1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Turn Rotors if Pads have 3mm?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 08:00 PM
1sttimeexpeditionowner
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turn Rotors if Pads have 3mm?

Okay - so this is probably pretty dumb BUT I just got back from my local Ford dealership for the 42,000 mile service on my 1998 Expedition 4WD. They checked both the front and the rear brakes - and they found 6mm remaining on the front pads, and 3 mm on the back brake pads.

When they called me with the estimate, I gave them the green light to replace the rear pads and whatever else was necessary in the 42K service. When I picked up the Expedition, I noticed that they turned the rotors - and charged me $80.25 specifically for the turning. [The rear pad replacement was a separate line item from this.]

Now it has been a while since I worked on a car - but when I was younger, we only turned the rotors if there was metal touching metal ... as in 0 mm of brake pads with some rotor damage. I floated this theory in a nice way past my trusty service advisor - and he said that anytime the brake pads are 3mm or less, they recommend turning the rotors regardless because the rotors on Expeditions tend to warp easily. This is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing - and I'm trying to decide if I should complain, or ask for a refund of my $80.25, or ???

What do you all think? Please let me know - thanks!

Greg

[Yes, I know - I should have either listened more carefully or asked more detailed questions when the service advisor called me.]

Last edited by 1sttimeexpeditionowner; 01-14-2004 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:13 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
You should turn them if they are glazed, or have grooves in them. Thats what I always go by.

Old 01-14-2004, 10:23 PM
1sttimeexpeditionowner
New User
I hear what you are saying, mistercmk - and I totally agree. Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to personally view the condition of the rotors.

Keep in mind that the Service Advisor said that they prefer to turn the rotors anytime the brake pads are 3mm or less - as a matter of policy. He said that the rotors are subject to warping regardless of whether the brake pads were totally worn off. So I guess I'm asking if anyone thinks what the Service Advisor said is reasonable. I personally have my doubts - but I'm interested if others think I got work done unnecessarily (as they never said I had rotor damage - rather they turn the rotor PREVENTATIVELY).

What do you think?

Old 01-14-2004, 10:37 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I think he is reasonable, it is a CYA for ford, and there may not be damage, but just wear on the rotor, aka grooves, or glazing

Old 01-15-2004, 12:23 AM
tsdrallyer
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thickness of the pads have absolutely no effect on warping.
Warping is done by heat generated that cannot be evenly and adequately dispersed while under pressure, if it is a good rotor to begin with.
They should be turned if any grooves or glazing has occured. I have 122K miles on mine, without being turned once. I'm near the end of my second set of Porterfield Brake racing pads RS-4 type. Fantastic performance in all conditions, slow wear, little dust, no noise, and no rotor damage.

A policy of turning based on pad thickness has only one aim, more profit for the dealer.

Old 01-15-2004, 08:13 AM
jrangel
Freshman User
I have a question. My brakes just started the squeeling as the wheel turns letting me know I need new brakes. I cannot get this done for another week? Am I okay with this like that or will it damage the rotors. I just had front and back brake job. Rotors at the time didnt need to be turned. Any advice?

Old 01-15-2004, 09:33 AM
jswanberg10
Senior User
1sttimeexpeditionowner

If the rotors had any "runout" what so ever, giving them a slight braze is the way to go. Warping and groovs are obvious but you'll find that if you don't turn the rotors, 99 out of a 100 times the rotors will have a very, very slight uneven wear and your brakes will give you nothing but issues. Remember, these vehicles are VERY heavy and if you brake hard, even once, it can cause the rotors to wear unevenly.

jrangel,

You probably just need some anti-squeek put on your braking system. You may have had some slight runout and the rotors should have been turned. If I were you, take it back to where you had the brake job done and have them turn the rotors. If it hasn't been too long, you should be fine. Very seldom does a brake job not need a turning of the rotors. If you look at your rotors and they shine, they SHOULD be turned. Not mandatory, but they really should.

Old 01-15-2004, 09:45 AM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
Only 42K miles on a '98...wow!

I'd say they put it to you, especially what they charged to turn them (most DIY shops charge $10 each to turn). Furthermore, many modern day mechanics don't recommend turning any more at all, especially considering how inexpensive new rotors are these days. I just replaced my front rotors with lifetime warranted Wagner parts for about the same price as you were charged to turn your rotors. Granted if Ford had used their new rotors, it probably would have cost $300.

I do agree with others saying the 3mm theory/policy is bogus.

Old 01-15-2004, 11:26 AM
southprk
Senior User
I think brand new rear rotors from napa are like $20 ...

Old 01-15-2004, 03:06 PM
ineedashot
Senior User
Dealers will just give it to you... a big bill $$$ I mean.
I recommend a search in this forum for future projects, a six pack of your favorite beer, a nice sunny day and do it yourself the next time! ;-)

Old 01-15-2004, 06:42 PM
the4by4freek
Posting Guru
If the brake pedal wasn't pulsating when the brakes were applied.... and it was stopping fine I would say no to turning rotors. I don't care what the thickness of your brake pads were... I have seen brand new pads warp rotors. Heat causes rotors to warp and you will definately notice if they are warped! I think they took you for 80+$$$$$ Sorry to hear that. Like mentioned above... a six pack and a nice sunny day or a heated garage and a few tools you could change them yourself, take the extra $$ and buy toys for your truck!

Old 01-16-2004, 09:52 AM
kodakker
Junior User
Over the years, nearyl anytime I replaced the pads without turning or replacing the rotors I picked up a vibartion.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:20 AM
jswanberg10
Senior User
kodakker,

You know metal on metal causes heat which causes warping. I've changed the brakes front and back one time on my Exp, used ceramic pads and have no issues at all with vibration or anything for that matter.

Old 01-16-2004, 10:53 AM
kodakker
Junior User
I may try that. How is the brake dust with the ceramics. My 02 is not as bad as the new ones, but still aggravating.

Thanks

Old 01-17-2004, 11:28 AM
wrm
New User
Warped rotors? Rotors do not warp. It's uneven wear on the on rotor from the pad sticking to it or a crack in the rotor. If you are easy on the brakes then you will probably not need them turned. I almost always have mine turned b/c it's the right way to do a brake job. I'm also hard on the brakes and hard on the gas but my wife is not so her brakes are not as bad. Break-in is the most important part of a brake job. You must break them in them properly to get the most out of them and when you don't turn the rotors it's hard to do. When they get that warping feeling it's the pads heating to much and transfering/bonding from the pads to the rotor thus feeling like the rotors are warped. I have had alot of brake problems in the past until I learned more about them. I found this info by seaching and I drive a chevy truck so I'm on FSC.com alot and those guys showed me a site were this is in more detail. (I come here for info on my wife Expy. This the only Ford forum I look at now and have repaired alot of things and saved alot of $$. GREAT SITE!! Thinks alot.)

Quick Reply: Turn Rotors if Pads have 3mm?