General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Hmmmm Which Party should I go to?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 11:23 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Hmmmm Which Party should I go to?

Well, now that I got your attention,
What do all of youse think about a Politician that changes colours ?

I don't know all about the system's in the states,but,up here in canuckville we constantly have politicians change parties during their tenure.
Yes,this is running Rampant up here.

We have Liberal's that become Conservative's, we have Conservative's that become Liberal's, NDP'rs that join the Reform Party & Reformer's becoming Liberal's.

There is no way in the world that I can respect a politician that changes parties.

Old 01-14-2004, 11:29 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree Dennis, I think that shows just how far a politician will go to get elected. What principals and values?

Oh by the way, go with the conservative one.

Old 01-15-2004, 12:31 AM
rlh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by olfordsnstone
I agree Dennis, I think that shows just how far a politician will go to get elected. What principals and values?

Oh by the way, go with the conservative one.
Yeah, but does that mean he votes for the liberal one?

Old 01-15-2004, 12:37 AM
pyro_thunder_85
Freshman User
Doesn't jumping parties fit within the definition of a traitor?

trai·tor
n.
One who betrays one's country, a cause, or a trust, especially one who commits treason.

How can anyone trust a turncoat to lead a city, state, or country??

If they don't like the direction the party is going, they need to work to change that direction IMHO.....

Old 01-15-2004, 12:45 AM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Now that you mention traitor.

In 1993, the official opposition to our Ruling Federal Liberal government was the *Parti Quebeqois*(sp), this is the party that had been wanting & trying to *Seperate* from the rest of Canada.

Old 01-15-2004, 01:07 AM
hreed
Posting Guru
Doesn't mean diddly squat. They change colors to get votes. Don't ever count on the pols to take care of you. Best defense for you and me is to hunker down; feed your family; and take care of yourself. Some ammo will help. The title they have means nothing!

Old 01-15-2004, 04:52 AM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont find anything wrong with changing parties.what bothers me is when they change their views.

Old 01-15-2004, 05:11 AM
White_Knight
Senior User
Lightbulb leopards and spots

Opportunists! all of them!

"Never a day without a new angle"

I am a Houyhnnhnn by free choice, myselph.

W/K

Old 01-15-2004, 07:09 AM
HerbertKornfeld
Senior User
Why? Can't a person change their mind? I know my political opinions have changed from when I was younger.

Here in the Pig Pen, we debate issues. If you present your case and I agree with your point of view and change my mind, am I a traitor? Why would politicians be different?

In my opinion, it's only an issue if a politician gets elected by representing himself as holding one set of opinions and then changes while still in office. If that is the case, then I think they should resign.

Old 01-15-2004, 08:05 AM
bigjack
Elder User
Ronald Reagan said "I didn't leave the Democratic Party the Democratic Party left me". Should he have stayed even though they took a radical turn to the left?--Jack

Old 01-15-2004, 09:48 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by bigjack
Ronald Reagan said "I didn't leave the Democratic Party the Democratic Party left me". Should he have stayed even though they took a radical turn to the left?--Jack
I think the issue was conservative vs liberal. I believe that Reagan was a conservative Democrat and his party became more and more liberal which left him with a choice to move to a party that more represented his views.

Also, I do think that politicians have the right, as we all do, to change their minds, however I believe the thread indicated changing in their tenure.

Old 01-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Waxy
Postmaster
Dennis - here's the other take, and it's basically along the lines of bigjack's post.

If you are elected as an Liberal, but find the majority of those within the party are starting to lean too far left (or right), do you continue to work for that party knowing that they don't truly represent your views, the views your constituents elected you on, or do you switch over to the Conservative (or NDP) party?

We are facing a pretty big reshuffling of our political party system, one that scares the bejeezes outta me, because I see us moving closer and closer to a two party system. The sole reason for it is the desperation that's setting in to unseat the Liberals.

The Liberals have essentially become the Conservatives, as a result, the Conservatives have had to become even further right to distinguish themselves. This stance, the Reform stance, simply doesn't fly in eastern Canada. The result is to "unite the right" in a desperate attempt to win support across Canada. THEY WON'T.
The NDP is next to communism, and they are also incapable of forming any kind of a block in the house, throw in the Block Queubecois, and it's no wonder we can't get anything done.

I could go on about this forever, but my blood pressure would only go up, and there aren't enough Canadians here anyway.

IMHO, the recent rush of politicians switching parties has more to do with the realignment of party ideology than the ideology of the politicians themselves changing. Of course, there will always be the looking out for #1 elemnent involved in these decisions.

Waxy

Old 01-15-2004, 09:57 AM
bigjack
Elder User
When you vote a person into office are you voting for the person or the party? If you vote for the person does it matter if they change parties during their tenure? If you vote for the party I guess it would.--Jack

Old 01-15-2004, 10:23 AM
pchristman
Laughing Gas
Re: Hmmmm Which Party should I go to?

Originally posted by Mil1ion
There is no way in the world that I can respect a politician that changes parties.
I take it a step further: "There is no way in the world that I can respect a politician ."

Old 01-15-2004, 10:30 AM
HerbertKornfeld
Senior User
Originally posted by olfordsnstone
Also, I do think that politicians have the right, as we all do, to change their minds, however I believe the thread indicated changing in their tenure.
Oops, my bad! Didn't read close enough.

Quick Reply: Hmmmm Which Party should I go to?