6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Oct. and Newer '04s

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 11:49 AM
strandshooter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oct. and Newer '04s

I'm curious as to how people are doing with the new 6.0s built after September. My '03 (BD 12/18/02) has been in the shop for a month now and they can't figure out what's wrong. BTW, I was in there yesterday and they have now replaced all the injectors and the old ones were etched with a 95 number. Hmmm.

Old 01-10-2004, 02:56 PM
strandshooter
New User
Hello,

Anybody out there or should I assume that all the new 04's are problem.

Old 01-10-2004, 04:10 PM
4x4Mark
Senior User
No problems to date. Romps a little below freezing if I forget to plug it in. No stains, smooth acceleration, and no drone. I'm very pleased so far. about 13.5 mpg commuting, 17-18 hwy @ 75

Mark

Old 01-10-2004, 04:52 PM
F250Wheels
Elder User
My 04, build date 9-15-03, runs great only flaw is romp once in a while when cold. Milage is good but I think it should do better, best to date is 16.5

Old 01-10-2004, 05:50 PM
grnacres
Freshman User
My 04 with 11/04 build date runs great.

Old 01-11-2004, 08:59 AM
bnscott2
New User
I think my build date is late October '03 -- I've had the truck now for 2 weeks -- poor mileage with just 'round down driving ( ~12mpg ) now on the second tank. Dealer tells me "it'll get better" -- I'm not towing anything and not driving it too hard -- just normal 'round town kind of stuff.

It was at the dealer Friday. Periodically when starting from a dead stop, it has significantly less power, kind of like it's starting from 2nd gear or something, then when it promptly shifts to 2nd -- it feels like the motor cuts out momentarily --- the other shift points feel normal -- of course the dealer couldn't duplicate the problem in their 20 miles of driving it around. So nothing was done.

Not too worried about that, (at this point ) but yesterday just toolin' around with my kids in the truck -- it completely quits on me....all the dash lights flashed on...clickety click...and the truck quit......I coasted to the side of the road....turned the key off....tried to start again --- it started and promptly died again....On the 2nd start attempt it stayed running and didn't act funny the rest of the way home....

Anyone else experience this? I can't afford to keep this truck at the dealer for them to do nothing....any suggestions?

Old 01-11-2004, 12:04 PM
strandshooter
New User
I read this in another thread "Dealer buyback" in this forum. I am in the process and wished that I had known this. When I go back and read the work orders it doesn't really reflect what I said and I believe that they try not to have it show the same symptoms repeatedly in order to avoid lemon law claims.

"I would strongly suggest that when one takes their truck into having something check, just after the service writer finishes inputing your comments into the computer --- stop him and actually read from the computer screen, prior to his printing it out, what he wrote. If it is not exactly as you said --- have him rewrite it, in your words. Keep in mind this document, which will be printed out for you to sign, is a contract. You have every right to insure that the terminology used, is in fact your words and comments, not the service writer's. Taking and insuring these steps, will cover your $%& every time. Should the service writer say, "it's just a work order", then: "Then there is no need for me to sign it ???" It's a contract. "If its going to have my signature on it ---- use MY words."

Old 01-11-2004, 12:13 PM
"Luke" SdeS
Elder User
Work orders = ARE CONTRACTS

Fm StrandShooter
When I go back and read the work orders it doesn't really reflect what I said and I believe that they try not to have it show the same symptoms repeatedly in order to avoid lemon law claims.....
It is for that reason I stress that when one takes their truck in for any work on it, that prior to the service writer printing out the work order from his computer screen--have him stop and allow you to read what was written--have him change any wording that is not yours. You don't want him to interpret what youve said and posting it in his wording
Whether it is intentional, one truly can't say, but it's your contract with them to do the work--the explanation of what is wrong should be in your words. The service writer always add his own comments in interpretation, but the actual explanation of the problems should always be in your quotes.

Just a thought.......my perception.....

Last edited by "Luke" SdeS; 01-11-2004 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:15 PM
khitch710`
Senior User
Thumbs up

Motor built 10/09/03...runs like a scalded dog...getting about 17.5 mpg....only problem to date is a bad belt tensioner at 2700 miles...have 4100 miles now and it appears it is going out again...will take to dealer later this week....I am very happy with this truck.....

Old 01-11-2004, 02:50 PM
LasVegas F250
Senior User
04/04 build date 10-23-2003 1800 miles truck runs great. Going to shop tomorrow for oil leak under truck. I am very pleased with this truck.

Old 01-11-2004, 03:04 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by strandshooter
I read this in another thread "Dealer buyback" in this forum. I am in the process and wished that I had known this. When I go back and read the work orders it doesn't really reflect what I said and I believe that they try not to have it show the same symptoms repeatedly in order to avoid lemon law claims.

"I would strongly suggest that when one takes their truck into having something check, just after the service writer finishes inputing your comments into the computer --- stop him and actually read from the computer screen, prior to his printing it out, what he wrote. If it is not exactly as you said --- have him rewrite it, in your words. Keep in mind this document, which will be printed out for you to sign, is a contract. You have every right to insure that the terminology used, is in fact your words and comments, not the service writer's. Taking and insuring these steps, will cover your $%& every time. Should the service writer say, "it's just a work order", then: "Then there is no need for me to sign it ???" It's a contract. "If its going to have my signature on it ---- use MY words."
Go to this thread, read completely…. and post. Follow, on page 3..MLF250’s format, it is good…and easy!
Important update to instructions on page 6, 17 posts down from the top of page.

ODOMETER reading at time of problem is critical.
In addition, please read more instructions, bottom of first page, posted by Tim L
Tell as many as you can about this thread.
The simpler the writing (posting) of “problem/odometer” reading………….the easier it will be to collate. Do not need many words. I must reduce all the date into a usable format; extra words will take more time to complete.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=185570

Thanks
Tim

Old 01-11-2004, 03:07 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by khitch710`
Motor built 10/09/03...runs like a scalded dog...getting about 17.5 mpg....only problem to date is a bad belt tensioner at 2700 miles...have 4100 miles now and it appears it is going out again...will take to dealer later this week....I am very happy with this truck.....
Go to this thread, read completely…. and post. Follow, on page 3..MLF250’s format, it is good…and easy!
Important update to instructions on page 6, 17 posts down from the top of page.

ODOMETER reading at time of problem is critical.
In addition, please read more instructions, bottom of first page, posted by Tim L
Tell as many as you can about this thread.
The simpler the writing (posting) of “problem/odometer” reading………….the easier it will be to collate. Do not need many words. I must reduce all the date into a usable format; extra words will take more time to complete.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...hreadid=185570

Thanks
Tim

Old 01-12-2004, 02:30 PM
$trokin60
Senior User
Funny you guys should mention how they change the wording around when you take it to the dealer I had strong fuel smell on oil dip stick oil was over full had one of the mechanics verify it he said deffinatly fuel in the oil have service writer write it up after all is said and done paper work reads customer complains of fuel in oil -- drained oil fuel in oil checks ok in accordance with ford tech line. So I am a complainer and theres no fuel in Oil because I didnt make them write it up like this fuel in oil verified buy mechanic this last time my truck spent 2 days in shop because it had to be painted there was primer but no paint on bed when I removed tail gate was told by body shop typical ford paint job limited slip doesnt work had it in one time prior for this this time I pulled off road to answer phone and right rear tire went off in the mud when I tried to get back on highway right rear tire spun truck went nowhere applied little brake to lock rear end still no go switched to 4wd still no go no 4wd got out and locked hubs and still no 4wd had to back up then go fwd to get back on highway then 2 miles down road 4wd locked in take it in to for thier resoponse cant find anything wrong had to jam on brakes when someone cut me of truck pulled me into the left lane and off the left side off road took it in had service manage verify this he didnt apply the brakes as hard but it still pulled him into the left lane put it in the shop ford response everything checks ok so when I go to dealer ship and tell them I want a replacement one service writer tells the other one I have a bunch of complaint but nothing is substantiated so definatly get it in you wors and if mechanic rides with you and verifys it get it in his words also.

Old 01-13-2004, 09:21 AM
"Luke" SdeS
Elder User
$trokin60

With considerable respect to you.......I had to stop reading the above note you wrote.....sorry, but the lack of any punctuation just makes it very challenging to read......my lose, I'm sure, but it is simply not readable.. . at your convenience, could you re-write or edit it.??

Old 01-13-2004, 11:05 AM
$trokin60
Senior User
Sorry for my ramblings Luke I passed college english with an A but, still cant write or punctuate. I was just upset because every time I take it to the dealer I have the service manage ride with me and verify the problem, when the mechanic finishes with it the paper work usually reads could not duplicate or checked and found ok. but the service writeralways starts the paper work with this statement " customer complains of " . If I were to DSB or insight the lemon law the paperwork reads in Fords favor by making me look like a complainer with no problems. A few minutes ago I just got off of the phone with the service manager he is sending me paperwork saying that he in fact did verify my problem and the mechanic could not find the cause of the problem. I believe in having a paper trail and I keep meticulous service records in cronilogical order in a binder. hope this is eiser to under stand I will be awaiting my grade.

Quick Reply: Oct. and Newer '04s