Montana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Sailor_Roy

Spring tune up time

Old 03-25-2004, 09:08 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Spring tune up time

Well its feeling like spring here in Iowa, so i figured we could make a list of things to do for a spring tune up.

First off fuel filter, plugs and wires on older vehicals, change of diff fluid, recharge a/c system if equiped, check fluid freeze level, give her a can of sea foam, check for vacume leaks, check fuel lines and pump pressure if efi system, good underbody wash and about 3 coats of wax for the spring, some rain-x.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:26 AM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't ever changed my diff fluid...scary...

I think I'm gonna use the mobil 1 synthetic 75W-140. 16$ a quart, but if I never have to open that diff again, its worth it.

I gotta change my oil too, gonna use Shell Rotella T 15W-40, hoping I can cure this leak caused by Chevron supreme.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:29 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard seafoam mentioned before... what does it do?

Old 03-26-2004, 07:28 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Its a pretty awesome fuel system/crankcase cleaner. They also make a product called trans tune that will clean out the crud in your tranny.

Old 03-26-2004, 11:19 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 331 Likes on 255 Posts
Seafoam is amazing stuff. My wife drives a 96 Jeep Cherokee that was stumbling and running rough. It was in the shop and they replaced a bunch of stuff, but didn't help the way it was running.

I bought a can of Seafoam at NAPA. Dump'd 1/3 can in the gas tank, 1/3 of the can in the crankcase and then pull the vac hose off the brake booster - run the engine at about 1500 rpms and stick the vac hose in the 1/3 that's left in the can. Slowly at first and then dump the last of it so it just a bout stalls the engine. Shut it off and let it sit about 20 min. Start it back up - outside - and let the crap burn off. It'll smoke like its burning wet hay. The jeep runs better than it has in years!

Old 03-27-2004, 10:59 AM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Sounds like a good product, I'll think I'll try it out.

Old 04-01-2004, 08:39 PM
79redranger
Senior User
Well, it looks like i've got a starter problem to fix. Going to get new battery cables and run some actual exhaust. Then probably do some minor clean up. Sea foam sounds like a good idea too. And probably clean all the crap out of the back and the cab. It's been a few years since this truck's been driven like the last three months, so i might service it again soon.

Old 04-02-2004, 12:34 PM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Is it just me or have you guys created more more problems by fixing problems? I've replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and had the truck at my local mechanic getting the carb tuned and leaky fuel lines replaced. He told me to stop by and take the truck out for drive, and see how I like it. So, I stop by last evening and it's pretty cold and snowy, but the truck starts with one pump and idles nice. Then, it quit, just like I turned the key off. So I try restarting, and it cranks but won't catch, until I let off the key, then it runs a bit and quits again. I guess the ignition switch and ignition module are the next things on the list... probably ought to replace the coil and solenoid while I'm at it too!

I love my old Ford, I love my old Ford.....

Old 04-03-2004, 12:03 AM
79redranger
Senior User
I had something just like that when we got really cold here too. When you let off the key from cranking position, it shut off. I never quite figured out what was the problem. It just went away, probably not gone though.

Old 04-04-2004, 08:33 PM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, seems like the more i fix stuff on my 78 the more i find to fix. I geuss its better that way. Today i took off the front tires to torch off the old tie rods and found my front brake lines (rubber) were cracked. I would rather find that and fix them that not know at all. BTW i got all new front MOOG steering parts for less than i thought, 250 dollars, everything. Front end is nice and tight now. Now just perportioning valve, headers, exhaust, front brakes, front brake lines, tighten the rear u-joints, front axle bearings, and a yeah it's got a hemi (LOL) bumper stick and i will be rolling.

Old 04-05-2004, 02:20 AM
swamp buggy
New User
sounds like my 78 f-350. went to replace a stuck caliper and wound up putting in 2 new calipers, fryed wheel bearings, brakes, spindle, and brake lines. what's next? but that's what makes you love all of it.

Old 04-14-2004, 08:34 PM
MontanaFord
Elder User
i figger that i'll get personalize plates for my 84 that say "OL RLIBL"....that truck is definitely reliable on one note...every time i fix something, something else goes out...recently, i fixed my tail lights and brake lights...wiring probs...once we got that fixed, we found out that my starter had gone out...full charge on battery, good solenoid, good wire hook-ups...everything good....had to push-start truck to get it to run...56 bucks later, and a 2 am sunday night before work, new starter, and VROOM!!! away i go...lol...

Michael

Old 04-20-2004, 11:08 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
forgive me..but..are starters unbolt and bolt on? Pull wires, remove bolts, pop out old and put in new, bolt up and rewire and its good? I just remember my friend Dustin having a TERRIBLE time with his Monte Carlo..took us all day to get the starter..then.it turned out to be solenoid only.

Search this Thread