351 out 429 in

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 06:42 PM
tess100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
351 out 429 in

other than motor mounts ,exaust and oil pan are there any other changes necesary to put a 429 in an 82 f-250 ie what about fly wheel to torke converter ,starter etc... trucck had a 351 m

Old 01-01-2004, 07:06 PM
Breeze
Senior User
The 429 will be a fairly straight forward swap from the 351M. The tranny, Torque converter, etc. will all line right up. You will need to do some playing with the brackets on the front of the motor if the 429 did not come with all the bracketry, and while I had everything apart, I would go ahead and overhaul the tranny too.

Old 01-01-2004, 07:41 PM
catmandu79
Junior User
Okay, First, this is going to be a SMALL block to BIG block swap, meaning the small block crap won't work on your big block and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I'm speaking from experience here! I bought a 79 F250 4x4, thought it drove okay, bad water pump, no biggie, lots more than that once I started going thru it with a fine tooth comb. I bought this with the swap already done, but they forgot to go buy parts, SWAP GONE BAD!! So I got to start from scratch with basically a motor and a truck with no engine! Here is what you can keep, the PS pump, Alternator, Starter(check clearances). The only time that you will keep a SMALL block part is if you are intending on using an automatic trans., then you can reuse the flexplate only, but I would recommend against it because you are roughly doubling your horsepower & torque #2 replace ALL the hardware that has to be removed in order to make the swap, can't stress this enough, I recommend ARP! #3 Broncograveyard.com can't beat there prices, L & L Products-cheaper! You don't have to change your oil pan unless you plan on going 4wheeling.HA HA!! I had to alter the MtrMnt tower holes a little bit. I had to change my pulley setup to get everything to line up correctly, March Performance helped out there with a complete Serpentine pulley kit, still had to make some of my own bolt spacers to get it right, but man does it look BAD! Bought all new accessories, after dicovering a bad water pump I was not going to take any chances. Exhaust, I still have the stock exhaust, I just had the local muffler shop make a new extension for the drivers side to get around the new 10qt oil pan! Headers come later. I'm not sure what the frame looks like under your engine but on the 79 it crosses at angle, the pass. side being the most foward. This created a problem in mounting the alt., which on the 385 series engines was mounted on the pass. side bottom of the block, March Performance can fix you up, but I'm telling you know if you do that you will want to change all of them because it will look so good! If you get the 10qt oil pan make sure you get the oil pump with that! The starter, I'm using a new starter that was like the one I pulled out, the solenoid is mounted on the fender with this particular year, not sure about `83. I would recommend that anybody out there that has a solenoid mounted on the starter that you go to the expense of changing over to one that has no solenoid on it if you don't you are going to have problems, goes for Chevy too! So, a 1979 351M starter will fit a 1969 429/460 as long as you use an automatic when you change to 4-speed all bets are off, the only thing I get to reuse is the bellhousing, all other clutch related parts have to be changed. I have been working on my own vehicles for 30 years, this was the worst mess yet! Just take a look at my latest work in my gallery to see the hulk I rescued from a farmers field, it's not finished but not far from it. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact me.

Old 01-01-2004, 09:39 PM
tess100
Senior User
thanks for the info guys the 429 i got is complete with all the bracets and the 429 fly wheel wich one should i use the 429 or 351 or are they the same ? the oil pan on 351 has raer sup 429 has front sump i assume i will have to get a rear sup 429 pan 1982 f250 4x4 ifs front end

Old 01-01-2004, 10:06 PM
There Goes The Neighborhood
Elder User
Go through FMS, and get a fox body big block swap pan. Works great on a '77, and they say they work in '80's trucks.

Old 01-02-2004, 08:50 AM
Breeze
Senior User
Originally posted by catmandu79
Okay, First, this is going to be a SMALL block to BIG block swap, meaning the small block crap won't work on your big block and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.... yada yada yada.... The starter, I'm using a new starter that was like the one I pulled out, the solenoid is mounted on the fender with this particular year, not sure about `83......I have been working on my own vehicles for 30 years........
zzzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz... huh... oh... must be done with the diatribe.... Love how he needs to take out a second mortgage doing it the way recommended by a guy who doesnt even know if Ford used a fender mounted solenoid in 83 or not

Should he go and bow at your feet too after you are done breaking the bank with him?

Anyways, most any of the parts you will need (rear sump pan, etc,) should be easily available, as the 460 was a factory option in that era. If the ring gear on the flywheel is in good shape, use it. And as for the brackets, if you take your time, you should be able to come up with a mounting pattern for everything by using a combination of the old 351M brackets and the 429 brackets

Old 01-02-2004, 06:57 PM
tess100
Senior User
thanks breeze sounds like it should be a sinch sounds like you now what you are talking about in case you were wondering engine is going in a mud buggy that i built out of the 1982 f250 axles any way thanks again i appreciate your help

Old 01-03-2004, 08:09 AM
catmandu79
Junior User
This has to be the worst web forum I've ever been on! There is so much tetosterone flow here it's a wonder that any of you get anything done! You people need to understand we are supposed to help each other out here not slam each other! It's also obovious that some of you have never broke down on the trail or you just put all that stuff on your truck just so it will look cool.

Old 01-03-2004, 08:50 PM
Breeze
Senior User
This has to be the worst web forum I've ever been on! There is so much tetosterone flow here it's a wonder that any of you get anything done! You people need to understand we are supposed to help each other out here not slam each other!
Welcome to the web. BB Fords, 4X4's and HP naturally go together with testosterone, and as for a slam, try reading what you just posted

It's also obovious that some of you have never broke down on the trail
Actually, I have, and many others here have too, thus the reason we are here to share knowledge, and learn as well.

or you just put all that stuff on your truck just so it will look cool
Since these comments were obviously directed at me, I will respond. I DARE you to try and find anything that is on ANY of my 4X4's for "cool" factor.
I built the 78 14 yrs ago. It is mashed flat on the right hand side from flopping it after a speed pit run that went bad. Steel wheels (cause they work) 6" lift to clear the tires, and a 460 (for the power) with a combination of small block and big block brackets 200,000+ miles on the junkyard special motor, and it still goes into and out of the woods when I want it too. Matter of fact, for years it even had the old trick of using 390 motor mounts, rotated, to mount the motor.

The 90 EB, I bought Nov. 2002 because a guy had it for sale for $900. He couldnt get it running because the plug to the fuel pump relay was shot. $0.50 at the junkyard for a good used plug. Put a set of tires on it, and tuned it back up.

The 90 XLT I bought so I could have a vehicle at my folks place when I go visit, and so they would have a 4X4 during the winter if needed.

And finally the F250 because I needed a truck for things the Broncs just couldnt do (firewood, etc) and $1000 for a Ext cab, Long bed 4x4, with fresh axles and a new bed was just too good to pass up, especially when the deal included a C6 and 429 ready to put together and go in it.

I'm not saying your way is the wrong way, nor am I saying my way is the only way. Neither is yours the only way tho. The problem I had with your original post was this line right here
Okay, First, this is going to be a SMALL block to BIG block swap, meaning the small block crap won't work on your big block and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I'm speaking from experience here!
you first address us as idiots, and secondly state that if we disagree with you, we are wrong, as you know better!

BTW, I can tell the difference between a 429/460 and a 351M/400 by looking at them. Can you?

Old 01-03-2004, 09:58 PM
greenhighboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This tells how much experience he has.

The only time that you will keep a SMALL block part is if you are intending on using an automatic trans., then you can reuse the flexplate
You don't even have to have the two next to each other to see they won't interchange.

If you throw money at something eventually you can make it work. These swaps can be made real easy and right with nothing more than factory parts.

I would recommend that anybody out there that has a solenoid mounted on the starter that you go to the expense of changing over to one that has no solenoid on it if you don't you are going to have problems, goes for Chevy too! So, a 1979 351M starter will fit a 1969 429/460 as long as you use an automatic when you change to 4-speed all bets are off, the only thing I get to reuse is the bellhousing
This is all wrong. The Ford starters with the solenoid on them are the heavy duty big block starter. They are used along with one on the firewall. Keep using that 351M starter and you'll be"broke down on the trail"with your "cool" looking March pulleys.

Old 01-03-2004, 09:58 PM
shazam
Elder User
Yes I can... I just did a 351M to 460 swap in a 1981 F250 with a C6 .. Funny thing is I couldn't get the Flexplate from the 351M to match up on the 460 Crank .. bolt pattern was differant..Is the bolt pattern on a 429 smaller like that of the 351M ??

Old 01-03-2004, 10:08 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope, bolt pattern is the same on a 429 as the 460. Just make sure you get a flexplate for the correct year engine you are using, 79-up 460's are externally balanced.

When I swapped the 460 into my '79 F-150 5 years ago, all I used were L&L mountsand I even used the stock front sump pan, my truck is lifted 4" allowing enough clearance for the pan. I modified the 351M PS bracket to work and used the alternator mount that came on my engine (76 Lincoln 460) with a slightly shorter belt to help the alternator to clear the front crossmember.

Last edited by Ford79; 01-03-2004 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:05 AM
Elder User
This has to be the worst web forum I've ever been on! There is so much tetosterone flow here it's a wonder that any of you get anything done! You people need to understand we are supposed to help each other out here not slam each other! It's also obovious that some of you have never broke down on the trail or you just put all that stuff on your truck just so it will look cool.
So, when was the last time you broke the front u-joint(at the t-case) from a stand still launch, had it beat the crap out of your floorboard as you neered 60 mph, and beat the guy you were racing by over 35 feet in two wheel drive? If it weren't for the fact that the shifter cable broke and bracket was bent to crap, and wouldn't engage anything but 1st gear, we could've continued. Have I had something break on the trail? No, but thats one of several things that broke, this season alone. Want more? How about the mechanical advance exploding inside the distributor housing, causing the truck to quit while nearing peak RPM(over 6000 RPM). This happened almost 50 ft. from the finish line, and we carried enough momentum to lose by only a few inches. Of course all of this happens in the mud, about 200 ft. at a time.

So, you think this stuff is all for looks? Not hardly! Things are put on vehicles for one reason only, and that's because they work. We have one thing on the big block truck, and that's chrome valve covers. They're only on there because we found them cheap, and in good condition. So before you go saying anyone else slams someone, look at your post.

Old 01-04-2004, 01:17 AM
tess100
Senior User
now i am realy confused wich fly wheel am i to use they look the same to me . 429 fly wheel on 429 or 351 fly wheel on 429. 351 starter or by a 429 starter mounts and brackets are no problem i will make new ones from scracht if i have to . oil pan i will by one from junk yard for a 1982 460 truck if it is alright to use junk yard parts my buggy is not lifted so front sump pan will not work

Old 01-04-2004, 01:20 AM
Elder User
429 flywheel with 429. Junkyard parts are fine, just make sure there are no holes, and they are in good condition.