Odometer Blackout Problem Fixed!!! - Page 28 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Odometer Blackout Problem Fixed!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-29-2016, 01:55 PM
Elder User

dakota_viking is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dakota_viking is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbx View Post
Years ago, I could find my way around and post to the proper forum. Now the site is either way harder to get around on or I am a lot more confused than I used to be. This is my apology for this being in the wrong area, if it is. I have a 2006 Explorer Sport Trak with the AM/FM 6CD with subwoofer and IPod connector in the center console. The display blacks out but will occasionally come on. Is there a quick fix or must I replace the whole unit?
Ford has proven that it builds a good truck, but the manufacturing process of circuit boards and soldering is not their strong suit.

Take the console down and have a look at all of the solder joints. If you find one that doesn't look 'quite right' touch it up with a little solder and see if your problems have gone away!

Tim
'94 Mustang Coupe - Sold
'76 F-250 "Project Copperhead" 460/C-6 (Lots of Rust!)
Old 03-29-2016, 10:03 PM
New User

Edwin Marin is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm driving Ford Ranger 3.2XLT 2013. I had my odometer blackout few days ago, it came back on and off many times, and it getting worse now. Even after I pulled out my key from the ignition, i still can turn on my radio. Sometime it came back normal for a few minutes then blackout again. What could be the problem, anyone experiencing this problem.?
Old 03-30-2016, 10:33 AM
Post Fiend

alloro is a splendid one to beholdalloro is a splendid one to beholdalloro is a splendid one to beholdalloro is a splendid one to beholdalloro is a splendid one to beholdalloro is a splendid one to beholdalloro is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Marin View Post
What could be the problem, anyone experiencing this problem.?
Try starting on page 1 of this topic.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:17 PM
Junior User

Ace_boy2786 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Marin View Post
I'm driving Ford Ranger 3.2XLT 2013. I had my odometer blackout few days ago, it came back on and off many times, and it getting worse now. Even after I pulled out my key from the ignition, i still can turn on my radio. Sometime it came back normal for a few minutes then blackout again. What could be the problem, anyone experiencing this problem.?
as for the odometer, I'd say to look over this thread about re-soldering the connections; as for the radio coming on after the key's removed, That sounds like a loose/bad ignition cylinder or something to me, but I'm no mechanic.
If you can turn the ignition cylinder without the key that is probably why the radio can come on with the key out, That could also potentially lead to a dead battery if not careful.
2013 is rather new, I'd be curious as to why the cylinder went bad, if it indeed did. is it a fleet vehicle (or ex-fleet) that is started and such ALOT throughout the day putting wear on the cylinder or a personal vehicle that is maybe 5-6 times a day?
^ Electrical Gurus, Advice needed @ v. Please PM me.
My Sig - Mods and Such http://aceboy2099.webs.com/sig.html
Old 03-30-2016, 07:27 PM
New User

Edwin Marin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_boy2786 View Post
as for the odometer, I'd say to look over this thread about re-soldering the connections; as for the radio coming on after the key's removed, That sounds like a loose/bad ignition cylinder or something to me, but I'm no mechanic.
If you can turn the ignition cylinder without the key that is probably why the radio can come on with the key out, That could also potentially lead to a dead battery if not careful.
2013 is rather new, I'd be curious as to why the cylinder went bad, if it indeed did. is it a fleet vehicle (or ex-fleet) that is started and such ALOT throughout the day putting wear on the cylinder or a personal vehicle that is maybe 5-6 times a day?
somehow I think the ignition is related to the odometer blackout. The alarm notification is flickering like I already lock the car. There's a time when i turn off my A/C, it came back on for a while. I tried to look for loose solder connection, but cant find any on the instrument cluster.