North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Got any Recommendations/Tourist Info for The OuterBanks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 02:50 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Got any Recommendations/Tourist Info for The OuterBanks?

We're contemplating a visit to a cottage in Kill Devil Hills, NC, for a week in September. We've never been to SC. The cottage is right on the beach. What is there to see and do near there for that time of year? I've signed up on one of the general online tourist info websites for Kill Devil Hills. Can't wait to see what they send me.

Anybody have some websites to recommend to check out for that area? Are there any FTE members near there?

Old 07-02-2005, 09:41 AM
bulldog3531
Senior User
Check out this web site, www.outerbanks.org hope it help you out some.

Old 07-02-2005, 09:59 AM
SteveM
Senior User
Been there

The island itself is not like big city. Just drive up and down main rd and you
will find plenty to do.
If you like airplanes, go see Wright brothers musem.
I went to Hatters light house and we were able to climb clear to top,
Thats about 40 min south
Have fun.

Old 07-04-2005, 06:23 PM
jeb70112
New User
Just hit HWY 12 and keep rollin. I just got back from OBX. I take my wife there every year. We stay at hatteras Island because it a little bit of a slower place. GREAT FISHING!!!! if you are in to that. kill devil hills is close by to everything there is to do. But if you are looking for a little bit of true r and r, try hatteras island, salvo or rondanthe. but either way, you cant go wrong! have a nice trip

Old 07-15-2005, 07:50 PM
jscarb2
Senior User
i live here not to much to do that time a year other than fish site see couple of clubs if you are in to that

Old 08-14-2005, 01:51 PM
nc2k2tbird
New User
We stayed at a house above Corollla. You have to drive on the beach to get to the houses there and have a 4x4 to get there. It is nice and peaceful there. We were less than a 1/4 mile to the Virginia State line and saw plenty of wild horses all around.

Old 08-18-2005, 08:04 AM
gpeade
Elder User
where on the beach in obx?

Where else other than the inlet would anyone suggest to take my 150. I know you can go just about anywhere along the coast but I'm kinda looking for a fairly easy ride. Really don't care to get stuck with my wife & kids!
We will be staying in Colington and I really don't care to drive an hour just to hit the beach, know what I mean.
any suggestions or warnings would be appreciated. I have allready been told to avoid #26.
Thanks
Gerald

Last edited by gpeade; 08-18-2005 at 08:07 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:53 AM
jscarb2
Senior User
you can only drive on orgen inlet and coralla this time of year! both are 1-1.5 hours from colington in traffic.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:15 PM
gpeade
Elder User
cigarxtc, just got back tues. and i'll agree with other posters if you really want r & r go south rodanthe, hatteras etc.
The only prob I had was that other that being on the beach there isn't a extremely large amount of activities to do. I mean how many times can you play minature golf. if your a fisherman great' but other than that we ran out of activites for our 2 kids real fast.
Either way you'll enjoy yourselves but if you really want lots of "stuff" to do you need to make the trip to myrtle beach.
That's my opinion and you know what they say about opinions!!!

Old 08-25-2005, 05:46 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by gpeade
cigarxtc, just got back tues. and i'll agree with other posters if you really want r & r go south rodanthe, hatteras etc.
The only prob I had was that other that being on the beach there isn't a extremely large amount of activities to do. I mean how many times can you play minature golf. if your a fisherman great' but other than that we ran out of activites for our 2 kids real fast.
Either way you'll enjoy yourselves but if you really want lots of "stuff" to do you need to make the trip to myrtle beach.
That's my opinion and you know what they say about opinions!!!
Thank God, There is still a place where you can go without 3 thousand stop lights, 4 lane hwy ways and bumper to bumper traffic like Myrtle Beach.

My O

John