Oil & Lubrication  

Wal-Mart SuperTech as good as anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 06:19 PM
gtm245
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wal-Mart SuperTech as good as anything else?

I'm thinking about using Wal-Mart's SuperTech "dino" oil because it's such a good price. My logic is that if it has the API SL rating and the GF-3 rating then it has to be as good for my vehicle as just about anything else right? I was thinking of using their dino oil and their SuperTech filter which would only cost a grand total of $6.57 (I think the SuperTech is made by Champion Labs so it should be of very good quality. Also the filter has a 98% SPE and 99% MPE which is among the best)

So anyway I was wondering if anybody else has had good success using the SuperTech oil and filter and how does SuperTech compare to major oil brands? Finally, Which one of these two choices do you think would be better:

1. Valvoline All Climate 10W30 with a Purolator PureOne filter
2. Wal-Mart SuperTech 10W30 with a SuperTech filter

Thanks everyone and sorry for all the questions in one thread

Old 01-28-2004, 07:18 PM
micgang
Junior User
Hi there. I will put in my two sense. I think that you make a valid point about Wal-mart oil being rated as SL and GF-3 and that it would be ok for most applications. Same with the ST oil filter. I guess that each person must evaluate their needs and balance that with cost effectiveness.

I have a friend who is a good mechanic and a "no frills" kind of guy and all he looks for is the cheapest SL and GF-3 rated dino that he can find for his personal cars. This is pretty much always the wally world brew. Seems to work for him.

I on the other hand prefer to spend the extra couple of dollars on the Havoline or Chevron Supreme (still a great deal at 1.28 and 1.14 respectively) oils. They have proven themselves as good oils. Go over to www.bobistheoilguy.com and have a look for yourself.

As far as the filter, I prefer to use WIX. You cannot buy them at Wally world, but for me it is worth the trip to the local automotive shop that carries them. They are 5.99, but you can see the quality from the second tht you put in your hand. (compare one to the super tech sometime and you will see)

So my total oil change costs:

5 Quarts Havoline = $6.40
Wix oil filter = $5.99
Total oil change = $12.39

Small prioce to pay for piece of mind...

Old 01-28-2004, 08:18 PM
gtm245
Senior User
Wix filters are okay I suppose but I really like the Purolator PureOne's. They are rated #1 in efficiency, capacity, and filter surface area. Also they are same price as the Wix filters at $5.99. As far as Havoline I have never used it but I've never heard anything bad about it. I have heard that the "house brand" Advance Auto Parts motor oil is bottled by Havoline and that it is just regular Havoline. That would be a pretty good deal since its under $1.00/qt.

I have also heard that SuperTech is made by Quaker State? Any truth to this? Also does anyone have a VOA or UOA on SuperTech 10W30? I would really like to know how it holds up compared to other good oils and if it has any moly in it.

How would everyone rate these regular "dino" oils: (1-10)
1 - worst oil ever
10 - the best choice

1. Valvoline All Climate
2. Castrol GTX
3. Pennzoil
4. Quaker State
5. Wal-Mart SuperTech
6. Mobil Drive Clean
7. FormulaShell
8. Havoline

Thanks everyone!!

Old 01-28-2004, 09:26 PM
BlueRanger94
Senior User
Supertech is not Quaker State according to the Supertech MDS sheet.

Old 01-29-2004, 06:35 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
So anyway I was wondering if anybody else has had good success using the SuperTech oil and filter and how does SuperTech compare to major oil brands? Finally, Which one of these two choices do you think would be better.
That is just about all that I use in my gassers. I found something else even cheaper than SuperTech for my diesel.

Any oil that is API SL rated is all that you need. Just about all oil filters are made by 4 or 5 companies. Wix, Champion Labs, Purolator, Fram. While the filter media and other construction details will vary, all meet OEM specs. That means 100% filtration of particles 40 microns and larger. Most will filter some percentage of smaller particles too. The OEM's have determined that particles smaller than 40 microns are not a significant source of damage (you may disagree), so they do not require filtration below 40 microns.

Other oils and filters "better"? Probably yes, but SL and OEM spec is all that you need and the vast majority of people will see no benefit by spending more money.

So, if you sleep better at night using brand name oils/filters, by all means, buy them.

I sleep just fine with SuperTech in the pan. I sleep even better when I find something on sale for less than the cost of SuperTech and put it in the pan.

BTW, SuperTech oils are made by Warren Oil.

www.warrenoil.com

Old 01-29-2004, 09:26 AM
02PSD4ME
Posting Guru
For those of you that like the Purolator filters, check out Sears. Most Sears sell ALL filters for $2.99, and have sales at times @ $1.99.

My Purolator filter for my Diesel is ~$10 everywhere else, but at sears it is $2.99.

Old 01-29-2004, 03:45 PM
gtm245
Senior User
I emailed Pennzoil-Quaker State and asked them if they made Wal-Mart SuperTech motor oil and this is what they said:

"Thank you for your interest in our Pennzoil-Quaker State products. We provide a service for Wal Mart by bottling oil for them. This is the Wal Mart brand Super Tech oil. For this service Wal Mart pays us a fee. We blend the oil to the specifications that Wal Mart provides us with and we in turn guarantee that the oil we bottle for Wal Mart will meet these specifications. We use the base stock oils that we have at our blending facilities to accomplish this task. We also use our additives necessary to meet the specifications set for us by Wal Mart.
Sincerely
Alen Hewson"

So I guess that pretty much means that there is Quaker State in the SuperTech bottle. Any comments?

Old 01-29-2004, 03:52 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
I think that Walmart buys from the cheapest place and that can change frequently.

Old 01-29-2004, 06:03 PM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Has anybody ever seen any product specification sheets for Wal-Mart brand oil? I've yet to find one on the web. Warren doesn't list any product spec. sheets on their website either.

BTW, Warren does list their clients on their website, but Wal-Mart is not among them. I would think if Wal-Mart was their client they would mention it, because it would probably be their largest account.

FWIW, I went to Wal-Mart to get a 5 gal. bucket of Tractor Hydraulic Fluid and there was one bucket of Pennzoil THF among all the other buckets of SuperTech. I got the Pennzoil because it was the same price as SuperTech and I know the Pennzoil is a Group II oil. Since then I've been wondering if both brands came from the same plant, or if the Pennzoil distributor accidently left a bucket of THF and Wal-Mart just slapped a price sticker on it.

Old 01-29-2004, 07:51 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Someone on another board bought some SuperTech. The bottle had a mark on it that indicated it was from Warren Oil. This was last year.

Warren blends oil and packages oil. Maybe Warren does not blend SuperTech, only packages it.

I had heard about the SuperTech/QS connection and that was the accepted answer until the post about the Warren connection.

Sorry if I misdirected anyone.

Old 01-29-2004, 09:36 PM
BlueRanger94
Senior User
A list of MSDS sheets that someone posted a while back listed supertech as coming from Warren and the old tech 2000 as coming from Quaker state. That is where I got my answer from. If you go to Warren’s site the MAG 1 packaging is similar to Wal-Mart oil. It looks like the same red bottle that supertech semi syn comes in.
http://www.wd-wpp.com/specsheet/syntheticblend.pdf

This is Wal-mart we are talking about so things can change from one day to another.

Old 01-29-2004, 09:47 PM
gtm245
Senior User
Did everyone miss the message I just posted above or what? A rep. from Pennzoil-Quaker State just said that they are the ones who blend the oil and package it for Wal-Mart. Not Warren as previously thought. If you read the post they said that they have a base stock from their facility and then they add the additives to the oil and whola you got yourself a motor oil. What I wonder though is it the same base stock and additives as say Quaker State Peak Performance?

Old 01-29-2004, 09:53 PM
BlueRanger94
Senior User
I did not ignore your post. I was explaining my previous post and the logic behind it. I don’t doubt that Quaker state is making the oil since you got your answer right from Quaker state.

Old 01-29-2004, 09:58 PM
gtm245
Senior User
But do you think that Quaker State actually forms an entire new oil based on "specifications" supplied by Wal-Mart or do they just stick in an oil that they already have? (like I suggested Quaker State Peak Performance)

Old 01-29-2004, 10:09 PM
BlueRanger94
Senior User
I would suspect that all the oil they produce is the same because it probably would not make economic sense to make small special batches.

Quick Reply: Wal-Mart SuperTech as good as anything else?