2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying from one dealer-getting serviced at another.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 11:34 AM
paradox0430
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying from one dealer-getting serviced at another.

I want to purchase a 2004 F-150 Lariat and I am soooo excited about it. I went to a dealer in New Milford and really like the guy I spoke with - he was pleasant, not at all pushy, informative and I just got a good feeling from him and would love to give him the business. However, I have heard several stories about this dealer's service center being less then efficient, friendly, or helpful. If you purchase a car or truck from a particular dealer, is there any advantage or benefit to visiting that dealer for service or maintenance issues? Perhaps, it doesn't matter where I go for service, but I just want to make sure. This is only my second new vehicle purchase in 11 years and I'm doing my research. Thanks!

Old 01-10-2004, 12:05 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford says that your warranty is good at ANY Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealer, regardless of where you purchased it. As to any "advantage" of having it serviced at the dealer you purchased it from, there can only be one that I can think of: "preferred customer" perks. You know, buy it here and we'll give you free lifetime oil changes, preferred scheduling, free loaners, etc... Of course, if their service department sucks, why would ANYONE want to have it serviced there, regardless of the perks? Take it to some other dealer, and they may make you wait for a service appt, or even refuse to service the vehicle altogether. That's contrary to Ford's standards and they're putting their franchise in jeopardy by refusing people service, but some dealers do it anyway.

Old 01-12-2004, 07:59 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Some dealers will just do the minimum they can get by with when servicing a vehicle purchased at another dealer. I have had dealings with one that thought they were being sneaky by writing a little NOD in the upper corner of the work order as a signal to the mechanics to do sloppy minimal work and price gouge.

The same thing happens when you buy off the internet or at another dealer and have a truck delivered to a local dealer etc.

Old 01-12-2004, 08:16 PM
03f150man
Elder User
suppose you experience a problem at 38,000 miles when the vehicle is just past factory warranty. if you have your vehicle serviced where you purchased it, or at least take the vehicle to where you purchased it for any required warranty work, you have improved your chances of getting the selling dealer to help you with an "after warranty" adjustment i.e. they might cut you some slack on the repair needed at 38,000 miles. however, i still buy my new vehicles where i can get the best purchase price.

Old 01-18-2004, 11:42 AM
OTHG_MIKE
Junior User
service dealer

I for one have never purchased my Ford from the dealer that I go to for service. Every time I go to the service counter they ask why I didn't buy from them I'm honest and tell them that I always seem to get a better deal elsewhere. The service manager usually smiles and says I've herd that a lot. I have received the best service from this dealer. I can't compliment them enough and they always go out of their way to make me happy. So I wouldn't worry too much about getting service , they may think that its a good opportunity to win your business on the next purchase

Old 01-19-2004, 08:34 PM
J. E. Ray
Senior User
How would a dealer know if you bought the truck from them. Unless you told them.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:30 AM
bcjim
Posting Guru
They know. Either from the sticker/plate bracket from the other dealer, or Im sure the computer tells them.

I agree that some dealers do treat buying customers better. I try not to go to another dealer if I can help it. Now if the two dealers in question are nowhere near each other then I wouldnt worry about it, but if local competition is involved, you never know what might happen..

Old 01-21-2004, 11:26 AM
propellerhead
Senior User
I've experienced better service from Texas Motors Ford in Fort Worth than the dealer from which I bought the truck.

Old 01-23-2004, 06:19 AM
J. E. Ray
Senior User
When I took my truck to get a gas cap replaced. The first question they asked was " did you buy the truck from us". So you might be on to something here.

Old 01-23-2004, 08:14 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always find myself saying, "all dealers are different, nothing's carved in stone, etc..." and here I go again. When I do that, I'm not trying to be evasive, just stating a fact: the only thing consistent in this business is the inconsistency. It's so rare that any one rule applies all the time. But you know what? One of the few consistincies is this: nearly every dealer operates their individual departments as separate businesses. Most service departments couldn't care less where you bought your vehicle, and they care even less about their own sales department. If you're there for service and they can make some money, everything else is secondary. Yes, some dealers want to take care of their "own" customers first, but they are the minority. I personally think this "separate department-separate business" is a stupid way of operating a dealership (talk about a lack of teamwork), but as I'm sure you can see by now, car sales & service is not known for its geniuses.

Last edited by 1956MarkII; 01-23-2004 at 08:18 AM.