2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cloth Vs. Leather Seats--your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 07:59 PM
mooner8
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cloth Vs. Leather Seats--your thoughts?

I was wondering what y'all thought about leather versus the cloth seats? I'm wondering if the leather is worth the $1100-1500 additional. The '04 F150 Lariat I test drove of course had the leather, but there was something very "vinyl" about them. Are they another one of the "leather where the body touches" things? They just didn't seem to be very comfortable--or thick. I know the King Ranch F150 will be coming out this Fall, but is that Castano Leather really that much better?

Old 01-24-2004, 09:19 PM
ultramax21
Senior User
I think the leather is just " where the body touches". Its just a matter of personal preference I guess. Personally, I like the leather due to its ease of cleaning and it's lack of holding dust. The downsides are of course they're a little cold in the winter, but the heated seats should help with this (lariat only though). My 2001 SD has heated leather seats and to be honest by the time you feel the heat of the seat warmer your body heat will already have heated the leather. Cloth seats might be better in this regard, but might also so stains from that spilled morning coffee. A draw back for me on the cloth seats is the fact that after a couple years they are full of dust. If you're looking at a Lariat, I've read that some of the guys are having a hard time keeping the light tan leather clean, so you might consider the black leather. Don't forget the leather conditioner which will help keep your leather soft and clean. Just my .02!

Ultramax

Old 01-24-2004, 09:53 PM
mooner8
New User
Very good points about the ease of cleaning and heat. Does the Lariat leather only come in black or tan? How's your SuperDuty? I also test drove one of those and I must say they seemed quite a bit larger. The Lariat versions of the F150 and F250 definitely seemed to be geared for two different markets--the 250's being more of a "work truck". The 150 Lariat was sweeeetttt inside, but it seemed a bit too small--especially when compared to the SD. I'm hoping to see a King Ranch SD, but they're not very common on dealer lots.

Old 01-24-2004, 11:30 PM
ultramax21
Senior User
Well my SD has the V-10 which is another story! All in all I've been pleased with my SD Lariat, and you're right it's geared towards a different market. However, it's just to big for my needs. Obviously there is a difference in the overall ride quality of the 2 trucks, with the 04 f150 far exceeding the SD. I looked at a king ranch 250 on my dealer's lot just yesterday. It was nice but aside from the special leather and wheels (and 6.0L diesel) it wasn't much different than my 2001 SD. Also a big price difference. I suppose it just comes down to what you're going to need the truck for, as there is a big price difference between the 2. IMHO, if it's mostly needed for daily driving, hands down go with the F150. Just to let you know, the FX4 I have on order has option for option that my SD lariat has, except for heated seats.

The 04 Lariat has the option of tan or black leather, personaly I would choose black. However, some say it clashes with the "plood" (plastic wood). Also if you felt cramped in the 04 lariat, was it bc of the flow-through console? If so, remember that's only an option, you could get the same truck with a 40/20/40 bench seat. Hope all this helps.

Ultramax

Old 01-25-2004, 01:23 AM
mooner8
New User
You have helped me out immensely! About my uses for the new truck--yes, it would be almost always around town. I loved the ride of the F150. And, about the flow-through console: Right again! I didn't even think about that. The split bench should be roomier. Thanks a lot. Now, I'll have to see if I can wait until the F150 King Ranch comes out in the Fall. That'll give me more decisions to make. About your FX4: Is there any difference in ride vs the Lariat? What were your reasons for opting for the FX4?

Old 01-25-2004, 11:35 AM
mn 6.0
Senior User
I have the cloth, but if feels more like a gunny sack or tent canvas than cloth. Wish I would have gotten lether.

Old 01-25-2004, 12:26 PM
ultramax21
Senior User
When you ask about the ride difference between the FX4 and Lariat are you talking about both trim levels being F150 or what? If so I would think the Lariat might ride just a little better, as the FX4 is supposed to have specially tuned off road shocks which are stiffer.

Regardless, I can tell you this much the 2004 F150 offers a very exceptional ride. After test driving the 04 FX4 then climbing back into my SD, it was as different as night and day. Not only a smoother ride, but the quietness of the cab is just very unique for a pickup. I choose the FX4 for a few reasons: 1) it appears sportier in my mind than the lariat 2) I couldn't get my color combo in the lariat package 3) this FX4 has everything my SD lariat has except for heated seats 4) i like the grill of the FX4 much better (reminds me of the SD in some ways).

Ultramax

Old 01-25-2004, 08:13 PM
jimmyj
Junior User
I live in Texas and do not contend with a cold leather seat in the winter as much as a hot one in the summer sun. That's why I prefer (and have) cloth.
I bought a can of Scotchguard the day after I brought the truck home and gave the seats two coats. Haven't had to face the spilled coffee issue yet. My only brush with that was when Abby, our 12 pound ball of energy dog, decided to become "The Flyin' Dog." She jumped from the back seat and made a three point landing in the front passenger seat. The three points were her two back feet and her head. Both front legs straight out in front of her. One leg sent my coffee cup flying through the air upside down. Every drop of coffee landed on me, sparing the seats.
Abby, by the way has decided not to play "The Flyin' Dog" in the truck anymore.
Wish I'd Scotchguarded my pants while I was spraying the truck.
jimmyj
04 F150 XLT SCab 5.4L in Dark Shadow Gray
Loved all 4,200 miles.

Old 01-25-2004, 11:44 PM
ultramax21
Senior User
Jimmyj

Would the scotch guard work on the carpet in the floor? I've heard of sctoch guard for years and know it's a stain defender thing, but personally I've never used it. Would it alter the color of the carpet in any way? Sorry to hear about the episode with your dog.

Old 01-26-2004, 12:11 AM
mooner8
New User
Great points. I'm re-thinking my view on the leather. Yes, it's very nice, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money. Especially when I hear that it's not 100% leather--some of it's that "where the body touches" thing. The Lariat I recently tested wasn't as comfortable as I'd hoped. The cloth just seems to be better padded, but I haven't had the chance to test drive an XLT or FX4 with cloth. I like all the other bells and whistles, though, like the power moonroof, etc. I guess my point is, for what these things cost nowadays, coupled with how long I'm liable to keep this truck, I want it to be as comfortable (and durable) as possible.

For those of you with either the leather OR the cloth--What are your views on this?

Old 01-26-2004, 09:06 AM
sinjin
Posting Guru
You can get a F-150 FX4 with black cloth I believe. That would be my choice. BTW most dealers here could get an aftermarket leather interior done that is superior to factory and any color you like. Only problem is it's $1200.

Old 01-26-2004, 10:30 AM
mooner8
New User
Originally posted by sinjin
You can get a F-150 FX4 with black cloth I believe. That would be my choice. BTW most dealers here could get an aftermarket leather interior done that is superior to factory and any color you like. Only problem is it's $1200.

Sinjin,

How do you like your cloth? Is it as comfortable as I think? What's it like to keep clean? I didn't know about the aftermarket leather--but at $1200 it's still about the same price (or even a little cheaper) than factory. I'll check into that.

I just got off the phone with the local dealer for where I'm moving this summer, and she quoted me about $35,800 for an '04 F250 King Ranch !! I couldn't believe it. That's what the F150 Lariat costs. Now, I've got to decide between the F150 and 250. As I said earlier, they're very different trucks with very different functions. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Man, am I glad I joined FTE. I'm getting a LOT of great info.

Old 01-26-2004, 10:33 AM
mooner8
New User
Originally posted by mooner8
Sinjin,

How do you like your cloth? Is it as comfortable as I think? What's it like to keep clean? I didn't know about the aftermarket leather--but at $1200 it's still about the same price (or even a little cheaper) than factory. I'll check into that.

I just got off the phone with the local dealer for where I'm moving this summer, and she quoted me about $35,800 for an '04 F250 King Ranch !! I couldn't believe it. That's what the F150 Lariat costs. Now, I've got to decide between the F150 and 250. As I said earlier, they're very different trucks with very different functions. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Man, am I glad I joined FTE. I'm getting a LOT of great info.
BTW, that was a 4x4 King Ranch (loaded) I was quoted.

Old 01-26-2004, 10:36 AM
ggarrahan
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mooner8- I have a 2003 F150 King Ranch. While the leather is about twice as thick as the leather in the Lariat, it is also very absorbant. The Castano leather is not finished in the same way as the Lariat leather, and requires more care. It's really like saddle leather, and needs to be treated with King Ranch leather conditioner about every 3 months. You can buy the conditioner directly from the King Ranch in Texas, they have a website.

Old 01-26-2004, 11:29 AM
sinjin
Posting Guru
Originally posted by mooner8
Sinjin,

I haven't bought yet but the black cloth would be my choice for a F-150. I haven't seen one in person though and the tan cloth looks and feels cheap IMO. I'm still leaning towards a Superduty to pursue camper fantasies. If you opt for a beast consider a F-350 for the best payload capability. Not much more money but worth it IMO.

Quick Reply: Cloth Vs. Leather Seats--your thoughts?