Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

What does Ford have to worry about???

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 07:56 PM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What does Ford have to worry about???

Somebody once told me that the F-150 was the best selling vehicle- in the WORLD. Has anyone out there ever heard this? If so, have you seen it in print? It seems possible to me, since I see them everywhere I go. Every time I stop at a traffic light there is always another Ford also waiting. More often than not, it is a F-150.
So, the question remains: Does Ford need to worry about the Titan or the Tundra? Will they use the competition to continue to build better trucks? Won't true, blue Ford owners always come back- as long as the company continues to get better?

I'm not bashing the other guys, just curious.

STU

Old 01-11-2004, 08:13 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Well, when you look over at the person driving that F150. WHo is driving it? Is it a guy who has his tools and equipment in it, or is it a soccer mom/buisinessman driving to work/school?

Peeps who dont USE their trucks daily, will look at the other trucks, and maybe buy them. Peeps who USE their trucks daily, prolly wont.

I was in the local Pontiac stealership getting a thermostat for my Pontiac. They sell Nissans there,also. There were 4 couples there, waiting in line. To get a test drive in one of the 2 Titans they had on the lot. Imagine that, waiting in line for a test drive!

I, personally, am worried about Ford. They last few years, things have been rolling down hill. Look at the Focus and the 6.0, jsut to name 2.

If the new F150 isn't a hit, I'd say it a sure sign of trouble. I'm not real impressed with the F150, either. Seems to be designed for Soccer moms and weekend warriors. We'll see how the real working trucks last.

Last edited by fonefiddy; 01-11-2004 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2004, 08:21 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts
Here is the thing: The F-150 is the #1 selling motor vehicle on the planet. Period. BUT, if you combine the Chevrolet brand and the GMC brand, together they actually do barely outsell the F-150.

Understand? One on one, nothing can touch the Ford. But if you put both the GM brands together, the result is that GM actually does sell more trucks. And that, my friend, is what Ford has to worry about.

Old 01-11-2004, 08:29 PM
SuperDutyHaulin
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my Ford, however, Ford better up the ante if they want to keep their customers. I dont really like the Titan, but they do have some really cool features.

Old 01-11-2004, 08:33 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
There's rumors floating around about Fords sales #'s

Some are saying that GM calculates their #'s different than Ford. They're saying Ford includes fleet sales and GM doesn't.

I dunno????

Old 01-12-2004, 02:34 AM
sinister73
Elder User
Well truth be told, I would not buy either the Titan or the 04' F150

No Titan because I am biased against Japanese trucks- this dos'ent need to make sense to anyone, it's just the way I am-plain and simple. Plus it's butt ugly.

The new F150 does not come with a manual transmission, and even if it did, it would probably be the same weak Mazda they use in the Heritage model. Add to this the fact that the F150 interior simply looks to foreign /SUV like for my tastes.

The F150 looks good from the front but has a butt ugly azz end on it, though I am really impressed with the new frame and suspension it has.

Combine GMC and Chevrolet brands together, and GM does out sell Ford by a slight margin as WXBoy has stated- not just the F150- all Ford trucks.

I like GM trucks-they've been good to me.

I have known for awhile what WXBoy has stated he and his pops are finding out now- Dodge trucks work hard. Remember-it's not just that Cummins engine thats gone 60,000 miles+ without a hickup- it's the whole truck- and that truck is a Dodge.

My next truck will be a new F350 XL SRW with V10 and 6 speed-
this truck makes the most sense for me because I want a powerful gasoline engine(not in the market for a Cummins- the only diesel I would even consider) and I do like the SD trucks a bit more than the Chev's with 8.1L.

The new F150 wont give Ford near the market share people think-not without a true worktruck pkg, with a decent manual transmission and diesel option. I don't expect either-especially not a decent granny gear manual tranny(F150)- your more likely to see a truck with rocket boosters than one of those nowadays

Old 01-12-2004, 03:59 AM
borderman
Senior User
I work for the federal govt and here at work our fleet vehicles are a mixture of mostly Fords and GMs. We have a 4x4 Expedition, F250 light duty pickup, 3 Aerostar vans, a new Explorer 4x4 , and we recently got 2 new GM fifteen passenger vans a Jeep liberty, and a couple of Tauruses. I think in fleet sales at least with the feds Ford seems to have an edge over GM. My counterparts in the Border Patrol use mostly Expeditions, but also GM and a few Dodge products.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:36 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

These are all very good points. As far as standing in line to take a test drive, I think maybe they were just caught up in the excitement- the first ones to drive the new Nissan!! I am anxious to see the sales figures for the Titan, though. They will probably sell very well at first, 'cause it's the next big thing, that's all. How many people have you met that said they would never go back to Ford after driving the new Tundra or Titan? As for who's driving the vehicles at the stop light, it's a variety of folks (and a variety of Fords- not just p/u trucks). Alot of guys that look like they are going to work, yes, but not necessarily "company vehicles."

Old 01-12-2004, 08:16 AM
grizz5675
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its all in the numbers ford does not have to release numbers to anyone except the IRS , not to dis anyone but it gives me cause to wonder how many people think they know how many vehicles any dealership is selling .

Old 01-12-2004, 08:24 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
I dont know how the numbes are calculated, but I do know that a LOT of ford trucks are bought by bean counters. Who sit behind a desk and never use the vehicles. Not that thats good or bad. They just know they need X number of new trucks and the paper work is there with Fords name allready on it. Kudo's to Ford for getting them and keeping them.

Yo GRizz, where you live, dood?

Old 01-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
From the newest sales numbers Ford is doing great and I hope it keeps up!

Old 01-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,353 Likes on 1,112 Posts
From the latest sales numbers Ford F150 is doing great and I hope it keeps up! Nice trucks with the latest design and features, such as the easy lift tailgate and interior lay out. Hope the outhers don`t catch up to fast.

Old 01-13-2004, 12:26 AM
hoxiii
Postmaster
My dad was looking into getting a 1/2 ton truck for hunting/fishing/camping and went to look at the new F-150's. In order to get what he wanted they said he either had to go with a ranger or a super duty, neither of which is what he needed. He wanted no carpet, only floor mats, a vinyl bench seat, crank windows, manual locks, 4 wheel drive, manual hubs, and a stick. Either he would have had to get too small of a truck or spend way more money on too large of a truck. He passed on the ford, told them exactly why, and said he would never buy another new Ford product until he could get what he wanted in a half ton truck. He walked across the street and bought a Nissan Xterra exactly how he wanted it except for the manual hubs.

They need to bring back the good old days of being able to get a truck EXACTLY how you wanted it. Last truck he bought new was an '85 suburban "1500" with complete vinyl interior, no power anything. That thing was rated to tow 19,000 lbs and had a GVRW high enough to be emissions exempt (all in a "half ton" truck) It had 4.11's, a 300 hp 350, no cats, a TH400, NP 205, full floating 14 bolt rear, and a D60 front axle (plus quad shocks from the factory). It was basically a 1 ton heavy duty with 1/2 ton badging. He started with a "1500" but after adding the towing packages he wanted and all that stuff, it became more than the 1500 frame could handle so they sold him a rebadged 1 ton at the 1/2 ton price. Now THAT THERE is customer service.

Justin

Last edited by hoxiii; 01-13-2004 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:53 PM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Sounds like that Suburban would be like a Super Duty to me. Last I heard, a F-150 XL had every thing you're talking about but the manual hubs and manual transmission.

How can a F-250 be "too much" of a truck? He could have gotten a XL Longbed 4x4 manual trans/hubs. Around here a basic 5.4 F-250 XL 4x4 like your father was looking for is around $23,000, with tow pkg and trailer brakes. To me, that is just a hair above a F-150 with the 5.4L.

Old 01-19-2004, 09:17 PM
sinister73
Elder User
Posted by MWF250;

How can a F-250 be "too much" of a truck? He could have gotten a XL Longbed 4x4 manual trans/hubs. Around here a basic 5.4 F-250 XL 4x4 like your father was looking for is around $23,000, with tow pkg and trailer brakes. To me, that is just a hair above a F-150 with the 5.4L.

I absolutely agree with you here guy- no doubt the F250 is a better buy than the 150- all things considered. Ford was just being outright ignorant by not offering a manual trans in the half ton though- even if it was the same weak Mazda M5OD. I will leave my opinions about jap trucks out of this, but suffice to say the only way I'd EVER buy a new F150 now, is if the only alternative was a jap truck.

Quick Reply: What does Ford have to worry about???