1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Throw-out bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 10:36 AM
runcrashboy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throw-out bearing

I just installed a new clutch and new TO bearing. Problem is the new TO bearing screeches real bad. Everyone is telling me that the bearing is sealed and there isn't anything to grease upon installation.

1. Did I miss a step when installing the TO bearing?
2. Has anyone had a bad bearing, new out-of-box failure?

PS I'm looking for reasons not to pull the transmission. Please help me find one. (lol)

Old 01-22-2004, 12:20 PM
billemc
Senior User
Sounds like there is no way not to pull it back apart. Look through the bottom pan and make sure it is installed correctly. The only thing that needs grease is the pilot bearing. I assume it only squeels when you push in the clutch petal, and engage the TO bearing. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Fordboy 72 F-100 4x4
Junior User
I had this problem when I reinstalled my used clutch after some work. I had a loud chirp that got worse when I pushed in the clutch. The only thing I replaced on the clutch was the TO bearing. I just a djust the clutch out alot till engage ment was a couple of inches on the pedal. The sound went away. The I readjusted the clutch months later to were I liked it.

Did you use an alignment tool on when you reassembled. The one they give you with the clutch kit is crap? Also did you resurface the flywheel? If not you may be hearing the clutch wearing on the old groves the old clutch made.

Old 01-22-2004, 01:59 PM
runcrashboy
New User
Yes, I had the flywheel resurfaced and balanced with the engine. I haven't spent any time adjusting the clutch. I just hooked it up and got it close. (the noise scared me. I don't want to pull the tranny.) I'll try adjusting the clutch in some more.

Any special grease on the pilot?

PS To align the clutch, I borrowed a piece of the drive shaft from the machine shop that rebuilt the engine. Worked slick.

Old 01-22-2004, 03:54 PM
Faithful Old Road Dog
Elder User
It may be just a coincidence, but a bad muffler bearing may cause the same type of noise.

I would check that the throwout bearing is on the clutch fork correctly. Did you put the T/O bearing in facing the right direction?

Old 01-22-2004, 05:56 PM
runcrashboy
New User
Muffler bearings..hmmmm. (that must be a DEQ thing - lol)

It looked like it only goes on one way. Flat side of the bearing to the fingers of the pressure plate. I'll check tonight.

Thanks for all the advice.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Fritolay
Elder User
i would double check the pressure plate is tight and make sure the fork is in the pivot inside the bellhousing (made that oops) had the same type of noise.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:02 PM
benschultz4x4
Junior User
did you replace your pilot shaft bushing? try that

Old 01-23-2004, 03:15 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It sounds like you may have installed something wrong. Clutch disc backward? bearing not on the release arm clips properly? FOD?

Old 01-23-2004, 10:14 AM
texan69ranger
Freshman User
well, i know what you are talking about, my truck is doin the exact same thing. i just had a BRAND NEW clutch put in at mr transmission about a month or two ago and when i got it back from the exhaust place, i started having a loud noise. also when i got into high rpm's it would sound like a bolt raddeling in a coffee can. i just took it back into the shop yesterday. another thing that happened with mine was after it would heat up, the clutch would stick or when it was fully depressed it would creep a little bit, like i was letting off the clutch. hopefully i will find out what wrong with my truck today. ill post as soon as i find out what my problem was. hope i helped.

Old 01-23-2004, 12:07 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
One of the problems with these old trucks is that the flywheel has been resurface too many times and it moves eveything foreward. I have had to make a longer clutch adjuster on several just to get the clutch adjustment so you could put it in gear. Now this is somewhat of a problem because now the release arm is going well past the travel limit it was designed for and some binding and noises may result.

Old 01-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Fritolay
Elder User
another thong to look at is the pivot bushings i know mine are about worn plum out next time my motor comes out i will probably fab up a cable system to replace th linkage( i hate fighting that feakin pivot arm past my headers and the front driveline dosent help matters any.

Old 01-24-2004, 02:30 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
I always liked the one we had on the Ram coupler on our old dirt track car. It was a hydralic throwout bearing. I can't remember now how we adjusted it though.

Old 01-26-2004, 07:59 AM
texan69ranger
Freshman User
well, i find out that the noises i was hearing werent the throw out bearing, it was a loose cable and a bolt had come loose that had held that cabel tight, well thats what made the noise on mine, so good luck

Old 01-26-2004, 11:57 AM
runcrashboy
New User
After further investigation...

The screeching noise happens when I RELEASE the clutch. (sorry for the misinformation earlier)

When the Clutch starts to contact the pressure plate and fly wheel, the clutch starts to grip and makes the moise for a few seconds. Almost like it's out of aignment as it releases.

Planning to work on it tonight, when I have some help.

PS Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know what I find.

Quick Reply: Throw-out bearing