newbie doin' hub conversion on 97 eff-three-fiddy

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 02:48 AM
deadsenator
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbie doin' hub conversion on 97 eff-three-fiddy

Best regards to all,
I gotta say: This site rocks! I wish I'd looked here a while ago since it looks like there are a ton of experienced folks here.

On to the issue at hand. I have three-bolt auto hubs that let me down during a snowstorm. Consequently, I've purchased the Warn Premium hubs, conversion kit, and a Lisle 2-3/4 rounded socket (p/n - 33170) to remove the old bearing nut. I also have a slight amount of mechanical aptitude, and a Ford service manual, so I'm gonna tackle this one myself.
But before I pick up my parts, my questions are: Is that all I need? Did I miss any bits? Does anyone have a procedure that I can reference? I've seen a couple for earlier and lighter trucks, but not one for a 350. Or is it largly the same? The part where I get fuzzy (except when drinking too much) is after I remove the hub body. There's a bunch of greasy bits in there. Does it all come out? What does the conversion kit entail? Some sage advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks to all and I'm happy to be a new fledgling member here. BTW: I love my truck!

DS
97 f350 7.3 w/a stick

Old 01-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Zilard
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep just did this a few weeks ago. I picked up the kit from Local Stealer, however this time it was cheaper than NAPA or any other place I found it. You will need two inter lock nuts. with pin on them, two lock washers with tabs and holes in them that slip over the pin on the inter nut. The outer lock nut has no pin on it, but you will need a 4 prong spaner socket to tighten it up againest the the washer so your wheels done come off.
Pull off the wheel and remove the two large bolts that hold the caliper on(they are on the inside top & bottom) lay it over on the spring.
Use the manual you have, and instructions of the kit. I repacked the wheel bearings at the same time, and installed new wheel bearing seals. Put everthing back together and your set. It only takes about 30 min a side, not bad,
CH