Aerostar Ford Aerostar

How to tell if I have Premium sound system?

Old 01-10-2004, 01:59 PM
Extreme_172001
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to tell if I have Premium sound system?

I have a 95 Aerostar and was wondering how i can tell if I have the optional premium sound system or not. I have a casette player and radio as well as rear controls for the rear passanger. The stock radio display went out and I want to replace it with an aftermarket CD player. My second question is how do i remove the stock radio? Thanks

Old 01-10-2004, 08:00 PM
aerostarman2002
Senior User
Well, that is difficult to say.

I don't know of a sure way to tell if you have the premium sound system or not.

However, I have been working with sound systems for a few years now, and have picked up some good info over that time. I installed an aftermarket cdplayer in my Aerostar.. Wasn't all that hard. After install see if the sound cracks, if so you will have to run new speaker wires to your speakers. I think a few other people know how to disable the factory amp so that you can ise the factory wiring.

To get the old radio out you can a) go to almost any parts store and buy the removal tool for like 5dollars. or b) take it to a ford dealer, they removed mine free, in two different vehicles.

To install the new one you need to buy a wiring harness adapter to connect to your factory wiring harness. theese are usually around ten dollars, and the easiest place to find one would be walmart. If you order from crutchfield they will supply all the stuff you need for free.

We bought radio, 2 4" dash speakers, 2 Pioneer 6x9's for the rears, and 2 bass blockers for the dash. Came from crutchfield with the brackets to install the dash speakers (which will be VERY hard to find ANYWHERE else, I know form expierience), plus it came with the wiring adapter.

After we hooked everything up we ran into a problem, the factory amplifier was being over powered by the high out-put of the new cdplayer, and was distorting the sound. We found that the easiest solution was to run new speaker wire to the speakers.

Hopefully this will get you started...
If you need any more help post.

-Mike-

Old 01-10-2004, 10:03 PM
Extreme_172001
New User
Thanks a lot for all the info so quickly

Old 01-11-2004, 07:58 PM
rlmdad
Senior User
The premium sound system may or may not have the graphic equalizer located below the radio. If you have a graphic equalizer, then you have a premium sound system.

The premium sound system includes a factory amplifier for the rear speakers. This amplifier may be located behind the dash below the radio, or in the back of the van behind the passengers side trim. If you have this amplifier, then you have a premium sound system.

Finally, the premium sound system includes a passenger control panel located in the side trim panel directly behind the driver's seat. This control panel includes separate plug-in jacks for passenger headphones (2) with separate volume controls, seek up/down buttons, a memory seek switch, and a speaker switch to enable/disable the rear speakers. If your van has the rear seat audio controls, then you have the premium sound system.

Many posts here indicate that in changing the main unit in a van with the premium sound system it is necessary to eliminate the factory amplifier for the rear speakers and run new speaker wire to the rear speakers to get the best results. I have heard of an adapter that will allow you to still use the factory wiring and existing amplifier, but I haven't used it myself. I can't locate my notes on where I found this, but will search some more if you are interested.

Ron

Old 01-12-2004, 09:30 AM
JeffMasonCO
Junior User
I ahve found a few places that sell an amplifer bypass setup, including the link below. I am thinking about buying one as the rear speakers in my Aerostar are not putting out as much as the front speakers. I am assuming that a bypass may correct that problem. I just did a Google search on 'ford amplifier bypass'.

On my 96 Aerostar, the factory amp is located under the radio (a couple of inches below, not directly attached to the radio.)

By the way, my 1993 Aerostar had a 6-speaker setup, with two in the rear hatch. My 1996 just has a 4 speaker setup, with nothing in the way back. Is this a design change that Ford made????

Aerostar wiring site

Old 01-12-2004, 09:46 AM
JeffMasonCO
Junior User
Found another link. It's specific to PRobes, but has good info on the factory amp and the wiring harness to bypass...

By the way, if I understand things right, the amplifier bypass just basically plugs into the amp input (speaker wires coming from the head unit) and then right back out to the amp output (The wires going to the speakers). If it works that way, isn't that effectively the same as running new wires to the speakers themselves? (I just don't feel like running new wires, if this accomplishes the same thing for under $20.....)