Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Ford tough proved once again today

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 09:37 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford tough proved once again today

I was at an estate auction this morning and there was an intersection about 100yds from the house. Well, as I'm getting out of my truck, I hear screeching tires. I look up at the intersection, and what do I see? A ricer (a Nissan I think) hit a Crown Vic. Turns out, he was trying to race up the other side of the hill and the old lady was turning on to the road as he topped the hill. The Japanese kid in the Nissan jumped out and started yelling at the old lady in the CV in Japanese. The old lady looked scared to death, but some of the folks at the auction stepped over to check to make sure she was ok. She was, and all that Nissan had done to the CV was just a dent in the left rear pass. door, but since the damage was over $500, it had to be towed (local law). The Nissan also had to be towed, as the whole front end was crumpled up. Scratch one ricer!

Old 01-26-2004, 01:04 PM
turbo TED
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MW95F250: Years ago in 87or88 i was at a stoplight & next to me was an 88or 87 crownvick with a mid 40's guy driving it & low
& behold one of those dinosouars i do not know what year dodge
lil red trucks comes sliding into what i guess he thaught was home
plate & KABAM, the dodge was spilling its fluids all over the road
trannie fluid,coolant the hood looked like a giant W inverted, the
grill has now probally been a beer can 10 times over. And the crownvic had the plastic piece beneath the trunk & just above the taillights broken & no carnage. I have always been a diehard FORD fan but this is one of the thing's that helped cement my
affinity with the whole ford lineup.
turbo ted

Old 01-26-2004, 01:15 PM
4wheelinbroncos
Senior User
i had a ricer rearend me the other day all he did was scratch my diff cover but his car was totaled and he was complaining about his anckle cause the engine came though the fire wall stupid ricer

Old 01-26-2004, 01:29 PM
sinister73
Elder User
Any car or truck that rear ends another car or truck is going to have more damage and a greater chance of incapacitation.
My brother was driving his crown vic and was pulling in to a Denny's parking lot when a guy coming off the highway in a really nice Yukon slammed into him from behind. My bro was able to drive away to go to work (at Denny's at the time) with no damage but a few scrapes and dents, while the Yukon needed major work and had to be towed.
This is not a brand quality thing- it's simple physics at work - the front ends on all these vehicles made nowadays are made to completely collapse in only moderate impacts.
I think you guys would cry foul, if you saw what happened to my 94' F150 when I smashed it into the back end of a 96' GMC Sonoma at about 30mph give or take. The old man in the Sonoma had no damage short of a bent bumper, but my F150 needed a tow and major work ( bent frame rails, blown tire, twisted bumper, broken tie rod, needed new hood, new fender, new grill, new composite headlamp, and broke the pitman arm going into the power steering gear) - all this and the airbags never went off.

Old 01-26-2004, 01:42 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
A while back, right after I got this truck, I was at a stop light waiting for green, when the man in front of me caught reverse instead of first, and backed into my truck, I think it was a Toyota, and I followed the man to his house, and got out and looked and it didn't do anything to my truck, but it dented his tailgate pretty good. I told him not to worry about my truck and left.

Old 01-26-2004, 02:17 PM
turbo TED
Senior User
chevy VS lincoln

Originally posted by sinister73
Any car or truck that rear ends another car or truck is going to have more damage and a greater chance of incapacitation.
My brother was driving his crown vic and was pulling in to a Denny's parking lot when a guy coming off the highway in a really nice Yukon slammed into him from behind. My bro was able to drive away to go to work (at Denny's at the time) with no damage but a few scrapes and dents, while the Yukon needed major work and had to be towed.
This is not a brand quality thing- it's simple physics at work - the front ends on all these vehicles made nowadays are made to completely collapse in only moderate impacts.
I think you guys would cry foul, if you saw what happened to my 94' F150 when I smashed it into the back end of a 96' GMC Sonoma at about 30mph give or take. The old man in the Sonoma had no damage short of a bent bumper, but my F150 needed a tow and major work ( bent frame rails, blown tire, twisted bumper, broken tie rod, needed new hood, new fender, new grill, new composite headlamp, and broke the pitman arm going into the power steering gear) - all this and the airbags never went off.
sinister73: The laws of physics were not on the side of a chevy
lumina euro that hit a 93 or so lincoln town car at a stand still in a
parking lot, i heard the rukus & went to keep score ford 10 chevy 1,dodge 0, the lumina was a pile of junk just awaiting a junk yard
the breakaway motor mounts worked all too well the lumina rolled partialy on too its engine & trannie the doors sounded awful when he tried to open them on the chevy. Now on the other hand the lincoln had the urethane cover over the front bumper cut up pretty bad but no real damage. Then i have also
witnessed an old chevy chevett [aka the vett] kock off the front tire on a 2000 or so ford excursion with its [vett] front end.
Due to my experiences with fords & their lables of being overbuilt
i would rether be in an overlybuilt ford than in any other, that is one of the reasons that fords are so heavy!
turbo ted

Old 01-26-2004, 02:44 PM
sinister73
Elder User
What kind of impact was this? Lincolns are heavy cars so it's safe to say that physics apply here as well- my comparision was based on rear end collisions- no matter the vehicle these newer ones are made to collapse in the fronts - not the rears- the engineers use physics to determine the best way to design these front ends to collapse- thats a fact. There was once a day when pure vehicle weight determined the damage outcome in an accident- this is physics too. But cars are specifically engineered today to minimize this affect- years ago in a rear impact collision a 250 would have steam rolled a mini truck like the Sonoma from the sheer weight advantage alone - but not today. Today the Sonoma would end up with a dented bumper and maybe some minor frame damage(if only a moderate speed of impact of course) while the same moderate impact would cause the SD to be incapacitated and require a tow- this is'int cause "Ford sucks" or any crap like that- it's because they do what all of todays trucks from any manufacturer are designed to do - they collapse.

Old 01-26-2004, 03:13 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru
What does it say when I tapped a Lincoln Town car in the rear end, did just over $1500 in damage to it, bent my license plate on my 03 F150..... Only thing it told me was "Your insurance just went up."

Old 01-26-2004, 06:42 PM
MEPR
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cars are designed to crumple and such, its a safety thing. Besideds a good impact will roll a C frame perty easy...

Old 01-26-2004, 08:23 PM
phatpharm85
Elder User
unfortantly I recently slid into a buick with my ranger in the rain doing about 25 it totaled the buick. I threw a tow strap around my bumper, hooked the other end to the hitch on my f-150 and pulled the bumper back out, repainted the bumper to cover up the red paint and it was fine, granted it cracked my grill and the fiberglass header peice back there but theres no need to fix any of that stuff right away. thuis another reaon to breath life into my 88, that back bumper has hit and been hit by more then a few things and you'de never know it. I'm looking at getting a good brushgaurd for the ranger now.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:04 AM
jcreality
Senior User
I drove a Honda Civic CRX up to nearly 200k miles, and when I returned from commercial fishing in Alaska 6 summers ago, drove it to it's death on newly-rained highways in Portland. Steady traffic was moving at 50mph for a good duration, until suddenly~which anyone from a larger city can surely relate to~flow simply wasn't what it seemed to be. I was following a truck: the F350 had MUCH better brakes than I had (plus, in my youth, I had very-mistakenly-assumed that bald tires were okay).
I drove right into his back-end (prolly at about 20mph by the time I was slowed as much as I could in those conditions) and totaled my car, yet thankfully WAS able to walk out and up to his truck after that to notice how much damage I caused him. Big tough guy in a big tough Ford eh?

Yeah, I KNEW Fords weren't tough THEN either, *winx* cuz I managed to cleanly knock off his SPARE TIRE! So there!

Yeah, nothing else was damaged, thankfully! He mentioned that he felt barely anything at all, to add to it. I'm sure he was about to complain to Ford that he didn't get curtain airbags as an option. hehehe

After that, I bought another Civic, cuz they lasted so-danged long, I yet felt invincible, AND my spare tire atleast~ stayed fully in-tact! Oh, and at the time, I couldn't AFFORD a truck like that yet!

Last edited by jcreality; 01-27-2004 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:15 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
I nsaw a dodge omni hit a newer f150 (97-03) style. The truck blew a stopsign, and the omni hit the truck squarely on the passanger side front wheel, and proceeded to pust the truck about 6 feet. Totally ruined the trucks suspension, the omni barely suffered anything other than a mangled fender. I guess the truck's suspension gave first. It was cool to se a car wreak havoc on a vehicle that weighs almost 2.5 times as much.

Personally, I feel safest in my 76 pontiac, while injury would surely result if in an accident with another old car, these newer cars with crumple zonse are mincemeat for it.