1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need New Digital Readout computer for Ford F250 Overhead console??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:46 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dunno where to buy (other than Ebay) online, but just do a search for 62 ohm 1/4watt resistors and 68 ohm 1/4 watts. The truck will take both.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:04 AM
stugots
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I bought 50 of each off of ebay. I would be happy to send out the extras to who ever wants to try this repair. just pay for shipping.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:55 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
Awesome, thanks for the offer. Somebody here might be able to get theirs fixed because of your resistors... really cool of you!

Old 06-04-2010, 12:13 AM
stugots
Freshman User
Well I replaced 4 of them and left 3 alone and it works great.
Just for info sakes. It takes 3 68's and 4 62's to do a complete replacement.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:32 PM
maxhuey
New User
any 2 watt resistor from about 70 to 90 ohms will do, the higher the value, the lower the light output. I use 100 ohm and the brightness of the display is still quite useable. Resistors runs cooler too...

So... anyone figured out how to get instanteneous reading out of this display??

Old 06-09-2010, 05:56 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Posting Guru
I would recommend 1/4W resistors only, as the display can be difficult to read during the day time sometimes. I like things bright, and 1/4W resistors are very easy to find, possibly even more so than 2W.

As for the instantaneous readings, could you specify a little?

Old 06-09-2010, 09:35 PM
maxhuey
New User
Its not so much of the wattage rating affecting the brightness. Wattage rating is the current carring capacity of the resistors. Original resistors wattage rating are just on the borderline (or minimum wattage) of the total current passing through with nothing to spare so they run quite hot and over time, the solder holding them on the board oxydized (corrode) until they fall apart.

If you like full bright as in factory original, obviuosly you should use 68 & 62 ohms resistors. When I got time later, I will probably change them out to ~70 ohms. I hate to remove the grey plastic cover as it is already desintigrating (the manufacturer did not mixed in enough plastic stabilizer causing them to break down within 5 years)

Now, I do not know what wattage rating those original resistors are and I believe you are right that 1/4 watt rating should be enough. But just to be on the safe side I use a larger wattage rating (2 watt) so there's absolutely no chance for them to heat up like the orignal.

As for instantaneous reading, it should be showing the current updated mileage every second or two, not the average mileage over time, this reading let you know how much fuel you are consumimng at a certain point of pedal travel and usually updated every second. When I opened up the board for repair, there is the word "INST" right beside the "AVE". This only means that this computer was designed to also get instantaneous reading but somehow, Ford ommited this function. For most other electronics, there are usually hidden ways of getting this extra feature, sometimes just by hitting the buttons in a specific sequence. Not important but nice to have.

cheers, max

Old 06-19-2010, 05:12 PM
aijikun
New User
resistors

Originally Posted by stugots
Well I bought 50 of each off of ebay. I would be happy to send out the extras to who ever wants to try this repair. just pay for shipping.
Stugots, I would love to purchase a set of resistors from you for my display "rebuild".
Would you email me at waltertreadwell@***.net and I will be happy to send you some funds.

Thanks!
Walt

Old 06-19-2010, 10:22 PM
stugots
Freshman User
Originally Posted by aijikun
Stugots, I would love to purchase a set of resistors from you for my display "rebuild".
Would you email me at waltertreadwell@***.net and I will be happy to send you some funds.

Thanks!
Walt
No problem,sent you a email

Old 07-09-2010, 05:54 PM
HAPPY TURBO
New User
Thanks

found same on my console. Will head out to pick up soldering iron. One resister was up in the air, i guess when the solder let go it just drops away from the board. Finally an in expensive fix for my '03 super duty. After dropping $1200.00 for injectors last week!!!

Old 08-18-2010, 10:20 PM
criticaleye
New User
Help

Originally Posted by stugots
STUGOS,
If you still have any resitors avaliable I am interested in purchasing some from you shoot me an email if you can letting me know. tommy_sutherland@hotmail.com.

Thanks,
Criticaleye

Old 08-18-2010, 10:30 PM
criticaleye
New User
Should you get Carbon or Metal film resistors? I am searching for some onling and see both avaliable??

Old 08-31-2010, 02:36 PM
saint08
Freshman User
i have a 2003 F-350 6.0
I'm attempting to fix my overhead console the way you guys have explained here, however, when it comes to taking the overhead console down, you say to just pull it downward and it will just pop off? I pulled on mine and it doesn’t really seem to give. The entire ceiling seems to be pretty well attached. Any advice, pictures or hidden tabs that I should know about or should I just pull harder?
Thanks!

Old 08-31-2010, 05:06 PM
vfirth
New User
See this thread with detailed instructions from Miescha and the photos in his gallery.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/44...-gone-out.html
I just resoldered the original resistors; which lasted a couple of years. They came loose again during the recent heat wave and I had to repeat the fix.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:15 PM
criticaleye
New User
STUGOTS- Thanks Man!

I just wanted to say thanks to Stugots for your help with the resistors I sure appreciate the help! I ended up messing up my board and just ordered a new one but it was an adventure anyway! Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Need New Digital Readout computer for Ford F250 Overhead console??