4.0L SOHC V6 Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 09:30 AM
metrobill
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 4.0L SOHC V6 Engine Swap

I am preparing to install a Ford 4.0L SOHC V6 with 5 speed automatic (5R55E) transmission into my 1941 International 1/2 ton pickup (Old Binders rule!). In looking over the wiring diagrams and information on the various forums (Hotrodder, here and others), it appears that I can cobble the wiring harnesses and electronics and make this thing run. I've determined from various searches that a standalone engine management harness is not available for this engine from Ford or other parties. My biggest concern is the PATS II feature which I will need to get disabled in the PCM. Can this feature be deactivated by the shops that do reflashing of PCMs? I do not currently have a 2001 Ford PCM that comprises my engine/tranny combo but expect to have it shortly. What other items should I be wary of or should I have programmed out of the PCM? Any suggestions short of going to a GM crate engine are welcomed.

Old 12-31-2003, 05:55 PM
04FX4Dave
New User
Im fairly new to the truck world but Ive been working on Mustangs and Cobras for years. Many people have been swapping the 03 Mustang Cobra engine into older 96-98 GTs and have had the same problem with PATS. From what I understand they were able to get past this with a custom computer chip such as a Diablo or Autologic. Check with a reputable chip dealer and they should be able to tell you. Hope this helps.

Old 02-09-2004, 03:48 AM
smaybery
New User
Don't and I repeat don't do this. The 4.0 sohc is a piece of stuff I would not put on a trailer to take to the dump. Drain all fluids and use it for a fish attractant. I have one. They have guts for a 6 holer but they don't last and ford will not fix the problem. They have two cam shaft chains that operate the sohc on both sides. One is in the front for the left bank and the other connects to the rear of the crankshaft to drive the right. The cassette (tensioner) for these chains fail because of a $7 item called a cassette and the chain becomes loose and knocks holes in the valve covers. When the noise from the chain slapping is first noticed, ford tells you is is normal and they have a service bull@#$@#iton on it. Later it fails completely. Ford knows about the problem but refuses to fix unless you fork out the $3000 for a new block. They claim that particles of metal fall into the oil pan and is despersed into the engine and unless you replace the block, it can't be fixed. Even if you do have it fixed, it is the same thing you had before the failure and is going to happen again. I have one collecting pine needles in my front yard right now with 79000 miles on it right now because of it. Do not put this piece of doo in anything you need for transportation.......................If you search this web site, you will find that many people have this problem and some have actually has success getting it fixed by working out part of the cost with the dealer if you can get to the dealer you bought it from but most are in the same boat i am in. I repeat...........stay away from the sohc.................If ford has a service bullitin on it, it is a common problem!!!!!!!!!! And they don't fix it. If you can find out otherwise, please let me know. I love my explorer and would love to have it running again but I can buy a used jeep in good shape for what it would cost to fix this thing that wouldn't hold a match let alone a candle to a CJ7

Old 02-10-2004, 10:08 AM
GizmosStang
New User
Thumbs down RE:4.0L SOHC V6 Engine Swap

Take the 4.0L SOHC to the nearest junk yard and swap for a OHV 4.0L or 5.0L to put in...

The only good thing about the 4.0L SOHC is they are more expensive so you should have no problems what so ever trading you for the much more solid and proven 4.0L OHV or 5.0L.

The SOHC motor has a serious problem with the oil system to the timing guide and tensioner that will cause you more headaches than the swap is worth... Ford put all plastic guides and tensioner arm in there that shred themselves over much time at all especially at start up...

Find a donor Stang or F150 to pull a fuel injected 5.0 or even 5.8 to go in and you will be far happier with the results, both are proven engines that have been around for 30+ years without major issues...

Old 02-11-2004, 02:53 PM
metrobill
New User
4.0L SOHC V6 Engine Swap

How disheartening!! - This engine has only 23K on it. I will have to stew on this for a while.

Old 02-11-2004, 04:04 PM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
I read in a hot rod mag last night about custom harnesses for the (drum roll) 4.6L v8 just for your application.

If you do a google search for the subject (custom engine harnesses) along that lines you ought to come up with the site.

Oh yeah, for teh trouble, why a v6 anyway? Maybe a 300 I6, but 4.6L ought to do the job.

As for the 4.0L guys, man that's too bad. I am starting to wish Ford would put the 2.3L in SuperCabs again after earing that stuff. I *thought* my SuperCab would be gutless, but with 40 more ponies, I'm wondering how that would be, since I sure don't care for the 3.0 and now the 4.0L if Ford really needs teh $3,000 bigguns *that* bad to fix the tensioner-related issues.