22+ Mpg
4.04%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

What's your MPG

Old 03-25-2004, 07:38 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any modification you do to make your truck more powerful will only result in a loss of gas mileage, not a gain. I don't know why the 4.2 is so notorious for bad gas mileage, it just is. Alot of my friends have the same truck down here and I hear the same complaint from all of them.

It was drizzling this morning so I didn't take the bike to work and drove the truck for the first time in almost a week. I had to stop and put gas in it this morning and was shocked to see that gas prices have jumped to 2.0599. Wow, 2 dollars and 6 cents? I put 5 bucks in my tank, just enough to get me to work and back. When I get it home tonight, I'm parking it for another week.

The more gas prices go up, the more my motorcycle becomes my main source of transportation. Not just the gas mileage though, it took me twice as long to get to work this morning with the truck. I forgot how bad traffic was riding the motorcycle, becuase on the bike you just zip in and out of cars and don't really notice the traffic at all because it doesn't slow you down. But in the truck, I'm forced to just sit on the highway parked, or driving 5 mph all the way to work.

Tom

Old 03-31-2004, 04:30 PM
wezard
Freshman User
E-250, AOD, racks and ladders on top, gonna have to patch the floor board under the pedal before the warranty expires.
10 to 10.5 mpg, K&N bumped it to 10.5 to 11
Any body know any thing about the speed limiter on this rig? It kicks in at 84mph, and the truck runs for ****, about 30 or so miles if I bump it very often.
Them #s otta make the rest of you happier.

Old 03-31-2004, 04:50 PM
Drizzt
Senior User
you have a 4.2 in your E-250?

Old 03-31-2004, 05:20 PM
wezard
Freshman User
Yea, hindsight says it may have been a less than perfect move. But I never tow any thing, and don't (rarely) carry a lot of weight. AND, I got a fantastic deal. A V8 would have cost me over $3,000.00 more.
I gotta say that around town and on the urban interstates I,m pretty happy.
The only problems are
1 - Fords programing on the transmission SUCKS!
2 - Gas Mileage
3 - That damn speed limiter
I wanna run 85, and if you run 85 you gotta some times go a little over just because.
I ordered a Diablo just because of #1 and #3 above, had to take the computer to MotorHaven cuz they didn't have a read on my code. Good thing I live close to them.
I'll let you know the chip works.

Old 03-31-2004, 05:22 PM
wezard
Freshman User
P.S.
If I want speed and preformance I ride the scooter

Old 04-01-2004, 07:43 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
I can walk to work faster than driving, with all the traffic it's impossible to get my truck over 55 anyway. You guys and these open highways y'all have make me jeleous. Traffic is bumper to bumper down here even at 2am in the morning. I think we're all going to go to tiny little electric cars down here soon. There's just not enough room on the roads for cars or trucks anymore.

Old 04-01-2004, 04:03 PM
mmcrorey
Freshman User
Ok...here is something new. I posted a while back stating that I was only getting about 15-17 mpg. Well, since then I got my first oil change since I bought the truck and I filled up yesterday and I got 19.4 mpg

hmmm, I have been driving a "bit" more conservatively, but nothing too drastic. I will fill up a couple more times and see if it was just a fluke or what.

Just wanted to let you all know.

Old 04-01-2004, 05:53 PM
smokinLUV
Senior User
I get roughly 24 miles to the gallon, highway. Don't do enough city driving to bother calculating. This is Imperial gallons by the way. And I drive "a bit harder" then your average guy

Old 04-02-2004, 06:21 AM
sigma
Senior User
smokinLUV,

Does that work out to 20 MPG in US gallons?

Old 04-02-2004, 07:16 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
When I bought my truck, the window sticker rated it for 16 city and 19 highway. These figures are very optimistic and it is nearly impossible to realistically reach them. When people post figures of mileage in excess of 20mpg I am very sceptical and believe that possible their calculation if off or their speedo is not accurate, or they are simply exhagerating.

Old 04-02-2004, 09:17 AM
wezard
Freshman User
I think a lot of folks believe the little computer read out for mpg, it ain't accurate.
The only way to get accurate #s is with pen and paper, and average it over a couple of tanks.
And don't forget that you should see some improvement as the motor breaks in.

Old 04-02-2004, 09:25 AM
wezard
Freshman User
Whats it take to get rid of that New User tag? Should I post a couple hundred one liners that don't say anything, as I sometimes see done here? Or should I continue to post only when I really have something to say?

Old 04-02-2004, 09:42 AM
sigma
Senior User
Ah…. an unbeliever or two…

The petrol gods have been kind and smiled hugely upon my poor truck bestowing much mojo upon it and blessing it with much MPG whilst protecting it from those twin devils PING and KNOCK… Praise be to OCTANE!

Seriously, I check my mileage after every fill up and I am competent to correctly divide the number of miles by the number of gallons used. The average is around 20 MPG combined city/highway. I have seen a high of 24 MPG on the interstate when we drove 400 miles non-stop using cruise control. On the other end of the scale, my daughters Mercury Mystique broke down in another town (nearly 100 miles away) and I got 19.5 MPG towing her car home on a U-Haul tow dolly.

The wide range of mileage makes no sense to me. Why should one truck get nearly double the MPG of an almost identical truck? I don’t know. Could driving habits, brand and size of tires, state of tune, mod’s or a combination of all of the above cut your mileage in half? Maybe. Could it be the programming in a specific computers? Again, I don’t know but it’s possible. My Computer is a ZFT0. What’s yours?

Old 04-02-2004, 09:46 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Wezard,

Some of us bums, like me, who have "desk jobs", belong to many threads and post on them all the time. I don't post many one liners, i just enjoy posting on this site. I have learned alot from the people here, have shared my knowledge and helped others, and made alot of friends. We regulars see alot of new guys come and go, but there are a bunch of us that have been here for quite some time and have developed a very tight relationship here. If you stick around for a bit, make some friends and have some fun, you'll be surprised at how fast your posts go up.

If you post too many one liners, Oh Masterful Brian the merciless will stomp on you. (he's the moderator here, great guy)

Tom

Old 04-02-2004, 09:49 AM
Busa01
Postmaster
Sigma,

Take a look at my truck and you'll see why my mileage is so bad.....it's no mystery to me. I knew what I was getting into when I started modifying it.

You must read alot of Shakespear huh???

Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's your MPG