Why do people hype over Cummins 5.9 there not that good. - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition

Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Why do people hype over Cummins 5.9 there not that good.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2007, 11:35 PM
New User

badboybilzer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs up whats the beef with ford deisels and cummins deisels

there is not a more durable and long lasting low maintenance engine than a cummins

been a ford guy all my life , im a master mechanic
i have worked on more deisels than most

want power buy powerstroke (7.3)
want boat anchor buy a 6.0 or a 6.4

12 valve 6b cummins are 180 hp average and will hual a 16,000 lbs
load up a 7.5 precent grade at 70 miles an hour with 3.50 rearend and still get 17 miles to the gallon

ford though they were a good idea and the scuttlebutt i hear is the cummins has been aquired by ford, but dalhmer/doge has a contract
negoations continue

the 24 valve 5.9 is fun to bump hp on but the bosh vf 44 is a pos and
non of my rebuilders will stand behind a bumped up vf 44 inj pump that has
over fuling signs

the o6-08 5.9 has limited hp boost

7.3 are the chevy 350 of deisels but they come at a price they are a inherantly unbalanced motor that is counter ballenced by internal and external balancing schema . that costs at the end. but a power stroke can
afford the price, as long as deisel fuel stays low

i just unloaded a 5.9 out of the back of my trailer to hot rod and stuff into my 77 1 ton when im thru i will log another million miles only this time
i wont be getting 8 mpg
Old 07-27-2007, 12:13 AM
Senior User

BigDaddy6969 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes the 5.9 IS the most durable low maintennance deisel on the road.

Yes the 7.3 PSD is a fine motor.

I dont think the 6.0 or 6.4 are crap, just kind of under achievers (dont flame me I own a '07 6.0).

As far as I know Cummins is unowned by Ford.

24v 5.9's are pretty nice but nothing beats the old 12ers.

There is no '08 5.9 available in Dodges.

EVERYTHING has hp boost limit.

Those are my thoughts on the subject.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:36 AM
New User

Thumbs up ford 6.0 6.4 boatingcus anchorus

from the first time i wrenched on a 6.0
i hated them
being that i am a master mechanic i have earned the right to apraise them as such to anyones chagrin

they nested the oil multiplyer under the rear of the valley and thats just the first
lowlife engenering fopaw
you have to remove the cab to pull a head , the retards at renault wouldent do that!
the glow plugs are in blind holes that require hodiini to access and they fall into the pan

speaking of the oil pan tray praying that sucka off to roll a set of berrings

then theres the problem of the standard international you have to buy a breakout box to any kind of timely troubleshooting and the harnesses are horrible on the 6.0

the head bolts are only numbered ten, to few and a common mistake for german engeneers, of a fact it was the same design team as the first triton motor. another good proof that germans will cave to coperate bosses who want a engine that must come back to the dealer for repair

american deisels have been wonderous to me i have been working on them since 1974 when i was 14 and before that i watched big daddy roth build cars
every day after school. i have seen the best and the worst and ford engines have failed of late like gm cars sucked in the 80's

ford is in talks with cat to put a cat motor in a ford truck and what ford dosent know is that is a bad choice new electronic cats are breaking cranks and they dont care to make them efficent

id put a dahlmer benz in my truck before a cat.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:47 AM
Postmaster

DOHCmarauder has a great reputation on FTE.DOHCmarauder has a great reputation on FTE.DOHCmarauder has a great reputation on FTE.DOHCmarauder has a great reputation on FTE.DOHCmarauder has a great reputation on FTE.
Must have been an outbreak of magic shrooms........and somebody dove right in!!!

"i hear is the cummins has been aquired by ford,"

" fact it was the same design team as the first triton motor."

"ford is in talks with cat to put a cat motor in a ford truck"

(unless you're talkin' medium duty.....and it's already been done)

[and why was this thread brought back from the dead???]
Old 07-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Posting Guru

RocketScience has a very good reputation on FTE.RocketScience has a very good reputation on FTE.RocketScience has a very good reputation on FTE.RocketScience has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboybilzer
there is not a more durable.........
[EDITED TO SAVE SPACE]
.......i wont be getting 8 mpg
Quote:
from the first time i wrenched.........
[EDITED TO SAVE SPACE]
.......dahlmer benz in my truck before a cat.
Dude, before we continue with the stimulating dialog, and for me to better understand you as a new User here at FTE, I'm curious...

Is your poor spelling and grammar due to one of the following?:

1. You are a foreigner.
2. You are dyslexic.
3. You do not use a 'spell-check'.
4. You failed miserably in your Language Art classes, as 'It just wasn't your thang.'
5. You are just lazy, and do not care to take the time to proofread your posts.
6. You don't care, as you believe most people understand your posts anyway.
7. All of the above.

As I said, just curious.

"Baserunning comes to the ballpark everyday, the three-run homer may not."
Frank Robinson

Last edited by RocketScience; 07-27-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Postmaster

DOHCmarauder has a great reputation on FTE.DOHCmarauder has a great reputation on FTE.DOHCmarauder has a great reputation on FTE.DOHCmarauder has a great reputation on FTE.DOHCmarauder has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketScience
Dude, before we continue with the stimulating dialog, and for me to better understand you as a new User here at FTE, I'm curious...

Is your poor spelling and grammar due to one of the following?:

1. You are a foreigner.
2. You are dyslexic.
3. You do not use a 'spell-check'.
4. You failed miserably in your Language Art classes, as 'It just wasn't your thang.'
5. You are just lazy, and do not care to take the time to proofread your posts.
6. You don't care, as you believe most people understand your posts anyway.
7. All of the above.

As I said, just curious.

Dude, I think it's just a fopaw that our new master deisel mechanic has a tough time with the written word.

Maybe to many years under the coperate berrings has led to trouble engeneering a sentence.

But hey, as long as Ford is negotiating with CAT AND Cummins concerning ownership/usership(?)........the guy knows waaaay more than the rest of us.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Posting Guru

SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.SMIGGS has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm still appalled that both my Triton motors were engineered by Germans!

I thought I bought American?

I was thinking badboy could be related to our good friend 93Ranger. I wonder where he's been? Maybe locked himself in his "beast" or becoming a Master Diesel Mechanic.
2000 Excursion Limited - 7.3 Diesel - Mine
2005 Freestar Sport - The wife's
Old 07-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
I'm still appalled that both my Triton motors were engineered by Germans!.
Not only German engeneeeres, but German DEISEL engeneresss. (Or did the Triton team get hired by Navistar for the 6.0 ........or maybe the Modular team was hired by Navistar and then got hired back by Ford to do the Tritons???............or maybe when Ford bought Cummins they used those enjenerers to design the CAT motor???)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
I was thinking badboy could be related to our good friend 93Ranger. I wonder where he's been? Maybe locked himself in his "beast" or becoming a Master Diesel Mechanic.

Dude, get it WRITE, it's master DEISEL mechanic!!!

(e before i when used before s)
Old 07-28-2007, 04:58 PM
New User

Thumbs up spelling ***** and asme hacks

i would be the first to admit i dont edit and spell check hardly anything
bad chat habits die hard

furthermore a long history of reading tech manuals dosent make your speller funtion according to hoyle.

what amuses me is the spelling ***** come out of the wood work and laud thier spelling prowness

oh you got a bigger speller than i do , your a real man
but then again not
i have spent the last 61/2 years at a 7 man deisel shop
i am lead
im the guy who can tear anything apart without a manual
im the guy who takes brains apart
im the guy who helps the techs gt the ambulances running
i help the heavy line and tractor department
i do the railroad trucks and hydrocranes
i do the gears in graders while they are still in the graders and i watch the
little guys and teach the new kinds

and i do it with a smile,

while your blowing your own horn realize that i have a secratary to spell check and bill for me and a cpa to chec the numbers

so i might be a spelling midget, but that dosent make you a knowledgeable or better mechanic than me

that means you use cheap shots as a measure of your manhood
come one down to sturgis and see if they make you king

you get my vote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Posting Guru

RocketScience has a very good reputation on FTE.RocketScience has a very good reputation on FTE.RocketScience has a very good reputation on FTE.RocketScience has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
.....that means you use cheap shots as a measure of your manhood.....
Dude, chill out.....my question was an honest one.

This is a technical forum, with technical speak (most the time). It is hard to take one seriously (if not a foreigner or have some physical disability), when a person attemping to discuss/debate given issues, barely has a grasp of the English language.

Think about it (example); How could we take some professional mechanic seriously when discussing the inner workings of an Injector Pump, when he can't even spell Injector Pump?

Get my drift?

So, if you want to be taken seriously (with this crowd) in this forum, my advice would be to take one minute of your time and do a little proof reading. You don't have to be a literary genius, but anything would help.

Frank Robinson

Last edited by RocketScience; 07-28-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Junior User

flashman1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketScience
Dude, chill out.....my question was an honest one.

This is a technical forum, with technical speak (most the time). It is hard to take one seriously (if not a foreigner or have some physical disability), when a person attemping to discuss/debate given issues, barely has a grasp of the English language.

Think about it (example); How could we take some professional mechanic seriously when discussing the inner workings of an Injector Pump, when he can't even spell Injector Pump?

Get my drift?

So, if you want to be taken seriously (with this crowd) in this forum, my advice would be to take one minute of your time and do a little proof reading. You don't have to be a literary genius, but anything would help.
Heh - don't attack the poster.

I am an engineering manager and let me tell you - many engineers have problems spelling.

This is not an English class.

He pointed out many design problems with the 6.0 that most novices would not know, and I for one am interested in!

Old 07-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Post Fiend

bf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to beholdbf250 is a splendid one to behold
i agree, though i don't beleive some of the stuff he said, spelling may not be very many peoples strong points.

my dad is like that, heck, when i was a kid before all this computer stuff came out, i use to spell check his job reports for him. he knows his engineering but can not spell worth the darn.

plus, i am like this, to me fte is very informal, i prove i can spell every day in college and every day when in the Navy when i wrote hundreds of messages to transmit, i don't need to do it here, fte is my relax time to be sloppy and lazy and to entertain my self.

but then i can take the others side also, when someone is pushing there background onto a crowd, especially when the person is new to everyone, and they are using their background as a source for their argument, i beleive it would be best to at least spell some basic things right, especially if it is things you supposedly deal with on a daily basis.

ford trucks i have previously owned
1972 f250 1989 f250
1995 f350 2004 f250
2006 f250

will get a truck again!
Old 07-29-2007, 12:53 AM
Postmaster

Actually, I'm guilty as charged about jumping on the spelling **** bandwagon....but that was NOT my original source of amusement.

The stuff you spew about Ford buying Cummins and Ford using CAT (in light duty trucks) and MOD motors (Tritons) being designed by the same crew that designed the 6.0 PSD really gives me paws(sic).

I don't believe ANYONE here has questioned the mechanical ability you are so proud of....but the "rumors" you have posted sure make people wonder if maybe the shop you work at needs better ventilation.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:56 AM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
as dohc says, it has been hashed over many many times on this site that
#1: ford does not own cummins, they sold back their 10% share of stock in the early 90's.
#2: Caterpillar has said many many times it wants nothing to do with the light duty truck market, and will not build an engine for the light truck market.
#3: the ford mod engines and the navistar diesel engines are completely different animals, and were not designed by the same engineering firm or company's.
#4: the number of problems with 6.0 engines compared to the number of 6.0 engines produced is minimal.

you don't hear about the 1 million+ happy 6.0 engine owners, you only hear about the people that are unhappy with them. and most of the complaints are minor.
yes, there were some with bad oil pumps, and there were some with bad cranks, but most of the problems with the 6.0 can be solved by simply re-flashing the computer.

no one doubts your ability as a mechanic, but with so few posts, the information you come on here stating as truth or facts is just plain wrong. this leads one to believe you
A: don't know what you are talking about, or
B: you are a troll trying to start something, or
C: someone is feeding you bad information, and you repeated it.

i hope in your case the answer to this statement is C

i always give new users the benefit of doubt, and let them get to know the site and its rules before making a decision on their intentions, and will do the same with you.
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.

Last edited by tjc transport; 07-29-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman1
....I am an engineering manager and let me tell you - many engineers have problems spelling.....
So being a "manager" of "engineers", could it be assumed you have at least a Masters or PHD in this field?.....wow.

I was two years out from PE status (Construction Management). I can say that in my tenure in the engineering world, I have rarely experienced the spelling problems with text structured to convey information (such as here) that you have described...but hey, maybe it's just a regional thang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashman1
....He pointed out many design problems with the 6.0 that most novices would not know, and I for one am interested in!....
He also posted misinformation easily disputed via info found on the internet (see DOHC's post above). Sorry, but; misinformation + a lackadaisy attitude regarding grammar = the raising of the credibility flag for me.

Frank Robinson