Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

instrument panel wiring question

Old 01-15-2004, 01:56 PM
ackusackus
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
instrument panel wiring question

My old gauge cluster has rotted out, and I just received my "new" cluster today. It has the full gauges (like my old one) but does not have the seatbelt light. Instead the hi beam indicator is in that slot, and 100mph speedo versus my old 85mph.

Also, the connections are COMPLETELY different from my old cluster. The plug slot is identical, but the wiring pinout is 100% different.

1. I think I got the pinout sorted out, but would anybody have a diagram I could verify against?

2. How do I pop the pins out of the connector so I can move the pins around?

I tried to do a search for past posts but evidently there is too much bandwidth right now.

thanks,

ackus

Old 01-15-2004, 01:59 PM
grapegravy
Elder User
What year truck are we talking about?

Old 01-15-2004, 02:45 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
There are 2 different cluster backs.

The 14 pin plug for a cluster with Idiot lights, & the 18 pin plug-in for gauge type clusters.

Let's hope you didn't too pay much for it.

Old 01-15-2004, 02:59 PM
ackusackus
Senior User
Looks like there are more variations than that.....What I have are both 18 pin, but the pinout is different. On my old cluster, there are some "no-load" slots. pins 2-3,16 and 18. On the new one, they have dedicated 2 pins to 1 circuit for 4 of the circuits. It looks like the only wires I will NOT have to move are the..looking at my diagram......nevermind....I made an oops...I gotta move them all :-)

I payed a little more than I wanted, but it is in great shape except for the lens. That is okay though cause my old cluster has a great lens, but the curcuit is shot and the plastic is brittle and crumbling bad. I have to dig under the dash at night and wiggle the lights for the cluster.....or drive with a flashlight in my mouth. Besides, I like the look of the 100mph speedo more

ackus

Old 01-15-2004, 03:07 PM
Mil1ion
New User
You could have gotten away with a just getting a cluster back instead of the whole thing.

Old 01-15-2004, 04:02 PM
grapegravy
Elder User
Yeah,, there are more than two variations of the plug, as we found out months ago. It's a shame the printed circuit board is shot, otherwise you could use that with your old plug and the new cluster housing. You need to trace each wire on the plug and put the in the appropriate order on the plug to match to the circuit's routing. Will take some time, but worth it in the long run, especially just for the fact of reliable dashlights. Are you going from idiot lights to gauges? If so, that will have to wired into the truck as well.

Old 01-15-2004, 04:09 PM
ackusackus
Senior User
True, but I decided to go this route, and from what can remember reading here, it is simple plug and play.

Only in this case it is not......My connector is about 1/4-1/2" too long for the plug in the back of the speedo. The general layout is identical, the width is good, though I have not checked the pin spacing yet. Any body run into this and have any suggestions to offer before I start modifying the connector to fit?

Old 01-15-2004, 04:27 PM
grapegravy
Elder User
Last summer I ran into this problem, and four instrument clusters later, I decided to do away with the whole system and made my own dash out of aftermarket gauges and such.

Just make sure you follow all the wiring correctly and they are plugging into the right pins. Other than that shouldn't be too bad. Never heard of there being different speedo connectors though.

Old 01-15-2004, 05:04 PM
79f150TX
Senior User
grapegravy-
could you post pictures and explain how you made your own cluster?
I was thinking about doing the same thing.
Nick

Old 01-15-2004, 05:17 PM
grapegravy
Elder User
Don't have any pics yet of it, still not finished with the rest of the interior, plus digi camera is on the fritz

But if you like, shoot me an email through my profile link and I'll explain it all to you there (and anyone else who is interested). Doing so got rid of a large amount of the "clutter" behind the dash panel with, for me, the added custom look. Plus the knowledge that all the wiring is new and soundly installed. Not to mention a reliable and accurate wiring diagram.

Old 01-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Mil1ion
New User
ackus,

Can you provide photo of the cluster and the connector seperately ?

Here is a 74 cluster back.

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion...lusterBack.JPG

and a 77-79 cluster back

http://www.clubfte.com/users/mil1ion...lusterBack.JPG

Old 01-15-2004, 11:10 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by ackusackus
Only in this case it is not......My connector is about 1/4-1/2" too long for the plug in the back of the speedo. The general layout is identical, the width is good, though I have not checked the pin spacing yet. Any body run into this and have any suggestions to offer before I start modifying the connector to fit?
I had the same problem. My instrument cluster case was falling apart, so I purchased NEW: panel circuit, bulbs, sockets, and amp I.R.V. Only I could not purchase a new instrument cluster. So I went to my local salvage yard (actually had to go to about 6) and found what I thought would work (it was complete). I took my old one as a reference and the Ford tooling part # did not match, but had all the necessary stuff. So I purchased it. I removed everything from both cases and re-built the "New-Used" case with all the new parts and my old original parts (speedo, and all gauges). Went to install and the connector was to large for the case. So I measured the case with a micro-gauge and marked. Took my trusty Roto-Tool out and began to re-size the back of the case to fit my plug. After several trial fits...I got it right and plugged right in and all works fine. Looks pretty good too...if I don't say. I figured the circuit will still work, since it is for that plug type and it did.

Sorry for the STORY, but hope this helps. Sure beat's re-wiring and all that stuff. eek!

Old 01-16-2004, 02:05 AM
ackusackus
Senior User
thanks for the pics mil1ion. I have GOT to break down and buy that service manual CD sold here. I think that gave me my answers (along with the other posts). It is an issue of putting a 74 cluster in a 77 truck. I might check my local yard and dealership, and see what they have, then whip out the dremel tool if all else fails.

So I think I will be good to go from here....If I come up with any more interesting tidbits on this, I will post them.

Thanks all.
ackus

Old 01-16-2004, 02:29 AM
goldnickle
Senior User
I had a similar situation. I bought a 74 F250 4x4 that had been rolled, there was no useable sheet metal. I put a complete body change on, what a job. I had rotted plastic in the instrament pannel.I took a good one out of my 78 parts truck and found none of the lights or instraments worked.I took the ptinted circut of the '74 and made it fit the 78 panel .
forgot to mention while I was in there the 8 or 9th time I put new 194 bulbs in and took out the little blue caps. Now everything works and I have bright dash lights, that are not dull and green.

Last edited by goldnickle; 01-16-2004 at 02:33 AM.