1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Getting some brakes or Stopping has been such a habit

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 06:47 AM
55Bubba
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting some brakes or Stopping has been such a habit

Went out to run the engine and keep everything charged and pushed the brake pedal and all the way to the floor. So now instead of changing engines, it's do the brakes. Now the question.....Should I go ahead and change springs, retainers, adjusters and everything? I plan on new wheel cylinders, shoes, and hoses and truning the drums. Should I go with the new silicone brake fluid or will it cause problems?

I have noted prices on wheel cylinders from $19 to $38. So the local places should have things much cheaper, right?

Any idea on total cost?

What a way to start the new year !

Broke Bubba

Old 12-29-2003, 07:22 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bubba,

Regarding the silicone fluid: It's great for folks like me who live in an area where I have to store my truck in the garage 5-6 months of the year due to salt and snow, but I see you are in South Carolina where you can drive your truck year round. Storage seems to be the worst enemy of brake systems. I don't know that you have a real need for silicone fluid, so I'd just use a high quality Dot 4 fluid. Besides, to switch over you would have to clean out every bit of the old fluid to be sure the new system wasn't contaminated. That means disassemble the MC and blow out all the lines with compressed air. I've found that the best prices on wheel cylinders seem to be at my local parts houses too.

Old 12-29-2003, 11:53 AM
Scott123
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely change the springs/retainers/etc too--they're the cheapest components and if you don't know how old they are it is a must. Not for certain on your year, but I got a complete spring/hold down/adjuster kit from autozone for a 68 rear axle for around $11 or so.

Old 12-29-2003, 12:09 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
What Scott said. The stuff is too cheap to not replace. We don't want to read any brake failure posts from you. Only exeption might be the starwheel adjuster. Last pair of those I bought scared me a little. It is easy enough to see if it is still useable. Start wire wheeling and soaking in the Liquid Wrench. You can usually restore them to perfect operation with a little patience. Easy on the vice grips or you'll trash the teeth. Heat will loosen them if soaking doesn't work. Put some Anti-sieze on it when they are free. I've restored hundreds of them that were stuck. As long as they aren't an unrecognizable hunk of rust.

Old 12-29-2003, 01:53 PM
55Bubba
Senior User
AHHHH Gentlemen, Friends one and all. The woman I promised to love honor and take on vacation has loosed the purse springs and said, "well, If I'm gonna ride in the damn thing, you better be able to stop." So it's off to the parts house. She also informed me that we could go Friday and pick up the rest of my Christmas...a shiny new wire welder.... ya gotta love a woman like that. The first part of the christmas stuff was a sawzall and a 4.5 inch angle grinder.

Y'all think I should take her to a chick flick Saturday? Sure want to keep her happy

Happier Bubba

Old 12-30-2003, 06:58 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Bubba,

If she ever gets tired of you...I'm available!

Old 12-30-2003, 01:09 PM
55Bubba
Senior User
Sorry Vern, she's addicted to overfed, grey haired, thinning haired red necks and you probably don't qualify. Thank God for small miracles !

Bubba

Old 12-31-2003, 07:00 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally posted by 55Bubba
Sorry Vern, she's addicted to overfed, grey haired, thinning haired red necks and you probably don't qualify. Thank God for small miracles !

Bubba
Hey, I got everything but the red neck...guess I could stand out in the sun for awhile and get that too... 'cept the sun don't shine much here this time of year! She sounds like a keeper...

Old 12-31-2003, 10:38 AM
cheinz46
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your truck sits for any length of time, silicone fluid is the way to go. I've had it in my T-Bird for over a year and have had no problems. An even more expensive method is to have your master and wheel cylinders lined with brass. There's a place called "Brake Cylinder Solutions" on the web that does this service. Anyone out ther use them?

Old 01-05-2004, 04:19 PM
texasbob
Tuned
Originally posted by 55Bubba

Bubba
LORDY Bubba, sounds lak we cud be twins!

Bob

Old 01-06-2004, 06:46 AM
55Bubba
Senior User
Bob

I do hav some cuzzins in the Lone Star. Course, theys married to each other ! Sees ya at the re-union

Bubba