heater blows cold air... does 'pin' fix work on 99 Expedition?

Old 01-18-2004, 10:42 AM
denman03
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heater blows cold air... does 'pin' fix work on 99 Expedition?

Hi,

I have a 99 Eddie Bauer Expedition. The heater will only blow cold air. It has the electronic heater and a/c controls.

I checked the heater hoses and both are hot.

I replaced the thermostat and that made no difference.

I ran the self diagnostic on the heater control and only got code '888'

I read a few posts in here that it may be the blend door, but shouldn't that be giving me a code on the diagnostic?

Can the blend door fail and still not give a code? I'm kinda lost on where to go from here guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated as it's kinda cold at the moment and this is the wife's sled.

I also read that the 'pin' fix doesn't particular do anything for the Expedition. Can somebody else confirm that as well?

thanks

Denman03

Old 01-18-2004, 07:14 PM
bob arrington
Posting Guru
do you have defrost heat but not the floor ?

Old 01-18-2004, 08:55 PM
denman03
New User
no defrost either ... update ...

defrost heat wasn't working either.

OK, now I'm really confused ... Here's an update

I drove into town and about 20 minutes into the drive, the darn thing started working again....

any ideas at all?

Old 01-19-2004, 06:08 PM
dhester
New User
My 1999 EB Expedition blend door is broken. I took things apart to confirm that the part where the motor connects to the door is broken. There really isn't enough left of it to put a pin in. I tried the ETAC diag too and got the 'no code' code. It kinda make sense if condier that the computer could tell if the motor wasn't responding, but unless there are sensors on the door, the computer can't detect that. The motor will move and the door is expected to follow.

My AC worked intermittantly, and my heat wasn't real hot. So I understand your confusion. I decided that the blend door was likely my problem and that I should have a look.
Unfortunately, you need to pull out the center console to get access to the bled door area. Its not very hard to do. you have to remove the rubber mat in the spare change area, to get the screw undreneath. Pop out the cup holder assembly. You should find two silver screws near the floor level on the inside - remove these and the screws at the back of the console, on the outside, near the floor (the ones under the little covers.) Once you can see the blend door motor ( you may have to remove a little trim piece first). You can see verify that the motor turns when you change control settings. I could see a few pieces of the socket on the door hanging down on mine. I'm waiting for a shop manual to decide how to proceed. To take the plenum apart, much of the dash has to come apart too.

Old 01-19-2004, 07:09 PM
denman03
New User
man oh man...

thanks for the advice man. since it's working today i'm gonna leave it but if it quits again i'm certainly going to have to dive on into it as it is the wife's car.

one other question. does having the CD changer make taking the console out any more difficult?

thanks

Old 01-20-2004, 03:29 PM
dhester
New User
not really. There is one big plug to remove. It has a bolt that holds it in so it's not too bad to take out.