Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2014, 02:08 PM
New User

everythingbreaks is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the great information. I will be attacking my 1999 F150 XLT which has the odometer blackout problem.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Junior User

Ace_boy2786 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mines been hit and miss since 125000 or so, now that it just rolled over 150000 and I lost my main set of keys for it with the aftermarket alarm remote I'm going to replace (Upgrade) the alarm/starter, Planned on it for a while anyway, and while I'm in there I'm finally going to tackle this.

A couple months back I took apart the electrochromatic rear view mirror in my 05 F350 King Ranch and fixed that, the dimming function was REALLY hit and miss, mostly miss, Now it is all hit; The only problem with that is that the mirror was not intended to be separated so now where the two halves come together it is all ragged, superglue worked though.
^ Electrical Gurus, Advice needed @ v. Please PM me.
My Sig - Mods and Such http://aceboy2099.webs.com/sig.html
Old 08-08-2014, 03:15 PM
New User

juanrodman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Overhead console with digital temp and compass

It might be a coincidence but the outside temp and compass readouts on the overhead console of my 2001 Super Crew are now gone. When I first noticed it, it seemed to be related to the intermittent odometer blackout because my "scientific" practice of hitting the dashboard got both to come back on. It seems like the issues should be unrelated (except maybe for cold solder) but has anyone else experience this? Thanks!
Old 08-08-2014, 04:42 PM
Postmaster

HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.HomerWinzlow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The only way to know for sure is to resolder the contacts in the cluster and then see if the overhead console stops blanking out as well. Ive had to replace many overhead consoles in the past. None ever came back.

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!!

My Missing Michelle
Old 08-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Junior User

I don't remember where I read/seen it but I remember seeing online somewhere about in the over head parts some kind of resistors or something would fall off (again Solder breaking) and you'd have to get new resistors (or whatever it was) and solder them on. Then again, It could also be as simple as a cracked solder joint like the dashes and my mirror.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Elder User

lv2race is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.lv2race is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I did mine in 2012, they are separate issues. Take your time removing the overhead console, maybe find a Youtube video because there are a few hard to get to fasteners IIRC. I re-soldered joints that looked OK and the blackout was fixed.

John

'00 Expo 5.4
'06 F-150 STX 4.6
Old 09-08-2014, 05:21 PM
New User

jmen1957 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cluster removal vodeo...hope this helps out.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:06 PM
Junior User

One of the links on the side of that video show a varieation of the overhead computer fix The link to it is below, There looks to be another person who did one but I didn't watch that one just this one, It shows the little 510 and 181 resistors (or whatever they are) that need to be fixed.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:44 PM
New User

rickcroom is starting off with a positive reputation.
Richard Croom
I just completed the odometer repair. Thanks sooo much for all the help. It only took a little over an hour from start to finish. $200+ saved plus I didn't have to give up my truck for more than a week.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts ROCKS!!!!
Old 09-09-2014, 03:59 PM
New User

rickcroom is starting off with a positive reputation.
Richard Croom
ooooppppppppsssssss
Old 09-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcroom View Post
ooooppppppppsssssss
ooooppppppppsssssss, what?
Old 09-12-2014, 06:40 AM
Go Bills !

danskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to beholddanskool is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcroom View Post
I just completed the odometer repair. Thanks sooo much for all the help. It only took a little over an hour from start to finish. $200+ saved plus I didn't have to give up my truck for more than a week.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts ROCKS!!!!
X 2.. Did mine last night, little over an hour. Can't believe it is fixed, i have been pounding on the dash for over a year to get it to work.

I didn't see anything wrong so i just reheated all the odometer connections on the big board or the odometer board. I was putting it back together wondering if it was indeed fixed. Can it be that simple? Drove to work this morning and it appears to be brighter and no signs of it flickering. No more pounding !.

The longest part of the process was me sitting there drinking beer looking at the shift indicator assembly. Wondering how the heck that thing comes out. because the main assembly won't come out without unhooking it somehow. I reached in with both hands and pushed push both tabs on either side "outward" and it released. That was an assembly that i wasn't aware of that had to be removed and was tricky. But i just stared at it for a while and eventually figured it out, by luck .

Over 500 miles now.. No issues. Glad it is fixed. Thanks for this thread.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:40 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator

Tags
150, 2000, 2001, blackout, blank, electronic, erratic, expedition, f150, ford, harley, odometer, problem, repair, speedometer, truck