1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCARY NOISES!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2000, 06:15 PM
Superfreakinduty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCARY NOISES!!!

Please give me any words of wisdom you might have on my lengthy list of problems. I'm about to take my truck to the dealership and I would like to have some suggestions for them. Thanks guys.

2000 F-250 Superduty
Regular Cab
Long Wheelbase
4X4 (Manual Hubs)
Automatic
V10
Mileage: Approximately 4,500

PROBLEM 1
At 70 mph and above, when letting off of the accelerator, a loud “WHURR” or “HOWL” is heard. This noise is accompanied by a slight vibration which can be felt in the floorboard. The noise and vibration are only experienced for a brief moment upon releasing the accelerator. The noise and vibration increase in intensity when letting off the accelerator at increased speeds. In other words, the noise and vibration are worse when letting off of the accelerator at 75 mph vs. 70 mph. This problem is experienced both with and without applying the brakes; however, it is much worse if the brakes are applied because the truck is being slowed more abruptly. The origin seems to be driveline related. It has been very apparent when the cruise control is used and the accelerator is dropping out as the truck descends on overpasses.

PROBLEM 2
When arriving at or leaving from a complete stop, a loud “POP” is heard and felt in the floorboard. The problem is most apparent during slow, around-town driving. The noise seems to be coming from beneath the cab of the truck. This noise also occurs when turning sharply onto a slight incline or decline while applying the brakes. This “POP” can also be heard while driving over small bumps while applying the brakes. This noise seems to be related to chassis flex.

PROBLEM 3
When driving around town at slow speeds, a constant rattle is heard from behind the passenger seat. I has a very metallic, pinging tone. I have tried to pinpoint its origin many times, but I have not had any success in finding the source, but I know that it is definitely in the cab.

Old 06-03-2000, 07:32 PM
Roger_B
Senior User
SCARY NOISES!!!

My guesses.. btw, most of your symptoms have been described on other forums as well..
problem1: Torque converter..

Problem2: Front suspension bushing. I've heard of others who've had this and theres a fix for it. (Maybe a tsb).

Problem3: I've seen a TSB for crew cab trucks making a popping sound because of the cab mounts.
I also hear this particular sound on my SuperCab so I'm thinking maybe its a similar thing..

Old 06-04-2000, 01:41 PM
Steve R
Senior User
SCARY NOISES!!!

I can only speak to item number 2. I have '99 CrewCab F250 and had the popping noise coming from the passenger side floorboard with in 4 months of picking the truck up. It was a broken weld on the body mount bad under the cab. It took three trips in to the shop, and claiming that it had been in 3 times for the same problem before the plant told the dealership that it was a broken spot weld. When the dealer found out what it was, they made solid welds on all the body mount pads. Haven't had that problems since.

Love my SD.

Steve R
'99 F250 5.4L CC LB 4x2

Old 06-05-2000, 12:28 PM
mondogeek
New User
SCARY NOISES!!!

I have a similar annoying rattling sound as you describe here, although mine is on the driver side, right by my ear. I keep thinking it's coming from the seat-belt bracket on the door post, but I can't figure it out. My truck is a crew-cab, but it doesn't sound as serious as cab mounts or anything like Roger B mention in his post. Worth checking into though.

>PROBLEM 3
>When driving around town at slow
>speeds, a constant rattle is
>heard from behind the passenger
>seat. I has a
>very metallic, pinging tone.
>I have tried to pinpoint
>its origin many times, but
>I have not had any
>success in finding the source,
>but I know that it
>is definitely in the cab.
>

Old 06-05-2000, 03:55 PM
superdutyman
New User
SCARY NOISES!!!

Mondogeekman:

I have a 99 superduty CC V10 and have occasionally
heard a snap or pop noise. I noticed that it only had happened with the window open and driving on the e-way. One time I glanced over at my son in the passenger seat and saw the seat belt strap snap against side wall of the cab. I then watched my belt in my side mirror and saw the same thing.

Old 06-06-2000, 06:14 AM
Lou19
Freshman User
SCARY NOISES!!!

I have a 2000 CC V10 4x4 SB and I get what sounds like a rubber mallet hitting the floorboard usually within 20 seconds after starting the truck.Even if I don't move,just start it,I hear the thud.Could my thud be from a hydraulic system,trans or steering,becoming pressurized? And yes,my power steering is useless when stopped during hard brake applications. Any help appreciated.Thanks

Old 06-06-2000, 07:13 PM
wawii
Senior User
SCARY NOISES!!!

mondogeek,

It's the leading edge door seal on the upper part of the rear crew cab door. Your rear door is likly adjusted such that it sticks out further than the front door.
------------------
Thanks,
Will

2000 F-250 SD Crew Cab, Short Bed, Lariat, 4X2, V-10, Auto, 3.73LS

Old 06-08-2000, 10:06 PM
davem
New User
SCARY NOISES!!!

>I have a 2000 CC V10
>4x4 SB and I get
>what sounds like a rubber
>mallet hitting the floorboard usually
>within 20 seconds after starting
>the truck.Even if I don't
>move,just start it,I hear the
>thud.Could my thud be from
>a hydraulic system,trans or steering,becoming
>pressurized? And yes,my power steering
>is useless when stopped during
>hard brake applications. Any help
>appreciated.Thanks

I have a 2000 V10 CC and also hear/feel the sound coming from underneath the front of the truck shortly after starting the engine.
The owners manual says that after starting the engine, you may hear the antilock break system do a diagnostic self-check. I am hoping that this is what I hear.
Anybody else know about this?

-Dave

Old 06-10-2000, 01:15 AM
thrasher
New User
SCARY NOISES!!!

This may sound stupid but have you checked to make sure that your transfer case is in 2hi and not 4hi????
The noise that you hear and the vibration is probably your front drive line. The howl is probably your transfer case

Old 09-13-2002, 01:15 PM
Skiddz
Cross-Country
SCARY NOISES!!!

>I have a 2000 CC V10 4x4 SB and I get what sounds like a
>rubber mallet hitting the floorboard usually within 20
>seconds after starting the truck.Even if I don't move,just
>start it,I hear the thud.Could my thud be from a hydraulic
>system,trans or steering,becoming pressurized? And yes,my
>power steering is useless when stopped during hard brake
>applications. Any help appreciated.Thanks

Have the same "thunk" in my '02 350. Turns out it's a vacuum operated door in the ventilation system. Evidently it's held in position by vacuum and "bleeds off" when the engine is shut down. Once ya start the truck, vacuum comes back and the door slams open/shut (dunno exactly what position it's going to) with a pronounced thump. Annoying, but harmless.

Leaving his mark everywhere he goes....

Old 09-13-2002, 01:22 PM
79CEEJAY
Elder User
SCARY NOISES!!!

Lou19, I had....have the same noise. It is just the vacuum door on the A/C. No problem!

Old 09-13-2002, 02:24 PM
BOBBIE43
Freshman User
SCARY NOISES!!!