3.00, but not really?

Old 01-12-2004, 09:16 AM
flyhound
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.00, but not really?

I have a few misc. questoins on there about gear ratios.

I have an 89 f250 with rear axle code 29. This is a 3.55, correct?
I have a 78 f 250 with rear axle code 22. This is a 3.07, correct?
- I crawled under both f 250 to look at tag but it was to rusty to read. But those are the codes on the doors and both rear ends are original.

I also have a 79 f 150 with a read axle code 14. This is a 3.00, correct? I am pretty sure it is. I jacked her up and crawled under her today and i can make out the 00 part on the tag. The rest is pretty rusty.

While i was under her I decided to spin the driveshaft to see if it was really a 3.00:1. If my common sense was right the drive shaft should make 3 rev to every 1 tire rev. Correct? The thing is it didn't. It was more like a 1.66:1 ratio. The reason i use 1.66 is because the driveshaft would only make about 1 2/3 rev for every one tire rev. How can this be? Anyone know? I am positive I did it right?

Also how much play should there be in the driveshaft? It seemed like i could turn it a way before i could feel the resistance and the tire started to turn. If you do they aren't both tires suppose to turn in opposite directions? they didn't. One spun while the other didn't move. Also why is it when you spin the driveshaft by hand the tires spin, but when you spin the tire by hand the driveshaft doesn't move? Does both tires being off the ground have something to do with this?

flyhound

Search this Thread