1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Going to look at a 4.0L

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 10:11 PM
PSKSAM2
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to look at a 4.0L

I'm going to look at a '98 4.0L 4x4 Auto this weekend. I'm very happy with my '98 3.0L 4x4 5sp, but I want the bump up in tow capacity.

Anyway, I know most of the common '98 problems to look for on the truck (ball joints, blend door, dome light, etc) as well as what the 3.0 Vulcan should sound like. Any advice on judging the health of a '98 4.0L engine and tranny from a test drive and walking around it?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 01-27-2004, 11:16 PM
Peter94
Postmaster
I'd say once you get some distance between you and the dealership, get it going like 30 or so, then floor the thing, make sure the tranny doesnt do anything wierd, like not downshift, or any wierd noises. Then look in the rearview and make sure there is no blue exhaust coming out (burning oil). I cant imagine a 98 doing that, but you never know.

Old 01-28-2004, 02:15 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On any engine, I like to pull the pcv valve out with the engine running and see if blowby is expelled from the engine as well as how much. Look at the coolant color to see if it has evidence of rust and ATF. Smell it to make sure there is no exhaust smell. Pull the oil fill cap and look at the underside for evidence of moisture. Pull the dipstick and look for evidence of coolant in the oil as well as how clean the oil is.

As for the tranny, pull the dipstick and smell the fluid (should not smell burnt), look at it's color (should be pink, not brown), and feel it with your fingers for signs of grit. If the owner/salesman has a problem with your doing these things I'd make arrangements to take it to a shop of your choosing and let them have a look; besides it would only buy you more time to have a look around.

Old 01-28-2004, 07:46 AM
PSKSAM2
Laughing Gas
Thanks, guys. I forgot to mention it is right at the 100k mark (which is 20k less than my truck). It is a private owner, not a dealer. Guy seems to have taken care of it, but I won't know for sure until I see it.

Any other tell tale noises for this engine?

-Jim

Last edited by PSKSAM2; 01-28-2004 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:24 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ask him if he's the original owner. Ask him why he's selling it. Ask him if he has any maintenance records. Ask him if he's ever had any problems with it or if it's had any body damage.

Old 01-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
You've probably read about a "marbling" noise that some 4.0Ls will exhibit. This is not to be confused with any kind of low end knock.

Yes, ask the owner questions such as where he took the truck for service, who his mechanic is, etc. Ask him also how much use the PVH 4x4 system got and whether he has had any problems with it. Try the system out yourself and make sure it functions properly.

Try and bring an OBD-II code scanner with you and plug it in.

If the radio display is dead, it will cost you about $100 for a fix or you can go aftermarket.

Good luck with the search!

Old 01-28-2004, 05:08 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts
Most important thing is to inspect the undercarriage. If you look up under the truck, and I mean really pay attention to detail, you will be able to tell if the truck has been abused (driven through farm ponds, etc.), and you will be able to see any leaks. If a truck has a leak, it'll show it clearly up underneath. If you see no leaks whatsoever, then chances are it's a solid truck. That's the best way to tell. Most people never look underneath a vehicle before they buy....heck, that's where all the important things are!

Old 01-31-2004, 12:04 PM
PSKSAM2
Laughing Gas
Well, I'll have to change my signature. Went to look at it and it is a great truck. Runs great, underside is clean as a whistle, interior is great, heat works. The guy had some maintenance records. It was his father's truck, he just bought a Tundra. So I own a 4.0 now!

-Jim

Old 01-31-2004, 12:12 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Great news Jim, it sounds like a perfect fit for you.

So, what kind of projects can we expect from you now that you have a 4.0L Ranger?

Old 01-31-2004, 12:35 PM
PSKSAM2
Laughing Gas
Originally posted by Rockledge
Great news Jim, it sounds like a perfect fit for you.

So, what kind of projects can we expect from you now that you have a 4.0L Ranger?
Well, I already had to go shoot the driver's side door lock mechanism with some WD-40 to clear up the Door Ajar/Dome Light problem that happened on the way home.

And this one didn't come with foglights either. Luckily, some poor shmuck has already posted about installing fog's on a 98 that is prewired for it.

Other than that, this thing is tricked out. It already has power windows, so no more cranking the windows down to scan my badge at the gate house at work. That was getting annoying. Driving it home I was like "shoot, forgot to adjust the mirrors". Power mirrors, yeah baby.

Plus, it's already got a Class III on it. Apparently this old guy wanted to pull his little boat, but never got a chance to get it out on the water. How can I tell what gears I have in the rear? Is it listed on any sticker?

-Jim (with a big smile on his face)

Last edited by PSKSAM2; 01-31-2004 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:39 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Originally posted by PSKSAM2
...And this one didn't come with foglights either. Luckily, some poor shmuck has already posted about installing fog's on a 98 that is prewired for it.
I think the subject might have been covered before....

Old 01-31-2004, 07:02 PM
PSKSAM2
Laughing Gas
I'm even more excited. I just checked the axle code and it is R6. I have 3.73's in the rear. And according to the towing spec, a 4.0L auto 4x4 with 3.73's has a 9500lb GCWR! Now I can definitely pull my buddy's Porsche and trailer or anything else I need to. Time to start looking at hitch accesories.

-Jim

Old 01-31-2004, 09:11 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts
Congrats on the new truck! Most of these have 4,10 gears. I always wondered if the 3.73s would really make a difference in gas mileage. Keep us posted on how yours does!

Old 01-31-2004, 10:52 PM
tazfords
Senior User
Congrats on your new addition.

Old 02-01-2004, 12:41 AM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
R6, same as mine, also means it is limited slip and should be even better in the thick stuff should you ever go there. Unfortunately for me my L/S is worn out. Nice to already have the hitch too, should be one good truck for ya.

Quick Reply: Going to look at a 4.0L