Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

8.1L vs. v10

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 02:53 PM
sinister73
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8.1L vs. v10

Well guys,

I felt like kicking this subject around here a bit to get some opinions on a few facts that I discovered.

Now this is a Ford truck site, so I know there is bound to be some bias around here-and thats fine. You might want to call me a non- biased Ford owner- because thats what I am.

I like the V10 engine just fine guys, its nice and tight and very responsive- I just wish it had the gurgling sound of a v8-even that of the 5.4L.

If I do decide to go with the Ford 250/350 SRW as my next truck I will get the V10 as I dont want to pay 5000.00 just to have a trendy diesel I don't need, and the 5.4L while I like the sound better, just dosent seem to be quite enough engine for this very large truck. Perhaps Ford will have the 3 valve version in the 250/350 by the time I'm ready to buy.

On to the subject, I gotta say I really do like GM's approach to gasoline engines- big bored V8's with lots of displacement for their class sizes. The 364 cu in (6.0L) V8 has larger cylinders than the V10 does, and from what I understand about the V10 it's basically a 5.4L (331 cu in) with two added cylinders.
Is this right? Is this what they mean by modular design?

Not trying to provoke anyone-just honest questions here guys.
Now while the V10 does indeed out power the 6.0L by a good margin, it again has two extra cylinders as well. The 8.1L(501 cu in) has 86 cu in displacement advantage on the V10- with only 8 cylinders. The cylinders themselves must be the size of soda bottles.

Here's what I'm really wanting to know- which do you think is the better engine? Things to be taken into consideration include design differences, fuel consumption, durability, strength, and performance.

It is known that the V10 out performs the 8.1 liter for liter, and cu in for cu in, but its also my opinion that the 8.1L is not even breaking a sweat to achieve its enormous numbers, while the V10 seems to rev pretty high and still comes up short in both HP and Torque numbers in comparision.

I guess the real question is how much more can be squeezed from both engines- considering both displacement and design limitations, while still maintiaining reasonable durability.
I know there is a factory H.O. version of the 8.1L which is still naturally aspirated and produces 440 HP at 4000 RPM and 660 ft lb at 3200 RPM. I can't imagine any diesel powered pickup currently available as having equal towing performance to this motor as far as just raw pulling power and acceleration on flats is concerned. Why this motor is not offered as an option in the Silverado pickups I don't know. God knows what unholy numbers this motor would have with a SC put on it.

I like both motors, even though they are worlds apart in just about every aspect except that they both use gasoline.

I do like the SD truck a bit more than the GM's as far as size, stance, interior, and springs/suspensions go. And alot more as far as trim and front grills go. I do like big block V8's though, and wish Ford still had one.

Can't have the best of both worlds all the time can you?
Oh well the V10 seems like a good motor- and more than I'll ever need- but it's just not a big block V8.

Let me hear your opinions guys please.

Thank you.

Old 01-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Both engines could have been put out producing over 450HP and still have been reliable. I think it comes down to mileage. The 8.1L produces more torque through the whole powerband (or at least I usre hope it would) but feeding it has to be expensive. The 8.1L is probably more than you could ever use in a truck anyway. Sure it will probably outpull the powerstroke or duramax but they probably get 3 times the mileage. Ford already has the 3 valve 5.4 out there man! What are you waiting for?

Old 01-04-2004, 07:07 PM
otto
Posting Guru
And the 3 valve 4.6 and 6.8 are coming soon.

The 8.1 is not 501 its a 496, and its not the 502 they sell aftermarket, I would say is more bulletproof than the 6.8, and gets probably half the mileage so I wouldnt want either, the 5.4 or 5.4 s/c would be my choice, and in the chev the 6.0 is nice, we have both type of trucks at the shop and the 5.4 is definatley more refined and smoother than the 6.0, 6.0 power is nice, I'm sick of the piston slap tho, why cant the automakers use a piston with some type of skirt, gm has been having problems with slapping pistons for 10 years now

Old 01-07-2004, 09:45 PM
hoxiii
Postmaster
With the whole piston slap and no skirt, it's the auto makers going for less friction and better mileage, no matter how little they get.
A design i really like to eliminate slap was used by VW in the original bug motors. The wrist pin bore was offset from the centerline of the piston by .0015" so as the piston moved to TDC a slight thrust would be placed against one side of the cylinder wall and as the piston went to BDC a thrust would be applied to the opposite side of the cylinder. The thrust would prevent the piston from rattling in the bore yet was so slight that it didn't increase wear on the motor. It also made it very obvious if you put the pistons in backwards as they would slap like nothing else (but you would get a slight boost in power).

Justin

Old 01-07-2004, 10:14 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My dad worked in a Chevy dealer for over a year, he said that the slap in the chevy motors is actually caused by the piston being made of silicone. It has to expand to fill the cylinder properly, so it slaps when cold.

Old 01-07-2004, 10:26 PM
hoxiii
Postmaster
I still don't like a gas engine that sounds like a diesel on startup. . . my 300 is a diffent matter, it has 230,000 miles on it, it's allowed some clatter

Justin

Old 01-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Cody1960
Junior User
From talking with the guys I know that have the V10, they love them. Powerful, better on fuel than the GM, and longer lasting. At least one guy I know pulls a big horse trailer and recently got rid of his 02 GMC and replaced it with the V10 Super Duty and he says the Ford outperforms the GM in every way. BTW, he is a die hard GM nut.

Old 01-08-2004, 07:54 PM
ranger15
Junior User
whats the hp and tq of both motors and whats the towing on them