Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke Something

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Hurricane_Niner7
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke Something

Hi,

I bought a used '92 F-150 a few months back. It's for my little brother to be his first vehicle. Right now I'm just tinkering with it and running it around to different shops to make it safe for him to drive, then I'm towing it to FL when I go on leave. It's got an I6 and and an auto-trans (other than it having EFI, I couldn't tell you any more info)

I thought I had all the major stuff taken care of and it's been sitting for the last couple weeks, so I decided to run it around a little today.

When I was going down the road there was an add noise (somehow a cross between a buzz and whistle) and it took longer than usual to accelerate. When I turned off the truck, it let out a squeal and then kept firing. I hit the ignition again and tried to shut down again. Same thing. In the end, I had to pull the battery to get the engine to stop. Looked under the hood and found that something broke, and I don't know what it is. The piece makes a nice little stream of smoke as if it was smoking a cigarette and smells like dead meat. It sits off to the passenger side about where the engine/trans join. I couldn't get a real clear view of it, but it seems to be abouth the size of a soda can with a couple wires coming out (I know that's not exactly very descriptive, but I don't know what else to say and I can't find my camera). I like to peak under the hood of my trucks, but am very limited in actual knowedge. I can change my own oil and tires, but, other than that, I don't have very much experience since I can't take things apart until something breaks. My only guess would be the pump for the trans, but that's just a guess.

If anyone has a clue about what part I'm trying to sputter out or can direct me to a decent diagram that I can look at, please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
<a href="http://hurricane_niner7.clubfte.com">1LT Anthony Somma</a>

---
2003 CC F-250 XL, 7.3L PSD, 4x4, LWB, 13K+ Miles
1992 RC F-150 Custom, I-6

Old 01-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Slade901
Senior User
"When I was going down the road there was an add noise (somehow a cross between a buzz and whistle) and it took longer than usual to accelerate."

Does it sound like a screaming banchee? The catalytic converter (or if there is a pre cat) is probably clogged up. It happened on one of our vehicle and it just barely would want to go and making this screaming banchee

A picture would help about that soda thing. I am sure someone here knows about that.

With regards to engine still running even though the ignition switch has been turned off, it's probably the ignition switch itself or failing relays or shorted wires.

Old 01-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Hurricane_Niner7
Freshman User
Thanks for the reply.

I guess that the sound could be classified as a screaming banchee.

I've really got to find my camera and get some pics up. I'll look into checking the cat.

Thanks,
<a href="http://hurricane_niner7.clubfte.com">1LT Anthony Somma</a>

---
2003 CC F-250 XL, 7.3L PSD, 4x4, LWB, 13K+ Miles
1992 RC F-150 Custom, I-6

Old 01-04-2004, 10:22 PM
ATC_250SX
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well i would say that your starter selinoid stuck on and that your starter was engaged, thus making the noise and the smoke and why your truck turned over until you disconnected the battery terminal, if it was in the ignition it wouldent shut off when you pulled the terminal because the alt. would still run the truck, and i know this because my truck did the same thing, but i didnt leave the driveway i figured it out while it was sitting there warming up. and the smoke means you probly smoked the starter.