Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels Click Here

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2004, 07:14 AM
New User

The Hat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question sawdust tires???

Hi All,

A friend mentioned how good the old 'sawdust' tires were. I have never heard of such a thing. Is this a gag? Would someone take a few seconds. How were such tires made and why were they so good? And more to the point, are they still available?

thanx
hj the Hat
Old 01-29-2004, 07:28 AM
Posting Guru

Howdy has a good reputation on FTE.Howdy has a good reputation on FTE.Howdy has a good reputation on FTE.
Welcome to FTE!

Is that anything like walnut shell tires? They used to put walnut shells in the rubber to make a low tech studded tire for snow and ice. This might be what your friend is talking about.

They would throw walnut shells in the tread rubber during manufactoring. It was semi-abrasive and dug in fairly well, but didn't hum as bad as studded tires do - and it didn't tear up the roads.

Last edited by Howdy; 01-29-2004 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:30 AM
Postmaster

FordFadgeole is starting off with a positive reputation.
I get that every time i pull into the mill yard where I work!
Welcome to FTE!
Old 01-29-2004, 09:05 AM
Post Fiend

Big Orn has a very good reputation on FTE.Big Orn has a very good reputation on FTE.Big Orn has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally posted by Howdy
Is that anything like walnut shell tires? They used to put walnut shells in the rubber to make a low tech studded tire for snow and ice. This might be what your friend is talking about.

They would throw walnut shells in the tread rubber during manufactoring. It was semi-abrasive and dug in fairly well, but didn't hum as bad as studded tires do - and it didn't tear up the roads.
I think that's the same process. Sawdust/woodchips incorporated into the tread design.

Never saw one though.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:32 AM
Avid Winter Hater

MisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputationMisterCMK has a superb reputation
I've never heard of sawdust tires
Hope & A Prayer Motorsports
Old 08-11-2010, 03:12 PM
New User

Ron Crockett is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sawdust tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hat View Post
Hi All,

A friend mentioned how good the old 'sawdust' tires were. I have never heard of such a thing. Is this a gag? Would someone take a few seconds. How were such tires made and why were they so good? And more to the point, are they still available?

thanx
hj the Hat
My father nused to put winter tires on our old cars in the 50's and early 60's. The traction on ice was better than the standard nylon winter tread, but not by more than10 or 15%. The biggest problem was they wore out very quickl, especially if you ran on bare pavement. I believe he bought them at Simpson Sears for about $12.00 Canadian. The sawdest was embedded into the last 1/2 inch at the face of the tire.

Ron Crockett
Old 08-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Ford_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputationFord_Six has a superb reputation
I have seen a few sets of those tires here, you can tell them by all the little pits in the treads. FWIW, they weren't originally made that way, but they were actually retreads.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:48 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels

Tags
dust, made, manufactured, radial, sawdust, shell, shells, snow, snowtires, studded, tire, tires, tiresare, tread, walnut