General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Is health insurance a right?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 03:27 AM
just_brian
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is health insurance a right?

Is health insurance a right? I pay for mine. But somehow I suspect in the very near future I'm going to be paying for everyone elses.

Old 01-25-2004, 03:33 AM
MavStallion
Junior User
Nowhere in the Constitution or Bill of Rights does it guarantee anyone health care. All we are guaranteed are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thank the liberal Democrats for where things are at and how we working folk pay for all who don't deserve. This is why I'm a card carrying Republican now. Time for a wake up call for this country before it circles the bowl.

Old 01-25-2004, 04:18 AM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well.... we should get the seniors at least a new car.

Old 01-25-2004, 04:41 AM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think it is a right,but I do feel there are ways to bring the price of healh care down to a level where it would be more affordable.By doing that everyone would be able to pay their fair share.By giving the drug companies more money through the last bill passed on Medicare,we did little to reform the system.I wonder what they will do with the extra revenue?I don't think they will make health care more affordable.

Old 01-25-2004, 07:34 AM
bigjack
Elder User
Originally posted by Fordfaggiole
I don't think it is a right,but I do feel there are ways to bring the price of healh care down to a level where it would be more affordable.
How? More gov't intervention? Medicare and Medicaid are the REASON for skyrocketing medical costs. That and out of control lawsuits. Doctors spend more time filling out gov't forms than caring for patients and so much on malpractice ins. that many are leaving the profession.--Jack

Old 01-25-2004, 07:38 AM
T/A Man
Junior User
Brain you must be very rich to pay for everyones health ins.I pay just under 10,000 a year for a family plan. Our gov. could do more for its people this a very large problem to alot of people its unaffordable yet totally nessassary.

Old 01-25-2004, 08:13 AM
TLD
Senior User
In the NEAR future the gov't is going to have to insure a way to provide every AMERICAN some form of health care that is either affordable or paid thru taxes.
No one should have to go without healthcare just because they can't afford or get health insurance but no one who is well off should foot the bill for those who can't afford it either.
It's not a right but it should be.

Old 01-25-2004, 08:13 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not a right. I pay for every red cent of mine; others can do the same.

Old 01-25-2004, 08:50 AM
bigjack
Elder User
I'm interested to know. Does anyone know of anyone who was refused life saving med. care because they couldn't pay? I'm not talking optional procedures or "quality of life" issues. Most hospitals have programs that absorb the cost of patients who can't pay. That cost is spread over the people who can pay and ins. cos. My contention is that very few people do without life saving or life sustaining care in the US simply because they can't pay. Can anyone show me where I'm wrong? I don't want to hear about your cousins neighbors friend, I mean cases you personally know about.--Jack

PS in San Francisco they have taxpayer funded sex change operations! Is that a right? If I lived there I would exersize my right to move out.

Last edited by bigjack; 01-25-2004 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:15 AM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
If you pay for health insurance, you ARE already paying for everyone elses care.
Hospitals don't recoup care costs from Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.
We already have de facto national health care, it's just an uncontrolled mess and will likely have to stay that way due to conflicting interests.
A formal national health care system would at least not bankrupt consumers who direct pay a portion of their own care. IMO medical care is, like national defense, so horrendously expensive and complex that it would be worth properly engineering a governmentally administered system. Said system wouldn't be perfect, but nothing is. In effect , national health care is national health insurance, with a shared risk pool. As is, individuals with insurance are still easy risks for bankruptcy once the insurance runs out, and the smaller localised pools keep costs higher.

Old 01-25-2004, 09:16 AM
TLD
Senior User
Lifesaving in Emergencies is never denied, The fact that short cuts may be taken to save money that could be an issue.
Preventative healthcare like a doctors visit with a small co pay is what is lacking or no co pay. Prevettaive healthcare if avalibale to all AMERICANS in the long run will save not only lives but also money.

One thing that really irritates the crap out of me is seeing someone spend $40.00 on a carton of cigarettes but say that can't afford a monthly healthcare premium . AND this is $40.00 per week.

Old 01-25-2004, 10:02 AM
bigjack
Elder User
Originally posted by monckywrench
IMO medical care is, like national defense, so horrendously expensive and complex that it would be worth properly engineering a governmentally administered system.
Government has never made ANYTHING less expensive or complex. Can't you see that Gov't is the problem not the solution.
"a government powerfull enough to supply all of your needs is powerfull enough to take all that you have" I believe Thomas Jefferson said something like that.--Jack

Old 01-25-2004, 12:03 PM
76supercab2
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by TLD

One thing that really irritates the crap out of me is seeing someone spend $40.00 on a carton of cigarettes but say that can't afford a monthly healthcare premium . AND this is $40.00 per week.
Might want to go check on what unsubsidized health insurance costs. I'm sure anyone on the board here can verify this. $160 ain't gonna buy much health insurance. I tried to get on the COBRA plan after I got laid off. Just didn't have the $1100 a month they wanted to charge me for a family of 4.

Old 01-25-2004, 03:00 PM
Hillbillywagon
Senior User
We as hard working ameraicans already pay for every ones health care through taxes and elevated preimums. If properly set up I would be all for a national heath care plan. The average american would more than likely save some money doing this.

I get stuck for over 8,000 dollars a year just for my own inshurance and my girlfriend pays about the same.

I know that no health care system can be perfect but their can certainly be an improvement over what we face right now.

Old 01-25-2004, 03:16 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru
It is most certainly NOT a right. If, (highly unlikely) the government could set up a workable system, I would be ok with that.

The odds are slim to none.....

Quick Reply: Is health insurance a right?