Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Is GM the only one that get's it???

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 12:27 PM
cableguy2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Is GM the only one that get's it???

Now that I have caught your attention, my question really stems around the performance trucks that Ford, GM and Dodge have introduced to the public.

Ford has the fantastic Lightning with 380HP and great looks to boot. What's missing is an extended cab version for the majority of the population that have a family but want the performance features in a truck verse a sports car.

Dodge has the new SRT-10 with 500HP from a Viper engine. I, too, think this is an awesome truck but no extended cab cability. Also very expensive and not pratical for most of the general public.

GM introduced in 2003 the Chevrolet Silverado SS. Can't compare this truck at all performance wise to the Lightning or the SRT-10 but, what they did recognize, is that people want an extended cab and offered the SS in that configuration. 345HP is no comparison but they are off on the right track.

Now GM has a loooong way to go to catch up to both the Ford and the Dodge in terms of factory performance, but why aren't Ford and Dodge making this truck to a more widely appealing audience? I have three kids all under the age of 9 and I would find it hard to believe that I am the only one that would love to have a factory performance enhanced truck that can hold my entire family?

Ford does have the Harley-Davidson Crew Cab and is introducing a 250-based version as well but that truck only appeals to a very select audience. I like Harley's but I don't want a Harley-based truck! Plus, the Harley version is only 340HP, down 40HP from the Lightning...go figure.

I thoroughly understand that the added weight would effect the performance characteristics of the extended cab but I feel confident that there are many of us that would love to have it if they would only build it. Having to take a stock extended cab and do the same thing is always an option but at a much greater cost and generally impacts the factory warranty.

Any thoughts as to why only GM has decided to offer a performance truck in an extended cab configuration?

Would you, if you had a family, buy a extended cab if it was available in a Lightning or Dodge?

Very unpratical for me to buy any truck that isn't extended or crew cab...why are the engineers missing out on this great opportunity? Really a shame that GM didn't do their job right when introducing the SS and put a blower on it. Not enough performance when compared to the Lightning and still pricey to boot. If they had only gotten it right...I might know what my next truck would be without hesitation

Cableguy2

Old 12-30-2003, 12:53 PM
sinjin
Posting Guru
Supercrew Lightning with would be what I'd like to see also.
AWD if possible.

I have one little guy now and may have another.
Sucks to not have a Daddy performance truck available.

Cableguy2,
How's that back seat you have now? I doubt my 13 yr old stepson at 170# and 5'8'' would be too comfortable in any extended cab, Dodge's quadcab maybe.

Last edited by sinjin; 12-30-2003 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:20 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
From what I have seen you can order your lightning anyway you want. I saw one at the track that was 4WD and jacked up a little. It was orderded from the factory that way.

Old 12-30-2003, 02:39 PM
cableguy2
New User
Sinjin - the back seat is actually VERY comfortable with plenty of leg room...more than I had in my 97 F-150 SC. Lots of nice leather and very cushy. I take trips for work periodically with my some of my employees and we can fit three very comfortably. One gentleman is 5'11", another is around 5'9" and the lady is around 5'8". My team actually commented the first time we went on a 92 mile trip each way how surprised they were that it was as comfortable as it is.

Glad to hear that I am not the only one looking for performance in a SC or CC truck.

Cableguy2

Old 12-30-2003, 08:30 PM
RTHuckster
Freshman User
RatSmoker: The Lightning comes in only Standard cab, what you saw was a standard F-150 4x4 with Lightning badges.

Rick

Old 12-31-2003, 07:44 PM
Mike Lewis
Freshman User
The issue is simple: Ford is losing touch with the guy who buys a truck to do work, and who doesn't care about luxuries one would expect in a very nice car (quietness, heated leather seats, etc).

The new trucks are too expensive, and Ford is catering to folks who have more money than need for a truck (Harley Davidson F-150, King Ranch, SuperDuty SPORT package, etc.)

They're driving the price of trucks up for those of us who really do need a capable truck for work. We should not have to pay $35k for a diesel that will safely pull a 10,000+ pound trailer.

$35k, with 2.9% financing (not sure if that is available for the SuperDutys) over 6 years is a $530/month payment. I end of paying $3200 more for the truck due to interest.

6 years is 3 more years than warranty covers for most items (the engine is warranted for 100,000 miles--probably about 4-5 years for me).

Anyway... I just can't see buying a new truck at the prices the manufacturers are asking. You'd have to be a two-income household with no mortgage and no kids to be able to comfortably afford one.

Old 12-31-2003, 09:50 PM
otto
Posting Guru
I would personally hope ford never reduces the lightning to extended cab, its not a sport truck if its ext cab or crew cab, might as well be long box too

Old 12-31-2003, 09:53 PM
otto
Posting Guru
by the way i own a reg cab stepside 2000 s-10 xtreme 4300, and if the general calls this xtreme what would they call a 380hp 4200lb flying brick ?

Old 01-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Ratsmoker
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by RTHuckster
RatSmoker: The Lightning comes in only Standard cab, what you saw was a standard F-150 4x4 with Lightning badges.

Rick
I saw the engine and the front diff. It looked identical to the lightning engine. He ran a 15.4 in the quarter. Way too quick for a stock F-150.

Old 01-01-2004, 02:11 PM
cableguy2
New User
Ratsmoker, RTHuckster is correct. You can ONLY get a Lightning in a standard cab. What you saw was a modified truck with new badging. People modify their trucks all day long...many have taken standard Sierra Pickup and replaced the front lights and grills to make them look like Denali's and then put Denali badging on them. Not a Denali but they would like you to think so. Obviously, someone put a SC unit on the Extended Cab and replaced the badging and fooled even you

Cableguy2

Old 01-02-2004, 01:37 AM
Majisto
Senior User
Originally posted by Ratsmoker
I saw the engine and the front diff. It looked identical to the lightning engine. He ran a 15.4 in the quarter. Way too quick for a stock F-150.
Well...the F-150 did come with a 5.4 motor like in the Lightning, and there is NO way a Lightning will run 15s, period. I usually see high 13s and 14s on a bad day. You must live 10,000 feet up with 100% humidity and 100 degree weather to see a Lightning run a 15 second pass.

Old 01-03-2004, 11:39 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im w/ mike lewis here but a s-crew based L would be nice. the L is aimed more towards a select audience anyway like the corba or cam-bird SS/Ramair mumbo jumbo.

Old 01-04-2004, 05:06 PM
78custom
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
saying a lightining needs to be offered in a extended cab is like saying a shelby cobra jet needs four doors? it doesn't make sense. just buy some performance parts for a regular F150. and who is going to show up at a drag strip with 2 kids in the back and a wife in the passenger seat? (lets buy a huge excursion with w4d and go rock crawling!) and who would want to put there family in more danger with a 400hp grocery getter?

Old 01-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Cody1960
Junior User
GM has "gotten it" as long as I can remember. They are still providing their loyal customers with the same crap year after year. The SS is an overpriced and underpowered piece just like the rest of their line. If you want a truck with performance you are going to have to take what is available or make it what you want. You can take a new Ford equiped like you want and add a Supercharger, chip, air box, exhaust and be a happy camper. Cost of all mods will be around 5500, quite a bit cheaper than what the SS costs, and you will be pleased. It is not just Ford who is losing track of what people want in trucks. Ford has the largest market in trucks, and you can bet that they have done their research to find out what SELLS. They are definately leaving some behind in their wake, but they will sell the most. Just like the wars between the Mustangs and the Camaro/Firebird, the Camaro/Firebird won some battles along the way, but the Mustang won the war. Ford is concerned with what sells, not what a few individuals want. It is truly unfortunate that this is the way it is, but you can't stop it. Never could, never will. I remember when they made the body change between the 79 and the 80, the first time I saw it I nearly cried. It was not nearly as nice looking, and I knew when I saw it that the absence of the solid front axle in the 4X4 was not as tough, and that it would not last as long. But that body style sold more than any other. Ford also didn't offer a 4 barrel carb like the GM's did, and that always got under my skin, but the fords would still outperform the GM's stock for stock. They have traditionally left a few things out of the mix to keep from really offering a substantially better truck, and yet they continue to lead the sales charts. You can't argue with success, but I know what you mean about how some of the things that they do are aggravating.

Old 01-05-2004, 10:50 AM
sinjin
Posting Guru
The desire for a "performance" family vehicle is presently well established in the market. I think Ford would do very well to offer a 4 door pu version to catch those who would love a Lightning but need the space. I too wouldn't want the Harley not because it isn't fairly well done it's just a bit lamoid IMO.
Additionally the "heritage" aint too safe in a crash by what I've seen in tests.
I'm sure aftermarket can get you there but I aint no mechanic and after a monthly payment it's hard to justify dumping more cash into a truck with all the other family priorities.