2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bedliners

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 03:40 PM
98Cobra
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bedliners

Has anyone had the Ford factory bedliner installed? I did not think Ford made their own bedliner but my dealer tells me differently.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Sully04 F150 4x4
Senior User
When I bought my truck, it had a drop-in bedliner in it. This was a DEALER INSTALLED option. I told them I didn't want it, so they removed it and deducted that price from the cost of the truck. I had a spray-in bedliner put in. Very nice!!

Old 01-17-2004, 03:55 AM
fullauto1
New User
Sure. I had one installed in my Screw. You have to weigh out the options on a "spray in" compared to the ford liner. Try driving a snowmobile with carbides up into a spray in bed. Cuts it like a hot knife. Where as my plastic liner has its own corragated grooves which allows the skis to float the carbides between the corragations. You really have to look at what you haul to help you decide which way to go. I had a ford liner in my 98 Scab. I hauled everything from dirt, snowmobiles, stones, dirtbikes 4 wheelers and the list continues. When I traded it in, it looked just as good as the day I bought. There is no such thing as maintainance free in my book, but the ford liner held up to my beatings and I purchased another one. I have seen a few of the spray in types after they have had a few dents and scrapes put in them. They really stand out once you bang them up. I have seen the commercials for the spray in types on how they take the abuse, and then there is the real world. Just my .02

Old 01-17-2004, 07:50 AM
wsburgos
New User
Thumbs up

I got the Ford drop in bed liner and it works good for me I put my motorcycles in the back and occasionally dirt rocks and stuff like that.

Old 01-17-2004, 01:57 PM
CruelCrew
Senior User
I don't think the drop-in liner is "factory" Ford, or made by them. The bedliner is available through Ford accessories. For example, I know their hard tonneau covers are made by Leer.

But in my opinion, Spray-in is the only way to go.

Over time, the drop-in liners rattle, warp, and wear the paint off the bed (causing rust). They won't work at all if you plan on putting a small camper on the truck. And they only come in black.

A spray-in is guaranteed for life, will not rattle, warp, or wear the paint off. The inside of the bed will never rust. You can install a camper over it, and you can have one sprayed in any of several colors. They result in a solid, sound-reducing bedliner.

I load snowmobiles with carbides in my truck with a spray-in all the time. I get nothing more than a small scratch. Some of the cheaper spray-ins seem to be soft. I would recommend X-Liner. Their texture and hardness is near perfect, and they will touch-up or repair any scratches (if you get them) free.

Old 01-17-2004, 04:16 PM
wsburgos
New User
Arrow

Ford makes their own bed liner. Also a drop in does rub the paint off but it still serves as a better dent protecter than the spray on liner, also I would rather have the spray in liner but the drop in was free and I can not afford the spray in liner right now. They both do a good job of protecting the bed. And most of the time a truck bed rusts out with a liner it is from the bottom which I have only seen twice. But a spray in liner is better in my opinion.

Old 01-17-2004, 05:33 PM
lariatf150
Senior User
When I do this, I think what I will do is this...Do the spray in first. Then buy a rubber bed mat for the floor. See how I like it and then finally, maybe buy a drop in plastic liner that will go over top of the sprayed in liner. The reason I want it sprayed no matter what is because I plan on keeping the truck for 10 or 12 years. I'm afraid after all that time, a drop in will trap SOME moisture and the liner will surely rub the paint little by little and then I may end up with a rust hole before I know it. Screw that. I think the plastic liner is better for dents, but the spray on is better for sliding and moisture issues. It just depends on what is important to you and what you haul. Since my truck's main function in life will be to drive me 30 miles to an office park every day and then back home again, I think the spray in will be fine. BUT, I would like to also have a mat to protect the floor from dents if I drop something on the bed. I'll just have to see how this all works out. For the first several months, I'm sure all I will have is a mat - no spray in or drop in.

Old 01-17-2004, 06:28 PM
wsburgos
New User
Well for that kind of work a spray in liner well be good. My old f150 I had from 92 - 2004 and it had a drop in and never rusted the bed. But the paint was rubbed away for sure and it could have rusted. The spray in does give more protection no doubt; when it comes to moisture.

Old 01-17-2004, 10:16 PM
jimmyj
Junior User
I have the Ford hard plastic drop in liner and really like it. It's a lot easier to move stuff across the bed than it would be with a spray-in. Once I get it on the bed, I usually don't want to have to lift it again.
I got impressed by the Ford liner when I bought a 94 F150 XLT 5.0 SCab Flareside in monochrome white. (Sorry for the commercial but it was a beautiful truck.) It had what looked like an original Ford liner (when I lifted it up, there were no scratches on the bed) that was really nice. Friends even commented, too. As we were sliding something heavy to the front of the bed, "This is a nice liner!"
No cracks, chips, etc. Still looked good when I sold the truck in 2000.
I don't know if Ford makes the liner or has it made to their specs by someone else. I would guess that they have it made for them.

Also, I like having the oval "Ford" logo moulded into the front of the liner. Looks cool.
jimmyj
p.s. The dogs like it, too. Because they slip and slide on the liner, they get to ride inside!

Old 01-17-2004, 10:29 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts
I bought my truck and had the Ford liner put in three days later. Best purchase made yet. Here's why:

http://www.durakon.com/usa/faq.html

Last edited by WXboy; 01-17-2004 at 10:31 PM.