.
Side airbags may be nice for some, but NO THANKS for me. It's THE safest half-ton truck on the road today without them, and I'd rather either save my money, or spend it on a different so-called-sub-standard electronic gadget in my truck. Again, no offense intended, but in a truck this solid and high off the ground, I really *PERSONALLY* feel that side air bags would just be hype, but maybe that's just cuz I feel invincible still and took some tough hits in football.
As to the tire pressure.....well (again *personally*) I feel about the same for that as I do about the side marshmellows. Have it as an option, maybe, but for most of us, we aren't doing SERIOUS hauling, NOR racing a ricer *eyeroll*, so I'd rather not be requested to pay for the gizmo.

Honestly dobbsj, I sincerely think you should go back to the dealer and buy a lariat with the seating package you want, buy an aftermarket NAV/GPS, and do the tire-kick each time you get in your truck if you're honestly this concerned~~I think you'd change your mind on these "challenges" within days of your purchase.

But, if I recall properly......the, uhhhmmm........ermmmm Titan (? ) (I think is what it just *might* be called)......might just have THOSE things you hint at?
Oh, and it is REALLY fast too. Has the look of decency on many points. So I guess there's always that option.
Happy decision making....I hope you find what you 'need'.

Old 02-01-2004, 01:41 PM
BlkButy
Elder User
Why don't you just find a truck that will drive for you and put gas in it's self? Peeps always dog the new F150.....

Hmmmm why did it buy mine? Because it is the best truck made.

Not flaming just defending!

Old 02-01-2004, 01:55 PM
jessfactor
Elder User
i was gonna buy the new f150, but even know its extremely powerful, it just doesn't have the luxury of my bently. c'mon people its a truck. who really needs passanger power seats. i look at that as one more thing to break. i find manual seats really arent much of a strain. you pull a lever and move the seat. not very difficult. if the lariat doesn't have the luxury you want get a mercedes or something. my mom got in my truck and asked me where the cup holder was haha. i love the base models.

Old 02-01-2004, 02:08 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to admit, as a Ford salesperson, I'm a little baffled as to the lack of side airbags. I am encouraged by the IIHS off-set crash test, which said the new F-150 is the best pickup they've ever tested. No one at Ford will talk about it, but I imagine part of their thinking is that many vehicles sit LOWER than the F-150, so that side airbags may be of limited value. If you get broad-sided by something REALLY big, no side airbag is going to help. As to the rest of the stuff: you can get a Lariat with a power passenger seat, and I personally have never seen the need for tire-pressure monitoring or a navigation system. I'm one of those old farts that actually KNOWS how to read a map........

Old 02-01-2004, 02:16 PM
dobbsj
New User
Thanks for the info. I agree except on side air bags. I will reconsider.

I had rather buy American.

Old 02-01-2004, 02:17 PM
jcreality
Senior User
Jeff???????

As a man, you read a map?!

Jeez dude, you New Yorkers ARE messed up! We don't even ask for directions over HERE!
Your latter thoughts on the side puffy things, is what I feel too~but the first concerns you mentioned, I think you are even starting to convince yourself. Like, uhm.......WHY do you need 'em in a truck this size? I'm going to extremes, but purdy soon, Truckers are gonna start demanding these things!
What an old fart!
hehehe
Personally, I wish power seats were ONLY an option, on ANY trim. If no one else drives my truck, WHY the heck do I need a $300+ item to move my freakin' seat? Not flaming, but that's just ME, jeez. I just don't understand why it's so 'popular'. I find it's MORE of a hassle to WAIT for the SLOW seat to move. I don't know, maybe the seat is rather heavy for old-fartin' Yanks!

LOL, just kidding bro, you know I love ya!

Last edited by jcreality; 02-01-2004 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:21 PM
jcreality
Senior User
hey Dobbsj......read the thread in the "new truck buying" area titled "now may be the time to buy", and you'll see ways you may be able to save a few thousand on your Lariat if you're in the right area.
And hey, thanx for not being offended by my bluntness.
I'd love to love you, but I love the new F150 more. ha ha
Give it a chance, and I think you'll see why.

Old 02-01-2004, 02:23 PM
grayflare
Junior User
If thats all you want, I think the Hummer H2 has your name on it. Oh, and if you want a Titan, you might want to check out a Titan forum. Seems their "superior electronics" have left more than a few owners on the side of the road waiting for a Tow truck with the cab of the truck full of smoke and no power. Seriously, if thats the only complaints you can find, it makes me feel very good about my truck. I can only ask that you consider your options on trucks carefully and make the best decision on the information you can obtain. Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 02-01-2004, 03:49 PM
jcreality
Senior User
Grayflare.....
not to mention WHAT BRAND of truck the Tow truck will be, eh?

Old 02-01-2004, 04:17 PM
dobbsj
New User
ENOUGH ALREADY; ha ha
I get the message
I touched a sensitive nerve

But really Ford (and GM) should have a better navigation system. I have used many times. I think this is a great option. Not like GM Delphi though.

And I stand by side air bags.

Old 02-01-2004, 04:22 PM
BlkButy
Elder User
We messing with ya LOL! The way I look at it is: 1) Ford F150/F250 2) Chevy 2500 3) Dodge thats my likings though!

Old 02-01-2004, 05:00 PM
jcreality
Senior User
dobbsj,

LMAO!!!

ALL my nerves are sensitive!!! I'm not an old fart like *SOME* people, so mine each work just right. LOL

Hope you enjoy your new FORD!

Old 02-01-2004, 05:37 PM
grayflare
Junior User
jcreality,yeah youre right it would probably be a Ford. Ive heard that they are really dependable

Old 02-01-2004, 07:19 PM
jcreality
Senior User
yeah, they make good tow trucks, but I hear they are pretty slow, so they maybe wouldn't make a good pace car.

Quick Reply: Missing Features - Why I did not buy