Oil & Lubrication  

ROyal purple synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 03:55 AM
Capone
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ROyal purple synthetic

I would really consider trying royal purple synthetic on your next oil change....

I am not a seller but a happy consumer.....you can feel the difference...

Old 01-30-2004, 07:25 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
I'm sure it's good oil, but the flash point on the 10w40 does not look very good. Also, it bugs me that they tint it purple. I get the impression that Redline is even better than Royal Purple.

Old 01-30-2004, 10:12 AM
oppy
Laughing Gas
IMHO, synthetics in general are not cost effective. But I would be even more suspect of a company that markets a product based upon its (artificial) color.

If you're going to use syn, stick with Mobil 1.

Old 01-30-2004, 07:54 PM
therion
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil is more cost effective than Mobil 1. Even though you pay more money up front (1 DOLLAR more), you can extend drains by twice over Mobil1. Amsoil S2k uses a more robust additive package from lubcricon and allows for a more robust ZPPN and anti-wear package.

Old 01-30-2004, 08:12 PM
JustinH
Senior User
I use mobil1 in all my vechicles, and go with a 4000 mile drain interval.

Motorcraft filters also

Old 01-30-2004, 08:19 PM
therion
Senior User
Originally posted by JustinH
I use mobil1 in all my vechicles, and go with a 4000 mile drain interval.

Motorcraft filters also
No offense, but thats pretty bad. I can go 4k on most dino oils.

You pay $5 a quart for Mobil 1 and change every 4k

I pay $6.50 for Amsoil 0W-30 and change every 8k in my turbocharged 1.8L highly stressed engine. I knew that s2k is a thinner oil at cold temps (0W) and is thicker at operating temps than Mobil 1. That is why i chose this oil.

I have yet to put it into my truck, waiting to dump the mobil to put Amsoil. I expect to get at least 15,000 mile drains. The key is a robust additive package and Amsoil uses additives from lubricon. Mobil is pretty much shot after 7,500 miles and i have seen this proved on lots of Oil Analysis reports. I too have been a long time user of Mobil1, but for the price it is not worth it IMO. There is better oils for just alittle more money.

Last edited by therion; 01-30-2004 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:27 PM
JustinH
Senior User
I pay 19 dollars for a five quart jug at walmart, and the filters are 3 bucks.

So, roughly a 22 dollar oil change.

Most places around here won't change your car with quaker state for 22 dollars, so its a bargain, and I don't need to do the extended drain interval.

If you have seen a 4.6 filter setup you will see that changing filters without draining the oil is a pain in the butt, and thats why I don't go with an extended drain.

Otherwise I would.

JH

Old 01-30-2004, 08:32 PM
therion
Senior User
Originally posted by JustinH
I pay 19 dollars for a five quart jug at walmart, and the filters are 3 bucks.

So, roughly a 22 dollar oil change.

Most places around here won't change your car with quaker state for 22 dollars, so its a bargain, and I don't need to do the extended drain interval.

If you have seen a 4.6 filter setup you will see that changing filters without draining the oil is a pain in the butt, and thats why I don't go with an extended drain.

Otherwise I would.

JH
Wow that comes out to $3,80! Good deal!. I would stick with that for that kind of price! around here its $5.39 so thats why i go with amsoil. Anyway i didnt know the 4.6 had a lousy filter location.

Old 01-30-2004, 09:17 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

Haven't used Royal Purple in my truck but I use it in most of my equipment at work. I am a Plant Engineer at a meat plant and I have put Royal Purple oil in my air compressor units and my refrigeration units as well as other smaller equipment. I have ran tests and found that the Royal Purple oil has lowered my power use and increased my bearing life. It really is a good oil.

Old 01-30-2004, 09:23 PM
therion
Senior User
Originally posted by fordborn
Haven't used Royal Purple in my truck but I use it in most of my equipment at work. I am a Plant Engineer at a meat plant and I have put Royal Purple oil in my air compressor units and my refrigeration units as well as other smaller equipment. I have ran tests and found that the Royal Purple oil has lowered my power use and increased my bearing life. It really is a good oil.
yes, without a doubt better than most conventional oils. Although on paper Amsoil beats it, but it is about equal to mobil 1. I guess i have never seen an Oil Analysis so i won't say its a bad oil.

Old 01-30-2004, 09:29 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

therion, Don't get me wrong I am not saying it is the best I just wanted prople to know I have used it in industrial settings and with wear and power analysis it has showed to be a good oil and saved money and downtime in my plant.

Old 01-31-2004, 08:53 AM
oppy
Laughing Gas
therion - just a bit of advice, you're starting that all-to-annoying Amsoil mantra that gets guys kicked off of this forum (especially if you're a dealer or preferred customer or moonie or whatever it is they call 'em nowadays).

For everyone else, as far as extended oil drains are concerned, I would do more investigation, because there is quite a bit of information that shows wear metals are consistantly higher in those engines than those of us that drain at manufacturer-spec'd intervals. Just do a search here and check out the oil analysis matrix posted at The Diesel Stop.

Old 01-31-2004, 08:58 AM
therion
Senior User
check out that new post about how wear metals decrease with extended use of oil. Dont flame me, 2ford2 posted it under the title "Used oil is better than new?"

And every oil has its purpose. I am not here to promote amsoil, although they make a good product. For example i will also say that RedLine oils are extremely temperature shear resistant due to a polyolester base stock on the other hand Amsoils PAO makes for a better viscosity spread.

Last edited by therion; 01-31-2004 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:10 AM
oppy
Laughing Gas
I'm not gonna flame you...

Here are the most recent results of the UOA tracking at TDS. Also, check out Flash's posts on this forum. He has access to a huge database of UOAs and has an opinion on extended drains too.

I think we should all look at the available information and make an informed decision.

Old 01-31-2004, 09:20 AM
therion
Senior User
Originally posted by oppy
I'm not gonna flame you...

Here are the most recent results of the UOA tracking at TDS. Also, check out Flash's posts on this forum. He has access to a huge database of UOAs and has an opinion on extended drains too.

I think we should all look at the available information and make an informed decision.
Thats a good read :=), you can see how the bypass really helps keep the soot levels down according to the test.

Quick Reply: ROyal purple synthetic