1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Earl Lives!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 04:25 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Earl Lives!!!

Hi gals and fellas,

For about two years before October, 2003, I read every post on the forum and responded to more than I probably should have (given my real level of knowledge ). In October, I needed to take on a second job (due to some big medical expenses) and I haven't had time to log on for the past 3 months or so. I'll never have time to read all the posts I missed, and I'm sure there is a lot of history and storytelling in there that I'll be scratching my head about in the future. I'm sure missing all the fun I had and can't wait to get back here on a regular basis - maybe next summer.

The real point of this post is that I got about three days worth of work done on Earl's engine since it came back from the machine shop. Cleaned the engine, got all the parts we needed, cleaned everything, lower end assembled, cleaned stuff, upper end assembled, cleaned things, painted almost everything, cleaned everything, installed engine in the chassis, cleaned the garage, ignition wiring done, cleaned all parts, starter and solenoid wired up, and finally cleaned everything. Did I mention that we cleaned all the engine parts thoroughly?

Hooked up a short length of steel line to the carb with a quart oil bottle on the other end for a temporary gas tank. Hit the starter and she started right up!!! HOO HOOOOO!!! Ran a little rough at first - just like the mechine shop said it would. Got the ignition all tuned and then the carb. After the 45 minute break-in, she was purring like a kitten. Details hopefully in Earl's World within the week - and there were a few !@#$% moments in case you were wondering.

Wiring, tubing, etc. is temporary until we get the cab on. Oil pressure and vacuum gages were for diagnostics during the break-in and are now removed.

Miss you all, Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2004, 04:36 PM
laynrubber
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey....your engine is yella.

Cool i like it, feels great when one can see and hear the fruits and expense of the job.

Old 01-01-2004, 04:53 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
Your back earl! Thats a thing of beauty Earl! Them y-blocks sound real good ehh? one question, did you use the groments for the plug wires to go through? Where did you get yours, and was it a PITA to instal? -4speed

Old 01-01-2004, 05:12 PM
55Bubba
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happy New Year George,

May Earl continue his resurrection this year. You have been sorely missed, the darkside has made signifigant inroads. Earls heart looks great !!! Kind of makes me almost believe it's the mid fifties and the assembly line is rolling along. Sure is a purty engine !

Lost my brakes before Christmas, One day they were there, next day gone, so motor change or rebuild will have to wait. Told the wife. engine swap was optional, stopping was not !

Long story short....you have eben missed, Fenders has been in a funk and the wealth of knowledge diminished by your absence

Welcome back,

Bubba

Old 01-01-2004, 05:17 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Congratulations George! There's no feeling in the world quite like bringing an old engine back to life...............

.........but what's those funny gray upside-down tray like things on top of the engine????????

Now that Earl's runnin', don't give in to the temptation to run it too often without a load on it. Unless your mechanic says different, it should be on the road to break in.....but I bet you knew that too!
Welcome back - glad things are shaping up for you.

Old 01-01-2004, 05:40 PM
jeffh
Elder User
Man, that looks sweet!

Old 01-01-2004, 06:09 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Good to hear from you George!

It isn't the same without you around here. I hope you enjoyed the holidays. From the looks of the PICs, I'd say you did. Can't believe that's the same greasy rusty thing I looked at last winter.

I know you can't break the Y in normally but don't sweat it. Just avoid prolonged periods without varying the RPM and I think she'll be OK. Tim's correct, but I'm sure he agrees you don't just shut it off now and let it rot for years while you finish the truck. The effects of that option are far worse.

Stop in now and then and say hello. We understand if you can only stay a minute.

Take Care and tell Barb hello.

Old 01-01-2004, 07:20 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
George

Happy Holidays

Sure missed your wise a----er wisdom around here.

Drop by for some mental maintenance when you can.

Old 01-01-2004, 07:43 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
"I know you can't break the Y in normally but don't sweat it. Just avoid prolonged periods without varying the RPM and I think she'll be OK. Tim's correct, but I'm sure he agrees you don't just shut it off now and let it rot for years while you finish the truck. The effects of that option are far worse."

Of course I agree with fenders - get yourself a 5 gal bucket to sit on and as soon as possible, drive your chassis down the back alleys anytime the cops are busy out front - lol I know you'll do it - you just HAVE to.........you can't help yourself. I got some funny looks driving around with just the cab sitting on the chassis, no glass, no hood or fenders - just a cab and engine. Drove the thing 5 miles one way like that, but at 50 mph the windchill got pretty intense.... with a grin running from ear to ear. Go George, go!!!

Old 01-01-2004, 08:09 PM
atticmole
Senior User
Hey George

Now that Is a GREAT looking engine!! The little bit of black really makes that yellow look great. What color yellow is that?

It's nice to hear from you. Happy New Year.

Old 01-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master
George,
Very good to hear from you! You've done an awesome job on that engine of yours. Looks sweet!
Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2004, 11:38 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
George,

You have been sorely missed. In your absence, I've had to be the voice of reason and sober second thought for this unruly bunch. The summer can't come soon enough for you to resume your rightful spot.

I did catch your note and it's repeated reference to cleaning. The only thing I've ever seen cleaner than my garage floor is that engine of your's. (I wonder once Earl is done if you'll actually take it out and risk soiling him...)

Great to hear from you and I hope the reason for the medical expenses is now behind you.

Later,

Old 01-02-2004, 12:33 AM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks a bunch you guys - it's been great to get the engine going and even nicer to "hear your voices" again.

4speed - yes, we put the original rubber grommets on the plug wires, and no, they were pretty easy to install and not a pain at all. I got mine from Joblot Automotive. I had the original sheet metal brackets that go around the rubber grommets. I blasted and painted them and then finished up with just a little sheet metal straightening. If you want detailed pictures let me know. I certainly have them and would try to e-mail them to you as soon as I got a few minutes.

Tim and Dewayne, I know I gotta get Earl out and put some load on that engine. I already have asked the police chief (he lives a couple of doors up the street) and he said he'd love to see it go too. Even offered to block off the two intersections I'd need to go through to run it around the block a couple of times. Great guy, small town. The 3/4" plywood base, temporary frame mounting hardware, sturdy wooden chair, and seat belts are all ready. As soon as I move the temporary wiring on the engine around a little and finish a couple of other details, I'll take Earl for a spin. Don't worry, I'll take pictures. Don't know when I'll get time to post them, though.

Larry, here is the paint information. These were the closest matches to my best estimate of the original colors. All of it is Krylon (Duplicolor) Engine Enamel or High Heat Ceramic Engine Paint. I still need to repaint the oil breather cap to match the valve covers, and a take care of a few other small items.

Valve covers - DE1650 Cast Coat Aluminum (500F)
Black items - DH1602 High Heat Black (1200F)
Block and heads - DE1642 Daytona Yellow (500F)

Fergie, the cleaning comments I made referred mostly to the inside parts of the engine. The machine shop drilled it into Greg and me that, for the engine to last, everything has to be operating-room clean (except for engine oil and assembly lube) before we assemble it. I think they have had a couple of experiences with Jethro and Cletus taking a freshly remachined engine and assembling it on the manure pile in the barn. And yes, I do plan to get the outside of the engine dirty by using it. I just hope it doesn't rust or corrode any time soon. Thus, the thorough (I hope) paint job.

The big medical bills concern some treatment one of my sons badly needed a couple of years ago. The insurance company has decided that my policy didn't cover it. No point in losing sleep over that. The second job is a good character building challenge. It keeps me from losing sight of how important my family is relative to a little lost time with Earl.

As far as riding herd on the unruly crowd, I can't think of a better person for the job than ... what am I saying!?!?! Please don't tell me you guys are letting Fergie guide you instead of Kenny or some other responsible person.

Gotta go put some hours in on job #2. I'll try to check back in a few days to catch any replies. Thanks again, you all made my day with the support and the reconnect. Again, Happy New Year and I hope to be back in the saddle again soon.

Old 01-02-2004, 06:53 AM
F250Rob
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Motor looks great, and I agree it's good to have you back.

Hope the New Year brings a better schedule back to your life.

Old 01-02-2004, 09:59 AM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Earl

As far as riding herd on the unruly crowd, I can't think of a better person for the job than ... what am I saying!?!?! Please don't tell me you guys are letting Fergie guide you instead of Kenny or some other responsible person.
Handsome Bob has been doing rather well in your stead, George. That is, doing well riding herd on new guys and Daryl, 4speed and Penn Dick... he manages their unrulyness with a certain amount of style and grace. There is less success with the other "loose cannons" (no offense, 'fenders, it's only an expression... I'm not pointing the finger... I'm talking about Niolon too... and Carl and Vern and Paul and ...
Outnumbered. himmelberg

Quick Reply: Earl Lives!!!