2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4 3v Power

Old 12-31-2003, 09:10 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ford has had drive by wire in different vehicles (most notably the Powerstroke) for many years and it has little impact on throttle response. Axle ratio is a factor, as it cam timing. Throttle sensitity, another factor, is determined not by whether the system is drive by wire or not, but by a table in the ROM.

Old 12-31-2003, 02:10 PM
1955ford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbnail quote in feb. edition of motortrend magazine "engine dosen't feel like 300 hp"

Old 12-31-2003, 02:17 PM
Cody1960
Junior User
Originally posted by 1955ford
Thumbnail quote in feb. edition of motortrend magazine "engine dosen't feel like 300 hp"
I have read that as well, and from my own experience thought the same thing when driving one. In comparison to my 2000 F150 with the 5.4 I thought that my current truck was faster as well, till I compared the speed getting on the on ramp that I use everyday, and the 04 was at the very least about 7 mph faster. It would be a lot faster yet if it had the 5 speed auto that Ford screwed us out of. I hear that it will be in for 05, so I will wait.

Old 12-31-2003, 07:23 PM
borderman
Senior User
Originally posted by ck1404
Sounds like a lot of the lack of acceleration is the throttle response. I suspect since this is drive-by-wire technology and since Ford has a hard time getting any of their software right early on - the throttle experience will improve soon. Another reflash thing like the PSD's of late? The car magazines have pretty much tested this new F-150 in most variations. The conclusion is the new 5.4 is a bit slow off the line - yes sluggish is not an uncommon phrase. Maybe at some point it tows better once it reaches a certain rev point although the new Titan just keeps coming on irregardless of towing contests. I think the biggest problem is the old automatic transmission. Ford has a new 5-speed close to ready to go or at least reported to be close. Until that happens, the Nissan Titans of the world will win the quickest truck contests with what is apparently a very nice five-speed automatic backing up a strong engine.

I also think a new five speed with shorter gearing would help the Ford . The Titan offers only one rear end ratio, a 3.35. With the 5 speed auto it's equal to a 4.10 . Ford already uses a five speed in its Ranger pickup and has had it for a couple of years . I just wonder why they didn't develop one for the full size truck since it's their biggest money maker.

Old 12-31-2003, 09:44 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally posted by webmaster
Ford has had drive by wire in different vehicles (most notably the Powerstroke) for many years and it has little impact on throttle response. Axle ratio is a factor, as it cam timing. Throttle sensitity, another factor, is determined not by whether the system is drive by wire or not, but by a table in the ROM.
Do you mean its that way on a conventional throttle cable vehicle too? Or did you mean that its not simply the fact its wire, its how its setup in the programming to determine the sensitivity. IE, the throttle can be slower in low range to make it easier to modulate with programming.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:04 AM
Donahoe
Senior User
I have had my 04 F-150 for 4 months now and it has to be the Biggest Pig I ever drove. I love the looks and the comfert and how quite the truck is but the drive by wire really has to go. Off-road its a Joke. Try to correct a truck sliding sideways with no throttle responce. Hopefully there will be some aftermarket fixes comming down the pipe for these trucks.

Old 01-03-2004, 01:18 AM
sattie
Freshman User
it has power !!!!!!

i have just broken the 3000 mark on my 04 lariat!!!!and im having more fun than the first day its going to get faster when i put the colad air intake and the power programmer when it comes out!!!!!and im just loving the looks of other drivers when i pass by......

Old 01-06-2004, 12:43 PM
SoCal FX4
New User
The throttle response is very slow with the drive by wire. I'm betting with the CAN setup they have it can be improved upon with a software upgrade.

Old 01-06-2004, 01:09 PM
MetalSludge
Senior User
Yeah I read that too .. but they are testing "NEW" vehicles and we all know the Tritons dont come alive till about 5000 miles.

Old 01-06-2004, 01:32 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by aldridgec
Do you mean its that way on a conventional throttle cable vehicle too? Or did you mean that its not simply the fact its wire, its how its setup in the programming to determine the sensitivity. IE, the throttle can be slower in low range to make it easier to modulate with programming.
What I mean is how the signal is transmitted has nothing to do with it because the computer determines throttle response and sensitivity by looking up fuel tables based on throttle position. Drive by wire can also result in more precise throttle control because the computer can dampen out foot shake, twitches, etc.

Old 01-06-2004, 01:38 PM
Donahoe
Senior User
Ken, The problem seems to be that Ford set up the throttle on the 04 for people with the shakes. I hope someone comes out with a fix I can feel the power in there somewhere it just not when you step on the gas. My superduty is way more responsive and its of 40's.

Old 01-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Carnivore
Senior User
you just need to get used to pressing the pedal harder. Im slowly starting to figure out that I need to stomp to go.

Old 01-07-2004, 08:23 AM
DeepBlue
New User
I have an '04 F150 and I felt the same way at first - seemed sluggish. However, it seems that it is more a function of the transmission. When I accelerate "normally", the transmission will old the engine RPM consistently at about 2100 RPM. The truck will accelerate and shift up through the gears, but the RPM stays fairly constant - so your ears tell you nothing is happening - but it is.

This truck is very different in that is is so smooth that it takes a little getting used to. However, I have had mine for a few weeks now and I love it. The other trucks have some serious catching up to do.

That being said, I'm sure that some fine tuning to the computer will occur and make the truck even better.

Old 01-07-2004, 09:17 AM
Donahoe
Senior User
Yeah dont get me wrong the truck is wonderful. My only complaint is throttle response. i have a 4-door Lariate and its the nices truck I have ever owned. The only thing that bums me out is my 95 Dodge Ram Spanks it in the power realm.

Old 01-07-2004, 12:55 PM
Carnivore
Senior User
Donahoe, I had a 2001 Dodge Ram off road with the 4.10 rear end and the 360 v8 and that does NOT come close to beating this Ford. Not even close. Try again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5.4 3v Power