2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering a new F150 - need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 05:15 PM
jdmclemore
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering a new F150 - need advice!

I've made up my mind that I'll be purchasing a 2005 F150 when they come out (It'll be hard waiting that long, but it's necessary).

My question is about ordering a specific truck, like many have done here with their 2004s, as opposed to taking what the dealer has on the lot. I plan on putting a BIG chunk of change down on this vehicle and want to get exactly what I want. Is there a "cut-off" point (a specific date) for making these special orders?

I ask because the last vehicle we bought (2001 Pathfinder) we bought in March of 2001, and it seemed like the dealer really had to hunt for one from other local dealers in the color we wanted. I wonder if I could have special ordered one?

Also, by making a special order, should you be paying any more than normal?

I appreciate you sharing any of your personal experiences.

Thanks,
James
(Future F-150 owner)

Old 01-11-2004, 08:04 PM
MEL-JR
New User
You can build exactly what you want on the Ford website. Once complete the website will do an inventory search of all the Ford dealers near you. If it does not find exactly what you want it will list the nearest matches. I was very impresed with how helpful the Ford website was in helping me locate exactly what I wanted.

After I found a dealer with what I wanted I rebuilt the truck on the Edmunds website to calculate a fair price. I did most of my legwork and haggling for my new truck via emails. It was alot less stressful for me doing all the negotiating via emails.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoy mine.

2004 F-150 Supercab Lariat

Old 01-11-2004, 10:27 PM
garyF150
Freshman User
No you should never pay more for special orders.

If you trade, though, the dealer will likely give you less for yours because he must speculate on its future value, a very uncertain thing in today's market.

Also, any rebates on ordered items will be those in effect on the day of delivey, not the day of order - so you are speculating, too.

I have bought three that my dealer transferred from other dealers, and I got the truck I wanted each time. This year, my dealer, Cedartown Ford-Mercury, got mine from a dealer 100 miles away. I paid what I usually pay to trade.

Also, you can go to Ford's website, locate the dealers nearest you, and browse their inventories with reasonable accuracy. Options and colors aren't that many, so finding your truck should be fairly easy when you're ready. And you're gonna love the new F150

Old 01-13-2004, 03:13 PM
jdmclemore
Senior User
Good points, garyF150 - thank you.

So I guess most of you that ordered a truck to be built from Ford, did this because there wasn't one available in your area?

And again - anybody know when Ford would STOP taking special orders? Or is this something you should be able to do all year?

Thanks!