Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-2004, 07:01 PM
Posting Guru

MW95F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally posted by otto
Chrysler uses them in them in the gas engines, you a cummins fan or a dodge fan ? It all comes back to the same statement, dodge drivers bought a motor, the rest of the truck doesnt matter
Right, my father learned about Dodges the hard way only a month after he bought it new.

John Deere Ag, CCE, and CF Certified Technician
Kohler Certified Expert Technician
Old 01-14-2004, 08:33 PM
Posting Guru

WXboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Exactly, and if you have a great truck, but the engine is terrible like the new 6.0 PSD, then the whole truck is useless. Ironic, huh?
Old 01-14-2004, 08:45 PM
Posting Guru

otto is starting off with a positive reputation.
alot of happy 6.0 users out there, and everyone that bought one knew what they were getting into b4 they purchased, they had to have it, hey im not mad GM is the only automaker that can do a first new model year that doesnt die a dozen times the first year

I bet 75% of 6.0 users scoured the net about specs b4 buying if they didnt see the writing on the wall its their fault, I guess ford and dodge suck they both have problems all the time, duramax went off without a hitch, the alli is great the motor is tight

Message here for durability, reliability and abuse taking buy one from the General, Detroits Finest
Old 01-14-2004, 08:49 PM
Posting Guru

MW95F250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally posted by WXboy
Exactly, and if you have a great truck, but the engine is terrible like the new 6.0 PSD, then the whole truck is useless. Ironic, huh?
Most everybody I've talked to that has a 6.0L has had no problems, and there were only 2 that did, and the injector change (warranty covered, dealer handled it no questions asked) solved their minor black smoke issues.

Plus the only ones that complain are the ones who have problems.

I have seen a few Cummins lose the whole fan/pulley assembly before on a Dodge, I was riding in one when it happened, they are not the high and mighty that you think they are. Heck, the warranty did not cover the repairs on it either. And the 6.0L is not as bad as you think.

John Deere Ag, CCE, and CF Certified Technician
Kohler Certified Expert Technician

Last edited by MW95F250; 01-14-2004 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:54 PM
Posting Guru

I would never buy a diesel for personal use anyway, half the guys here dont haul anything in their anyway
Old 01-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Elder User

Lectrocuted is starting off with a positive reputation.
I run into 4 people everyday I work with that have had their trucks bought back by FMC. Not very encouraging. And a bunch more who wouldn't buy one if it was the only diesel available in a truck period. What percentage of 6.0's in super duties have 50,000 let alone 100,000 miles. Counting chickens before.....?

I'll take a forged or billet rod over p.m. Most after market rods in the gasser world are forged steel or billet.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Senior User

3speed is starting off with a positive reputation.
"Why do people hype over Cummins 5.9 there not that good."

325HP/600ft-lbs is nothing to ignore in a diesel pickup. The hp and torque goes up each year on the same basic platform. They may not be the best engine in the world (if you look at all diesels) but they are as good as anything else offered in a pickup.

In all, Cummins does a good job of making sure the 5.9 works well. Who cares about popular numbers when it comes to sales volume. It is silly to think for a minute the Cummins 5.9 platform is an inferior diesel engine when it is proven, powerful, withstands enormous upgrades, and is generally more reliable than others...with exceptions of course like everyone.

When I went to Scheids Diesel extravaganza last year...there were hundreds of truck. Lots of Fords and Dodges. The Dodges were consistently pegging the dyno without much trouble. There were a couple PSD's that went high too.

In the truck pulls, the little 5.9's made all the smoke and pulled harder than anthing else. I like the PSD's and Duramax diesels too. They are all good engines in my opinion and all have various pluses and minuses.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:08 AM
Posting Guru

jrs_big_ford_f150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
what that picture fails to mention is that ford rod is made of powdered sintered metal and is stronger than a forging, so its high tensile strenght than the cummins and has quite a bit less rotating mass,

Less rotating mass??? The crankshaft wieghs twice as much than the Powerstroke or Duramax. It wieghs in near 175 pounds. Thats a lot of rotating mass there.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:45 AM
New User

Firescooby is starting off with a positive reputation.
The Cummins is rated as "medium-heavy duty"

Powerstroke & Duremax are rated as "light heavy duty"

This rating is from EPA. This designation is a non-biased rating that regards the engines durability and life expectancy.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Senior User

TowinBob is starting off with a positive reputation.
All the hype is because people think that if their truck says "Cummins" on the fender they have a semi. I once heard a Dodge owner say "I hope he doesn't back in to that "BIG TRUCK" out there." Refering to a 2wd Ram 2500 std cab and unloaded at that.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:47 PM
Posting Guru

WXboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
alot of happy 6.0 users out there, and everyone that bought one knew what they were getting into b4 they purchased, they had to have it, hey im not mad GM is the only automaker that can do a first new model year that doesnt die a dozen times the first year

I bet 75% of 6.0 users scoured the net about specs b4 buying if they didnt see the writing on the wall its their fault, I guess ford and dodge suck they both have problems all the time, duramax went off without a hitch, the alli is great the motor is tight

Message here for durability, reliability and abuse taking buy one from the General, Detroits Finest

Well here is my good laugh for the night. Everything in this post is absolutely ridiculous. Heck, GM can't even get their 5th year vehicles right, much less the first year models. And apparently no one told you about all the issues GM had with the Durajunk/Allison combo. when it first came out. I'm not even going to begin correcting this post...
Old 01-15-2004, 07:05 PM
Posting Guru

What issues ? what 5th year model problems ?
Old 01-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Elder User

MJD is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think that Dodge and Chevy both seem to be better about making reliable first year products than Ford. As far as the Duramax is concerned, I have not heard of any widespread problems. The transmissions had a few small problems but nothing serious. First year model Fords seem to have quite a few problems, depending on what they are. The 6.0s were probably troublesome because Ford introduced them to the public before they could be sufficiently tested for problems.

1986 F-250 ex cab 4X4. 460 4-speed manual

2004 Dodge Cummins
Old 01-15-2004, 09:59 PM
Posting Guru

I wonder if its is the reason Ford is going to use a GM HYdra Matic designed 6 speed automatic transaxle coming soon oh wait saving money on develpoing their own put more money in their pockets, I see where this went now

It otay Billy boy, the general used a rice designed diesel

Last edited by otto; 01-15-2004 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Elder User

Lectrocuted is starting off with a positive reputation.
Go to the 6.0 forum. I'm not willing to drop 40k to be a guinea pig for Ford. It's 2004, not 1904.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:46 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition

Tags
1993, 220, 59, cubic, cumins, cummings, cummins, cutaway, displacement, f250, grid, heater, inche, love, maintenance, overhaul, people