2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New F-150 commercial,,

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 06:43 PM
CruelCrew
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different strokes for different folks.

The Dodge/Hemi would be a fine value, especially considering the better warranty and incentives. But IMO, it is not up to par with the Ford as a whole.

I guess I'm in the majority because Ford has led this market for 25+ years.

BTW, I think pulling a Dodge and Chevy truck at the same time would exceed your towing weight limits, and most likely void your warranty.

Old 01-17-2004, 06:56 PM
lariatf150
Senior User
I've never owned a truck before...and I'll fill you in on why I picked the new F-150 over the others (I even get GM employee pricing and I didn't go with GM)...
1. I love the looks of the new F-150. If they hadn't changed the design for '04, I would have most likely bought a Silverado.
2. I like the deeper bed on the Ford.
3. I like the locking tailgate on the Ford. I looked at a Silverado 1500 LT and it had NO locking tailgate
4. I like the fact that everyone that has tested the new F-150 agrees that the frame is muc stiffer and stronger than the other makes.
5. I like the fact that the ride is MUCH quieter and more comfortable in the new F-150. The Chevy I drove felt mushy on the road and it was way too loud. I've read reviews that said the Dodge was even louder.
6. I couldn't stand the interior on the GM's or Dodge.
7. For the price, I feel like I get much more for my money than I would have with the GM's or Dodge.
8. I like the new 5.4 liter V8. The fact that 80% of it's torque is available at 1,000 RPM is awesome!
9. 18 inch wheels standard on the Lariat. You have to pay more for larger wheels on the Chevy and I don't think they had an option for 18's on the 1500 LT Silverado.

Trucks have changed a lot in the last few years. If they hadn't changed so much, I would be buying a nice car of some sort. I really never thought I'd be so excited about getting a truck. Some people complain that trucks are TOO nice now and they aren't trucks anymore. Well, if you want a vinyl interior truck with a manual tranny, you can still get that. Nobody said everyone had to buy a Lariat. I think the changes have been good for trucks. You can finally buy one now and feel comfortable using it as a daily driver like I will be doing.

Old 01-17-2004, 08:06 PM
CruelCrew
Senior User
I compared things more to the Titan and the Toyota, both quality rigs. Although a good value, the Dodge just didn't do it for me, and I had no reason to even look at the Chevy.

Old 01-17-2004, 10:50 PM
trucksforever
Senior User
yeh, i would have to say that the crown of the 1/2 tons goes to either Ford Or Nissan. Dont know for sure, i like them both. We will have to see how they do in the reliability catagory.

Old 01-17-2004, 11:15 PM
jessfactor
Elder User
all these commercials of trucks racing.....if i wanted to race i'd buy a sports car or maybe a lightning. the dodge may have beat the ford in a 0-60, but thats because the hemi wanted to keep the rpm's high. they have to start comparing low rpm power. i dont think i would use the 0-60 times in my personal comparason. the times are usually so close that you need a track to see the difference. you would never notice on the street. even if you did floor your truck alot i dont think you would say to yourself, "that only felt like 8.1 seconds. i should have gotten the dodge because it would have made it in 7.9 seconds." the numbers are made up but you can see my point. it would be like saying one sports car is better than another because it can tow more.

Old 01-18-2004, 07:34 AM
rockclimber
Junior User
Many keep saying the hemi wins in races only because of it's higher power and that the 5.4L 3 valve has more low end. Not True, the hemi has more torque available at all speeds, out pulls, and out accelerates the Ford even if you add ballast to even out the weights. As was mentioned in an earlier post, the Ram's hemi also has 80% of it's peak torque from 1000 rpm to red line (except perhaps 1000 rpm where the Ford may have a 2 ft lb advantage). At this point, there have been numerous tests by the magazines, if the Ford had better low end, wouldn't it be quicker to at least 0-30 (the lowest speed they typically give numbers for)?

About the AMCI independent test, I thought they were both 1/2 ton trucks, wouldn't using a heavier 2500 Ram help the Ford hang?

Ford needs to give us a stronger engine in the 1/2 ton segment. They thought 300 hp would be class leading as they developed the new F150, they didn't plan on Dodge releasing the hemi into the 1500 nor the brute strength of the Titan. The Ford comes in last or near last in most performance categories. The only place it seems to win is in their commercials, the public will buy that for only so long. So please, Ford, deliver on your propaganda.

Old 01-18-2004, 07:55 AM
dgdee
Senior User
There's a reason they quit making Hemi motors in the early 70's,
They could'nt keep them running!

Old 01-18-2004, 08:09 AM
lariatf150
Senior User
I priced out a Ram 2500 Laramie with hemi and a F-150 Lariat with as many featureas and options as I could match up to make it fair, and the Dodge was $38,400 compared to Ford's $35,985 (before incentives). That's quite a bit more. Plus, I don't see an extended cab option on Dodge's web site. It's either a regular cab or 'quad' cab and that's it, no extended/super cab. Add to that the fact that you get a much nicer ride in the Ford, I like the Ford better. Not just noise levels, but handling too. Basically everyone that has reviewed the new F-150 has said it handles better than all the other trucks. Here's a little from canadiandriver.com:
"Most light trucks transmit a feeling of instability whilst rounding corners, especially when roads are wet and slippery and the cargo bed is empty, as the lightness of the rear end has a tendency to promote fish tailing. At no time during my 7 days with the F-150 did I feel this sensation, and for most of this time period, the roads were a rain-soaked mess. "

Full article: http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/rp/04f150.htm

Old 01-18-2004, 08:52 AM
sinister73
Elder User
Posted by lariatf150;

I priced out a Ram 2500 Laramie with hemi and a F-150 Lariat with as many featureas and options as I could match up to make it fair, and the Dodge was $38,400 compared to Ford's $35,985 (before incentives). That's quite a bit more.

Both of these trucks are WAY over priced, and I would'int feel as though I got my money's worth even paying only 30,000.00 for either of them, though if I had to- I'd take Dodges 3/4 over Ford's 1/2 ton anyway-it's A LOT more truck. Even with all it's new features and the 7700lbs GVWR pkg, the F150 is no match for a true HD 3/4 ton truck.

Heck I could pick up a brand new Dodge SLT dually with diesel engine for the list price on the Ford you gave.

Try the same price comparision with a 1500 Dodge- that's actually comparing apples to apples.

As far as the test goes, the Ram 2500 out weighs the F150 (both reg cab) by a good 500lbs.

Dodge actually gave Ford much more than a fair chance in that test, they used a heavier version of their own truck, and used Ford's lighter version- besides the F250 would have been dogged really bad with that 2 valve 5.4L engine it still uses- and we are talking base engines here- so the V10 can't come out and play.

All of this speaks volumes about Dodge's confidence in their product.

Old 01-18-2004, 08:54 AM
Brunko
New User
Originally posted by lariatf150 I priced out a Ram 2500 Laramie with hemi and a F-150 Lariat with as many featureas and options as I could match up to make it fair, and the Dodge was $38,400 compared to Ford's $35,985
Why would you price compare a 3/4 ton to a 1/2 ton? Like, really?

Originally posted by lariatf150 incentives). That's quite a bit more. Plus, I don't see an extended cab option on Dodge's web site. It's either a regular cab or 'quad' cab and that's it, no extended/super cab.
That's because their isn't one.

Old 01-18-2004, 11:20 AM
lariatf150
Senior User
I compared 3/4 ton to a 1/2 ton because that's what Dodge used in the test. And I'm not sure why Ford would use the Dodge 2500 in the commercial either. They should have both used the 1500 and the F-150.

All I know is, I don't like the looks of the Dodge and the GM's. Inside or out. I plan on no heavy duty work. So for me, it was all about comfort, appearance and price. I think the F-150 Lariat (as most professional reviewers say) is more refined and fun to drive than the others. It's all personal preference. GM/Toyota/Nissan/Dodge folks can say whatever they want about my particular truck, but in the end...I coulnd't care less wat anyone else thinks. I love it and that's that And I don't mind the price either. My house is paid off in March and I have no other debt, so the $31,000 I'm paying with taxes is ok with me. Cheaper is always good, but fortunately I don't have to worry about that now.

Old 01-18-2004, 08:50 PM
BVFD1983
Senior User
I heard the Rams are all made in Mexico. That is reason enough for me to hate them.

Old 01-18-2004, 09:44 PM
Brunko
New User
Not all.

It is built at Dodge City in Warren, Michigan (1500 only); St. Louis, Missouri; and Saltillo, Mexico.
http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/specs.html

Old 01-20-2004, 01:53 AM
Dodge
New User
so far i only had one guy driving a f150 try to race my dads 2003 dodge ram HEMI ....and i dont even wanna tell you about the results...lets just say when i looked back he looked small. not here to start enemys so dont kill me guys lol . I like the looks of the f150 from the front but from the side its tooo square.

---------------------------
My 1998 Dodge Dakota Slt
----8.5 inch Lift
---- 5 speed
---- Single Flowmaster Exhaust
---- 4:56 Gearing
---- K&N FIPK

Last edited by Dodge; 01-20-2004 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:51 AM
Ev2Demon
Senior User
Originally posted by dgdee
There's a reason they quit making Hemi motors in the early 70's,
They could'nt keep them running!
That's the most ignorant post I've read on this board in the past few weeks.

Quick Reply: New F-150 commercial,,