Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.SPONSORED BY:
Click Here

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Freshman User

traves is starting off with a positive reputation.
Can an older canopy look nice??

I just found an amazing deal on an aluminum canopy in great condition for $25. The only problem is that it looks like it has been a multitude of colors over the past based on layers that have peeled back so far. Recomendations for dressing up an older canopy to make it look respectable?? I don't want to ruin the look of my truck which I've worked so hard at getting to look good, but I also am not at a point where I can shell out $500 to $1,000 for a nice one. Thoughts or ideas?

Old 01-27-2004, 07:03 AM
Post Fiend

TheWiz427 has a good reputation on FTE.TheWiz427 has a good reputation on FTE.TheWiz427 has a good reputation on FTE.
You could try a paint stripper to get it down to the surface and then paint it the color you want.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:36 PM
Posting Guru

GeneStoner is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have always wanted to take a nice aluminum canopy, restore it and Polish/Clearcoat it to look like an Airstream. Man that would look cool!
Old 01-29-2004, 11:42 PM
Freshman User

Can't I just spray paint over the existing paint? What kind of problems could that cause? Excuse my ignorance, but will a paint stripper work without any sanding? Just wipe on wipe off sort of thing?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Freshman User

Better yet, what if I were to take that fiberglass fabric and lay it over the groves in the aluminum to make it look like a fiberglass canopy. Kind of like paper "miche" (SP?).
Old 02-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Elder User

Stingray42 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally posted by traves
Better yet, what if I were to take that fiberglass fabric and lay it over the groves in the aluminum to make it look like a fiberglass canopy. Kind of like paper "miche" (SP?).
"mache"

the paint stripper isnt that simple (kind I have used, anyways) you have to kinda let it soak a bit, and then wipe/scrape off? some one plz correct me if i'm wrong!
Old 02-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Posting Guru

believer45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I got a cab height aluminum cap for $25 less than yours (what a deal!). It was originally black, I think, previous owner painted red and I did it in white to match my truck. It looks pretty good, I do like the lines of the original aluminum caps on the older body style trucks.

Cost me $50 at a friend's shop.

Dave / Believer45
'95 F250 PSD, 5-spd, 4x2, Ext Cab, 3:55 rears, 285/75 x 16 Cooper Discoverer ATR, Putco Master Boss boards, open element AIR FILTER, homebuilt REAR BUMPER, with me in the cab (285#) and full of fuel weighs 6,580 lbs (steer 3420 drive 3160) - 280,000 miles.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Senior User

ajstephan is starting off with a positive reputation.
From my limited experience painting cars, I know that you have to use a special primer to paint over aluminum. One one car, there was only one small aluminum panel above the trunk, but I didn't buy special primer just for that - and sure enough, it peeled.

You might also try a Maaco or other dealer.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:24 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners

Tags
1984, 1997, aluminum, canopy, f150, ford, red